Media and punditry

BOF

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Soccer Saturday became shit when it became unnecessary. 

As others have said, football has changed. I can get all the scores instantly on an app, minutes before soccer Saturday do. 

It USED to be the best way to get scores. So you’d watch it for that and then any comedy or banter was a pleasant distraction. 
But now it’s not the best way to get scores. And you don’t need it. So the only reason really to watch it is specifically for that banter. And it’s not good enough for that. And probably means they’re trying too hard as well

OMG AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

sorry to shout over your post there @Stevo985 someone just hit a good cross in the game I’m watching

I can’t watch it for that shit. Pissed me right off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was great back in 2000 to 2010. A bit like SSN and Soccer AM, it's not moved with the times. They are now overcompensating on SSN and I expect the same with this. I will miss it but only for nostalgia reasons and a reminder of simpler time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Jeff is thinking to walk out as well. If he does I might watch it again 

He was the main reason I stopped watching a few years ago. I know a lot of people seem to like him, but I find him incredibly irritating and cringe-worthy.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

It was great back in 2000 to 2010. A bit like SSN and Soccer AM, it's not moved with the times. They are now overcompensating on SSN and I expect the same with this. I will miss it but only for nostalgia reasons and a reminder of simpler time. 

Without watching it that much anymore they've put some absolute prize picks on SSN haven't they? The 2 that do the transfer centre are are anyway, awful presenters 

Sky Sports is ultimately dying, a slow prolonged death admittedly but it is dying.

They’ve lost sports packages to other broadcasters both foreign and domestic, they are under threat from streaming services like Amazon and they can’t stop illegal streaming on an industrial scale.

They’ve had to cancel Sunday Supplement, Soccer Am has died on the vine and now they are canning people from Soccer Saturday in a vain attempt to remain relevant.  But the sands are shifting too fast beneath their feet, the younger audience they probably want to target engage with sport in different ways not by sitting watching people in a studio and crucially they don’t pay the bills. I wouldn’t mind betting that a lot of the people that do pay the bills are the people moaning about the presenter changes.

I think Sky is doomed, it will be replaced by a PL streaming service or have its lunch eaten by Netflix or Amazon. If they ever lose the PL coverage then Jeff better turn the lights out before he goes.

• Like 4

Yeah I think a centralised streaming service owned by the Premier League or licensee by them or whatever will be where we end up. 

WWE Network might be the kind of model they follow

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I think a centralised streaming service owned by the Premier League or licensee by them or whatever will be where we end up. 

It is the next logical step and would massively increase revenue and its their only hope of steaming the tide of illegal streaming. 

Simon Jordan has been talking about it for years but thinks the PL are too incompetent/lazy to do it and he is probably right.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It is the next logical step and would massively increase revenue and its their only hope of steaming the tide of illegal streaming. 

How will it reduce the amount of illegal streams? People will be able to clone a legal stream and resell it won’t they (like now)?

1 minute ago, Genie said:

How will it reduce the amount of illegal streams? People will be able to clone a legal stream and resell it won’t they (like now)?

It won’t. But I think it would reduce the appetite for them. Instead of paying for Sky which is expensive because of their infrastructure more people may be willing to pay less for a streaming service for the league or even their club.

It won’t get rid of streams but it might reduce the demand. 

Exactly. It’ll be 20 quid a month or whatever but you’ll get every premier league game, and if it’s anything like the WWE Network you’ll get every premier league game ever. 

it won’t eradicate illegal streaming but I think more people would pay for that kind of service than would pay the same amount for sky sports where they get a relative handful of games 

• Like 1

I’d be up for £20 a month for all games, I suspect they’ll try and take the piss though. £9.99 a game (which Sky charge) or £50/£60 a month for all games.

I don’t think it would be as low as £20 a month for all games. 

Edited by Genie

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

WWE Network might be the kind of model they follow

They have a deal with DAZN in Canada where every PL game is live to stream and watch on demand later + all of their shows like Football Today, Weekend Review etc. It's rendered all these football channels like Sky completely obsolete for me. What else do you even need. Even the stock PL pundits are better (bar Michael Owen unfortunately). 

And it's $20 a month (or $150 a year), and also shows League Cup games, every CL and EL match as well. No need to go through all the illegal streaming hoops, just drop a cool 20/month or 150/year and you won't have to worry about watching football. Sky and co. are just dragging out the inevitable. You can't beat a service like that.

20 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

And it's $20 a month (or $150 a year), and also shows League Cup games, every CL and EL match as well. No need to go through all the illegal streaming hoops, just drop a cool 20/month or 150/year and you won't have to worry about watching football. Sky and co. are just dragging out the inevitable. You can't beat a service like that.

That’s a bloody bargain, I’d be all over that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

That’s a bloody bargain, I’d be all over that. 

It also has every televised Championship game, and the rights to every Serie A game as well. Apart from football, it has every NFL game, and high profile boxing/UFC matches from what I can remember, but I personally don't use it for anything other than football.

I was in the states for a couple of weeks for work and I wanted to watch the Villa games, found out that DAZN over there doesn't have the PL deal. I had to go searching for streams again and it was terrible. Once you experience that, you just can't go back to the old ways. Only thing missing is 4k quality. I imagine if Amazon gets a deal they'll offer that. It'd be over for Sky and co.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Genie said:

OMG AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

sorry to shout over your post there @Stevo985 someone just hit a good cross in the game I’m watching

I can’t watch it for that shit. Pissed me right off.

Spot on!

It was like they were trying to outdo each other. Screaming because someone had won a corner in a Brighton vs Watford 0-0 borefest. 

As others have said, Stelling started to believe the hype about himself as well. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

As others have said, Stelling started to believe the hype about himself as well. 

Stelling outed himself as a clearing in the woods when he tried to tell people that McLeish did a great job for Villa and what more could the fans expect. Never mind the time he tried to argue Pulis was a better option for United than Van Gaal

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I’d be up for £20 a month for all games, I suspect they’ll try and take the piss though. £9.99 a game (which Sky charge) or £50/£60 a month for all games.

I don’t think it would be as low as £20 a month for all games. 

No way. Nobody would buy it for that price. 

Â