Media and punditry

BOF

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Media are fuming over Werner choosing Chelsea over Liverpool. Every "journalist" had this as a done deal and have been caught looking quite stupid now

Every time I opened the sky sports app for what feels like the last 8 months there was always an article on Werner going to liverpool, now they even have a "analysis" on why he isn't joining, saying they couldn't guarantee playing time with Salah, Mane and Firminho at the club

18 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Every time I opened the sky sports app for what feels like the last 8 months there was always an article on Werner going to liverpool, now they even have a "analysis" on why he isn't joining, saying they couldn't guarantee playing time with Salah, Mane and Firminho at the club

What I don’t understand is how Liverpool haven’t been done for taping up. I listened to a podcast the other day, and they were saying it’s been fairly open that Werner has been meeting Klopp for a long time, having meals with him etc and discussing how it would work at the club. Liverpool never agreed a fee with RB, surely that’s against the rules. Chelsea were the only club to get fees agreed. 

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

What I don’t understand is how Liverpool haven’t been done for taping up. I listened to a podcast the other day, and they were saying it’s been fairly open that Werner has been meeting Klopp for a long time, having meals with him etc and discussing how it would work at the club. Liverpool never agreed a fee with RB, surely that’s against the rules. Chelsea were the only club to get fees agreed. 

Klopp apparently called him apologizing they couldn't afford him. 

Not 1st player tapped up recently either. Scummy club

12 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Klopp apparently called him apologizing they couldn't afford him. 

Not 1st player tapped up recently either. Scummy club

Going through family seems to be the new trend for big players. Forever hearing about neymar or werner’s dad having dinner with whoever or whatever club. 

Bit of a loophole for tapping up I reckon. Maybe. I dunno. Doesn’t seem right

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2020 at 06:40, Stevo985 said:

Going through family seems to be the new trend for big players. Forever hearing about neymar or werner’s dad having dinner with whoever or whatever club. 

Bit of a loophole for tapping up I reckon. Maybe. I dunno. Doesn’t seem right

De ligt is another one, his father in law does transfer interviews in the press 

I'm sure one of his family members got a huge negotiation fee which was one of the reasons (along with his agents £10m...) everyone apart from juve pulled away from him 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2020 at 05:40, Stevo985 said:

Nothing new.  We signed Alan Little because we wanted his brother, and that was in the early 70s. 

7 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Another day, another 'man u step up Grealish chase' bit in the bbc gossip column

In fairness these expert journalists said the same about Werner to Liverpool 😂

Souness' comments about villa sum up what's wrong with our media

"what can you tell us about villa?" 

"not a lot I haven't really watched them" 

"but we have to put something" 

"er...they spent money last summer..."

He hasn't got a clue, not qualified to talk about us but they stuck by his "insight" anyway to produce an utterly useless piece of garbage, not sure what pearls of wisdom he wheeled out with the other teams 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Souness' comments about villa sum up what's wrong with our media

"what can you tell us about villa?" 

"not a lot I haven't really watched them" 

"but we have to put something" 

"er...they spent money last summer..."

He hasn't got a clue, not qualified to talk about us but they stuck by his "insight" anyway to produce an utterly useless piece of garbage, not sure what pearls of wisdom he wheeled out with the other teams 

Souness is a very bitter individual. He hates that players make more money now and he hates that you can’t go round kicking lumps out of people. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Souness is a very bitter individual. He hates that players make more money now and he hates that you can’t go round kicking lumps out of people. 

Absolutely, there's loads of that with old pros. They are furious that they didn't get this money when they were out getting smashed three nights a week.

Souness wouldn't make it today, he'd be getting sent off every reserve team game and get released before he got any sniffs of first team action.

Souness is a miserable git but he was a world class footballer. He was one of the best players in a team who were dominating European football.  

Now chelsea have spent close to £100million on 2 players are the press going to stop peddling the myth about Lampard at chelsea bringing through the yoof?

8 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Now chelsea have spent close to £100million on 2 players are the press going to stop peddling the myth about Lampard at chelsea bringing through the yoof?

To be fair christensen was the first player to break through since Terry so for 3 of them to do it last year is good for them 

Lotfus cheek surely will be sold. Nearly 25 and seems to be following the lost England generation of being injured for half his career.

Guess he's someone we'll target if we stay up as he has presence which we need more of in central midfield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Tomori, James, Gilmour, Tammy, Mount, Cho.

They have some top young players and Lampard has blooded them well and successfully. I wish we had 6 academy players to throw in...

I would say that despite the 6 breaking through that they should be proud of they've also pissed a lot of talent up the wall too

Since we beat them in the next gen and had only grealish come through they've won the European U19 champions league twice, the u23s league, the u18s league twice and the FA youth Cup 7 times 

Before this season the lack of players breaking through there was criminal 

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

They have some top young players and Lampard has blooded them well and successfully. 

Only because they had to with the transfer ban. Don’t get me wrong it’s worked out for them. But they would never have employed Lampard or played so many youth if they hadn’t been banned 

Read 'charlie Nicholas premier league predictions' on the sky sports app. He usually spouts a load of shit on it. But, for me, what he said I'm the villa v Chelsea prediction was one of the worst things I've read in a long time. It's not on there anymore so I guess they've removed it but he said something along the lines of:

'that villa v sheff utd game was awful. Why were we waiting 100 days for that??'

Ummm, coronavirus Charlie. And who can blame the players with the conditions they are being made to play in. **** joker. Paid big money to talk shite like that.

Â