Media and punditry

BOF

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'll be honest part of it as well is willingness to do anything like that. Very much doubt they'll be many other current PL skippers who would want to do it. Plus so many aren't comfortable talking to the media.

The good thing about it though is that Deeney isn’t in favour of the league restarting and isn’t afraid to publicise that.

Piers Morgan is leading the media hatred against Erling Haaland because he answers questions correctly and not using cliches and crucially doesnt leave journalists a bite for a 2nd question 

I like a lot about BT Sport. They have good journalists on there rather than just ex-pros. James Richardson is my favourite football presenter.

In terms of the Bundesliga, Derek Rae is a good commentator. But I can't stand Steve McManaman. Does my **** head in. Wish they'd have a different pundit alongside Rae.

On 22/05/2020 at 22:30, Zatman said:

Piers Morgan is leading the media hatred against Erling Haaland because he answers questions correctly and not using cliches and crucially doesnt leave journalists a bite for a 2nd question 

I don't know what Piers is saying, but Haaland comes across as a right word removed in those interviews.

I'm all for footballer snot using cliches and saying what they actually think. But he just comes across as rude.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm all for footballer snot

Strange perversion but each to their own.

As for Haaland, I'm still trying to work out whether he's being rude or not. I reckon that in places he is (particularly when he stops paying attention to the first interviewer for instance, but I've seen loads of footballers do that when clearly called by a teammate in the background) but also he's generally a man of few words and wants to play football without answering what he sees as quite inane questions. What secret's he supposed to have, magic beans?

Or, he could just be a robot. Which is probable.

I couldn't watch the entirety of that video, he does seem very unlikeable. 

Thing is media interviews are part of the game, people, want to know about your character, drive and philosophy. What's the point if he is going to be so aloof?

30 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

Strange perversion but each to their own.

As for Haaland, I'm still trying to work out whether he's being rude or not. I reckon that in places he is (particularly when he stops paying attention to the first interviewer for instance, but I've seen loads of footballers do that when clearly called by a teammate in the background) but also he's generally a man of few words and wants to play football without answering what he sees as quite inane questions. What secret's he supposed to have, magic beans?

Or, he could just be a robot. Which is probable.

You don't have to be rude to be a man of few words.

Those reporters are doing their job. it's part of a footballer's obligation to give interviews. You could at least give them the courtesy of answering questions rather than be a word removed about it.

People are saying "oh he just wants to play football". He is playing football. for one of the biggest clubs in the world being paid millions. The least he can do is nod and smile at a reporter for the TV company that probably pays half his wages for 2 minutes after a game

• Like 1

I get what you're saying, and on balance you're right. I do think it's one where if he plays for your club you're more accepting of it and many would even find it funny.

The cynic in me also thinks it might be part of a sort of branding exercise. It's clearly getting him (even more) exposure and I can see him being marketed as a new Zlatan type figure in the coming months/years.

Goes back to the same old, people paid a lot of money to watch football but don't actually watch football

Unfortunately Dave from Mansfield watching for the first time because its the only football on TV in their target audience

Not a clue why they've never tried a podcaster or YouTube football personality or even a journalist (not a clue if honigstein is any good, he's the only real German journo I can think of) the ex pro boring as **** as intelligent as the thickest viewer punditry has lasted far longer than it should have 

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Unfortunately Dave from Mansfield watching for the first time because its the only football on TV in their target audience.

I agree and that's why the likes of Souness and Savage still get booked.

But look at the praise the likes of Gary Neville gets when he puts a bit of effort in. Sometimes producers need to realise people will enjoy decent programming if you give it to them.

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not a clue why they've never tried a podcaster or YouTube football personality or even a journalist (not a clue if honigstein is any good, he's the only real German journo I can think of) the ex pro boring as **** as intelligent as the thickest viewer punditry has lasted far longer than it should have 

Because people are idiots and if they've never heard of someone they don't care about them.

Far more people want to hear Mark Lawrenson's inane shite than Michael Cox, despite the latter being far far more interesting ad insightful.

IIRC BT Sport used to have a football show with the likes of Honigstein and Richardson and Phillipe Auclaire etc but it got axed.

I know they are going for casual fan so bland Rio Ferdinand or Michael Owen is understandable but Savage,Murphy, Jenas were never household names. At least Martin Keown had a few league titles

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I know they are going for casual fan so bland Rio Ferdinand or Michael Owen is understandable but Savage,Murphy, Jenas were never household names. At least Martin Keown had a few league titles

Add Kevin Kilbane to the list.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2020 at 16:50, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I couldn't watch the entirety of that video, he does seem very unlikeable. 

Thing is media interviews are part of the game, people, want to know about your character, drive and philosophy. What's the point if he is going to be so aloof?

arrogant

On 28/05/2020 at 16:27, Zatman said:

I don't care if they were household names or not.

If they could between all of them manage to make one intelligent or insightful comment then that would justify why they invade my television most weeks.

But to be that banal for that long is quite remarkable.

Never was so little said by so many.

Â