Media and punditry

BOF

I haven't watched MOTD for months.

So after fast forwarding all the endless Liverpool celebrations they spent about 5 minutes on the Villa game. At the end of the segment Garry asked Shearer and Danny Murphy who will stay up. Both said Watford were gone. Er 1 out of the 3 will stay up. That is what they are paid the big bucks for.

What is it with the thigh slap for Lineker? Its sooo annoying.

7 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Talksport have given jamie o'hara a presenting job, it's like listening to "lad bantz" down the pub

I never understood the Jamie O'Hara hype. Even when he played he was overhyped but he was very crap. Westwood for example was 10 times the player of O'Hara

My shift at work started 5 minutes before full time, so i listened to our game on 5live, generally it was good commentary even though chris sutton sounds like he'd rather be feeding millet to his pigeons rather than being paid to watch football, the real low point was when he asked his co commentator if fish live in the river Thames

Then I started my shift, put the radio on talksport, now I'm not expecting a 3 hour monologue of how aston villa survived, but ffs the first topic of conversation was man utd getting into the CL, followed by what does solskjaer do to win the league and then talking about pogba for a **** hour 

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Haha 1

Keane might be a miserable pundit but if had sense they would make a Richards/Keane buddy show. Classic entertainment 

I do like Richards he seems a genuine happy guy amd has a soft spot for Villa even though a shit player 

Didn't know who the other guy was with Rosenior, but yes he was great. Nice to have pundits who can watch the game and actually analyse.

90% of TV "analysis" is actually just describing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Why do the BBC persist with Danny Murphy his commentary today was bloody awful again 

It wasn't half - those two yellows he was bleating about - seemed like he wanted to something to say...

His nomination for best player on the pitch I hardly heard mentioned.

Gary and linker and "wrighty" .... nauseous and boring as hell - they've doing that "not like in your day...ho ho ho " for about 15 years- and it wasn't funny in the first place....

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

It wasn't half - those two yellows he was bleating about - seemed like he wanted to something to say...

Gary and linker and "wrighty" .... nauseous and boring as hell - they've doing that "not like in your day...ho ho ho " for about 15 years- and it wasn't funny in the first place....

Yeah when ceballos had a free kick he was saying it’s in was no where near, he’s bloody awful he’s bad enough when he’s on MOTD

VAR is such a joke. I have no problem with Peter Walton but here he is as a pundit making up excuses for todays embarrassments. Its the usual "Working as intended, no problems here."

Hilarious (because its not us getting shafted this time)

he starts about 12:15 mins in

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

1 hour ago, rbcuk said:

Why do the BBC persist with Danny Murphy his commentary today was bloody awful again 

Played for Liverpool all that matters. Not sure I have ever watched a game in the UK media without Liverpool presence. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Farcical. So little insight across the panel. You’re hoping for some real analysis and discussion and it’s so poor. Ashley Cole when put on the spot and asked what is Arteta’s tactical philosophy, “err well they play”. Shearer is the master of description. Thanks Alan but I have eyeballs. I actually prefer listening to journos, like on the European Football show or Sunday Supplement etc. They’re just football geeks, but it’s an interesting discussion and insightful at times.

6 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Farcical. So little insight across the panel. You’re hoping for some real analysis and discussion and it’s so poor. Ashley Cole when put on the spot and asked what is Arteta’s tactical philosophy, “err well they play”. Shearer is the master of description. Thanks Alan but I have eyeballs. I actually prefer listening to journos, like on the European Football show or Sunday Supplement etc. They’re just football geeks, but it’s an interesting discussion and insightful at times.

Not 1 mainstream pundit can make a technical point and its said and shows how lazy it is just soundbites. I watched clips of Champions League final punditry 2019 Mourinho and Wenger for some station but a masterclass on the game. 

Best actual UK pundits are Rosenior and Higginbotham even Keith Andrews(if ignore the accent) but have no fame so they wheel out shit like Redknapp, Neville and Carragher

• Like 1

NIcolas Anelka documentary on Netflix is quite good, he seems an honest guy who probably had too much too soon. Definitely a watch for any young player breaking through. Interesting hearing why he left some clubs, Houllier excuses not to sign him but signed Diouf. A few big name players interviewed as well plus that idiot Henry Winter

Amazing for me that Anelka is younger than Drogba and Henry when he burst on the scene before them.

On 31/07/2020 at 00:10, Tomaszk said:

Didn't know who the other guy was with Rosenior, but yes he was great. Nice to have pundits who can watch the game and actually analyse.

90% of TV "analysis" is actually just describing.

Rosenior is the best pundit out there but wont ever get the big games because he's not "a name". The masses don't want intelligent analysis, they want Thierry henry feeling up Jamie carragher 

• Like 1

Agree with a lot of the above. Liam Rosenior is an excellent pundit. He deserves to be featured on Prem games but he’s kind of moulded the role for himself for the EFL games.

i also think Andy Hinchcliffe is a decent co-commentator too. Speaks sense and reads and analyses the game intelligently. Heard a lot of him with Villa games in Championship and more recently this season in the Prem. like him. 

Edited by roonst83

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really good interview with Chris Kirkland, cant say I knew about some of the dark things that went through his career. Shows that footballers are human like the rest of us. Unsurprisingly Leeds fans again come across as the biggest clearings in the woods in England

Â