Media and punditry

BOF

4 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Stuart Pearce gets paid for expert analysis like these gems from he's commentary tonight for talkshite 

"Derby need to score to get back into the game

"On balance derby have been the better side but United have just shaded it"

"Ighalo isn't that sort of natural finisher, but give him half a chance and hes a player that scores"

And the amount of times he says "In and around"

yeah Stuart Pearce as a manager didnt put on a striker but chose his goalkeeper to go up front instead. 

All you need to know about his managerial ability

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yeah Stuart Pearce as a manager didnt put on a striker but chose his goalkeeper to go up front instead. 

All you need to know about his managerial ability

The stupid quotes aside what pissed me off was the constant use of in and around

United putting the ball in and around the box, Rooney passing the ball in and around the midfield, derby defending in and around the 6 yard box

I am not saying he isnt going to be that good but apparently according to one journalist Billy Gilmour is the best midfielder since Xavi, Pirlo and Modric. FFS talking about overhyping some poor kid.

also Martin Keown thinks Foden has already cemented his starting spot in the England 2020 squad

12 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think Foden's performance today showed exactly why he probably shouldn't be in the squad.

One good game every couple of months isn't enough.

He was far better when he was played centrally, but yeah it showed that he isn't ready yet. 

And I'd got him into my FPL team as a massive punt so I basically spent the entire game watching him, so I like to think I paid attention :D 

On 09/03/2020 at 11:03, Stevo985 said:

He was far better when he was played centrally, but yeah it showed that he isn't ready yet. 

And I'd got him into my FPL team as a massive punt so I basically spent the entire game watching him, so I like to think I paid attention :D 

Foden? In the final? I thought he was brilliant, hands down the best player on the pitch

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Foden? In the final? I thought he was brilliant, hands down the best player on the pitch

No, not in the final. Look at the date of the post.

The game vs Man Utd where he did absolutely nothing for 90 minutes.

He's a great prospect. But he's not ready to be starting for Man City yet.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No, not in the final. Look at the date of the post.

The game vs Man Utd where he did absolutely nothing for 90 minutes.

He's a great prospect. But he's not ready to be starting for Man City yet.

I agree

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Steve Nicol and Frank Lebouef think Van Dijk is a better defender than Vidic was 😂

Vidic who Gabby roasted every time we played?

Yeah, I'll take Van Dijk over him. 

Anyone listening to Peter Crouch podcasts? The referees episode caught my attention.

The Mike Dean episode showed exactly what is wrong with today's refereeing. He says that, compared to younger and fitter referees, he doesn't have to run as much as is able to make a call from 30 yards because of his experience. To paraphrase him, he "believes in his own ability".

Excuse me? 

I would rather have a fit referee see a tackle from 5 yards than Mike Dean make a call from 30 yards. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Anyone listening to Peter Crouch podcasts? The referees episode caught my attention.

The Mike Dean episode showed exactly what is wrong with today's refereeing. He says that, compared to younger and fitter referees, he doesn't have to run as much as is able to make a call from 30 yards because of his experience. To paraphrase him, he "believes in his own ability".

Excuse me? 

I would rather have a fit referee see a tackle from 5 yards than Mike Dean make a call from 30 yards. 

I've only heard about two, I'll probably end up getting through them during this isolation. 

Crouch is brilliant but I cannot stand those two blokes with him. Giddy sycophants, found it excruciating.

Felt like they ripped off magic sponge from a few years ago as well. That featured two comedians I don't like and Jimmy Bullard who I don't like and was a really good listen.

48 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

Because he is?

now maybe but Vidic is retired 5 seasons ;)

Van Dijk has had a good 18 months and it played for City that would be that no OTT media hype, he has hit a good bit of form in his late 20s but even that has been shown up at times

On 19/03/2020 at 20:26, Zatman said:

now maybe but Vidic is retired 5 seasons ;)

Van Dijk has had a good 18 months and it played for City that would be that no OTT media hype, he has hit a good bit of form in his late 20s but even that has been shown up at times

Short memories and Liverpool being so good help his cause. He's made quite a few mistakes this season, they just don't matter because they've gone on to win.

If Van Dijk got back to his best, and continued that for a good 5 years or so, then maybe you could start putting him in a conversation with some of the best PL defenders - like Vidic. At this point it's just modern day thinking. A good season and you're a God.

Vidic had a couple of flaws that I don't think VVD has, running at him turned him to shit, torres always had fun vs him and so did gabby

You can't have a sensible conversation about it though, VVD has to have some sort of tag be it Goat or best defender of the decade, it can't just be that he's the best right now

FWIW I think Terry in his 30s was better and when the scousers start chucking out best in the world in the last decade nonsense you can hear the laughs coming from Madrid 

• 3 weeks later...

Think I have mentioned Under The Cosh on here before, hosted by 2 ex players and a host. Every week they get on ex pros to tell stories about there career. Its quite interesting though get the odd clearing in the woods on it. Clarke Carlisle is the best inteview of all but found they did an interview with the real man Grant Holt. Seems a clever guy and speaks well (havent got to his Villa days yet) 

Real man was always a funny one. Knew what he meant but can you not say a bit more to get fans into it.

Lambert must have the biggest difference between his media personality and private one.

Â