Media and punditry

BOF

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

And it's $20 a month (or $150 a year), and also shows League Cup games, every CL and EL match as well. No need to go through all the illegal streaming hoops, just drop a cool 20/month or 150/year and you won't have to worry about watching football. Sky and co. are just dragging out the inevitable. You can't beat a service like that.

Yep I imagine this will be more like it. 

I know it’s not the same thing because it’s wrestling. But the WWE Network was £9.99 a month when it launched (might still be). 

and for that you get every single event, tv show PPV that they do plus all their documentaries and other tv shows. Plus you get every show and ppv they’ve ever done, including (some) other wrestling organisations. 

It’s not directly comparable but the monthly PPVs used to be £20-30. Just for the one event. Yet they’re all included. 

That’s what I see the Premier League moving towards. 

Sky charge a lot because they have to buy the rights and THEN make a profit from showing them. If the Premier League centralised it it cuts out that bidding part. 

Could they feasibly get 10 million fans using their streaming service at, say, £20 a month? That’s £200million TV revenue a month. It’s a lot of money

• Like 1

4 middle aged white guys, guess something had to give in this day and age, Merson is the best one to keep around from a PR perspective after all his recent troubles.

Guess we’ll see more of Clinton Morrison et al moving forward, no idea if it’s a good or bad thing, time will tell.

Perhaps driven by nostalgia but whilst I hate certain aspects of what it’s become I’ve grown up with Sky and their presentation of football, I can remember the excitement of the first Premier League season, the excitement of being on live and often going to a neighbours house to watch it as we couldn’t afford it ourselves, I loved soccer am in the 90’s and early 00’s, I’ve watched Jeff and soccer Saturday for 20+ years now.

The fact you have/had to pay for sky was always a big issue for some folk but look at what you have to pay now to maintain a similar level of content, Sky, BT, Amazon etc it’s become ridiculous.

All in all, I find the demise of Sky quite sad, really hope they pick good people to replace the guys leaving soccer Saturday and not just people who can tick off certain boxes in an audit.

On 27/08/2020 at 11:43, MellbergsBeard said:

I hope Liam Rosenior gets a more prominent role, if he want it that is and I do enjoy listening to Micah Richards. 

Rosenior is streets ahead of Richards. Articulate , knowledgeable and engages the viewer. Richards just......laughs , all the way through.

• Like 2

On 27/08/2020 at 00:07, rbcuk said:

Just hope they don’t have sue smith as a replacement, she’s bloody awful, she did plenty of the behind closed doors for them was dreadful punditry 

She is shocking. If ever there was an example or propping up the quota. Sinfully boring and just generic sound bites over and over.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2020 at 17:58, TrentVilla said:

Sky Sports is ultimately dying, a slow prolonged death admittedly but it is dying.

They’ve lost sports packages to other broadcasters both foreign and domestic, they are under threat from streaming services like Amazon and they can’t stop illegal streaming on an industrial scale.

They’ve had to cancel Sunday Supplement, Soccer Am has died on the vine and now they are canning people from Soccer Saturday in a vain attempt to remain relevant.  But the sands are shifting too fast beneath their feet, the younger audience they probably want to target engage with sport in different ways not by sitting watching people in a studio and crucially they don’t pay the bills. I wouldn’t mind betting that a lot of the people that do pay the bills are the people moaning about the presenter changes.

I think Sky is doomed, it will be replaced by a PL streaming service or have its lunch eaten by Netflix or Amazon. If they ever lose the PL coverage then Jeff better turn the lights out before he goes.

Interesting view, you could be right. Generally people have shorter attentions spans and less likely in the future to sit down and watch 3-4 hours of 'sports entertainment' paid by subscription with lots of adverts. Sorry what was I saying I lost concentration as I was on my twitter feed lol.

The future is the t'internet. Will people in the future continue to pay more money to watch less stuff in shorter periods of time? And will advertisers continue to pay the dosh?

In USA sport games take far too long so they are suffering already, baseball in in big decline. Cricket in the future will just be 20/20 and the ashes series. What will football do? 60 minute games?

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Interesting view, you could be right. Generally people have shorter attentions spans and less likely in the future to sit down and watch 3-4 hours of 'sports entertainment' paid by subscription with lots of adverts. Sorry what was I saying I lost concentration as I was on my twitter feed lol.

The future is the t'internet. Will people in the future continue to pay more money to watch less stuff in shorter periods of time? And will advertisers continue to pay the dosh?

In USA sport games take far too long so they are suffering already, baseball in in big decline. Cricket in the future will just be 20/20 and the ashes series. What will football do? 60 minute games?

I note with interest yesterday SSN went to “content creators” to get their views. Essentially they know fans are more turning their attention to internet “fan” media and they can’t compete so now are trying to be a medium for it but that approach is fundamentally flawed. But these guys are taking the fame and the pay cheque as you can understand.

The idea you have to subscribe and wait for these guys to be on is exactly what “the youth” don’t want. They want what they want when they want it, on demand not when a broadcaster schedules. Sky are trying to compete with something they don’t really understand.

I saw this coming years ago with Sky, they could and should have adapted their business model and someone on big bucks should have driven it through. They aren’t dead in the water yet but they are taking on a lot of water and trying to bail it out with a bucket with a big hole.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I note with interest yesterday SSN went to “content creators” to get their views. Essentially they know fans are more turning their attention to internet “fan” media and they can’t compete so now are trying to be a medium for it but that approach is fundamentally flawed. But these guys are taking the fame and the pay cheque as you can understand.

The idea you have to subscribe and wait for these guys to be on is exactly what “the youth” don’t want. They want what they want when they want it, on demand not when a broadcaster schedules. Sky are trying to compete with something they don’t really understand.

I saw this coming years ago with Sky, they could and should have adapted their business model and someone on big bucks should have driven it through. They aren’t dead in the water yet but they are taking on a lot of water and trying to bail it out with a bucket with a big hole.

Yeah its a bit like HMV in the 90s who  failed to see online sales, and then eventually streaming services. I think they didn't even bother with a online sales for years.

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Yeah its a bit like HMV in the 90s who  failed to see online sales, and then eventually streaming services. I think they didn't even bother with a online sales for years.

You can’t fight the tide but very smart people can predict them (I don’t mean me)

10 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Rosenior is streets ahead of Richards. Articulate , knowledgeable and engages the viewer. Richards just......laughs , all the way through.

which is why he should be on super sunday or Monday night football and not soccer saturday

if the format remains the same then Richards fits soccer Saturday, smile on his face, easy explanations, likeable guy, get him and crouch on there 

• Like 2

Watched that transfer show on sky earlier, wished I hadn’t bothered all 3 are prize plums, Brian Swanson, Kaveh Solhekol and Dharmesh Sheth, talk about scraping the barrel with them 3, all you hear from them my sources have told me, they are atrocious  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Watched that transfer show on sky earlier, wished I hadn’t bothered all 3 are prize plums, Brian Swanson, Kaveh Solhekol and Dharmesh Sheth, talk about scraping the barrel with them 3, all you hear from them my sources have told me, they are atrocious  

BREAKING TRANSFER NEWS: SKY SOURCES ARE REPORTING THE SWINDON 3RD CHOICE KEEPER HAS AGREED TO JOIN TAMWORTH, ITS 2/1 ON SKYBET

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

A new low for Sky Sports News as they report from outside a restaurant that Messi’a dad ate at and proceed to report exactly what he had for his lunch. I mean seriously....

Well, what did he have?! 

Â