Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think playing next to Jedinak will relieve the pressure and he'll improve as a whole. Add a good RB who is good positionally so the midfield aren't constantly having to cover him and let the defence gel a bit more and I think we'll have a much more effective midfield.

• Like 3

I think he's being scapegoated for our lack of depth. 

Against SW he was admittedly poor. 

Against rotherham, very good. 

Against huddersfield, very good for 60 mins but he tired (lack of depth)

Against derby, very good for 60 mins but tired again and we had zero CMs on the bench. 

We desperately need some help in the middle. 

• Like 2

Can only see him featuring in away games, in competition with Tshibola and Gardner.

I think RDM will opt for Gestede, Hernandez (!) up front with McC sitting just behind, and Jedinak, Ayew and Grealish in a middle 3 when at home or away at weaker sides, with Amavi and Yedlin offering the width.

i think whilst away, One f the forwards will be dropped in favour of another DM 

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Can only see him featuring in away games, in competition with Tshibola and Gardner.

I think RDM will opt for Gestede, Hernandez (!) up front with McC sitting just behind, and Jedinak, Ayew and Grealish in a middle 3 when at home or away at weaker sides, with Amavi and Yedlin offering the width.

That's a very brave formation.  If we'd have played that against Huddersfield last week, we could quite easily have lost the game, as they controlled the midfield for 45 minutes.

I think that formation would be a "throw of the dice" when we are chasing a game.  I don't think we'd get the best out of McCormack there either.

Onto Westwood, Tishibola & Jedinak are the boys, so Westwood gives us strength in depth-an adequate replacement if either of the other two are suspended, injured.  A good standard of player to have sitting on our bench.

Personally I think he's been fine this season. You know what you get with Westwood and he gives his all each game. I still feel we could get a better player in his position though, perhaps Tshibola and Jedinak are the ones who will play now but I think Westwood is a great addition to the squad at the very least. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, thunderball said:

I can't see us going with a formation like that. We've struggled in midfield a bit as it is, so replacing one of those 2 CMs with a forward would likely make things worse.

On 8/18/2016 at 02:42, Troglodyte said:

How odd that people are choosing now to criticise Westwood. First of all, I think he's had a really positive start to the season. I went to the Rotherham game and he was excellent. Was happy for him to go this summer but he's definitely got enough ability to be an important player at this level, and a season or two in the Championship should do him good - none of our players were making any progress over the last few years and Westwood's done well to come out of it and pick things up, unlike several other players.

Even if you still don't rate him all that much, though, the fact is we need a squad and shouldn't be getting rid of him for that reason at least. With that in mind, I have no idea why people are having a pop now.

Its not a case of having a pop now or any other time, its a case of looking objectively of improving the team, you have your view I have mine.

I actually think in terms of attitude he is one of our better players.....In terms of effect on a game I think he is light.

and incidently you pick a game when we have won 3-0....its quite possible the weakness I see in him is more likely to show up more when we are losing....and up to now that has been quite a lot.

Without the ball is more my issue than with it.

• Like 2

Im far from being his biggest fan.. but i hope he stays. He will be decent back up in the Championship. We already need another CM so if we lose him two.. i cant see us signing another two. 

• Like 1

Westwood like others are now 'poisoned' with fans and if he completely bossed a game, scored, created a couple but gave the ball away once it would be the latter that would be picked up. 

He looked decent with Tshibola along side him at Sheff Weds, then again at VP v Rotherham and Huddersfield. Then it was back to GG who leaves him too much to do.

This season is really make or break for him at Villa, if he stays he has proper experience competition and a young kid proven at this level.  

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

Westwood like others are now 'poisoned' with fans and if he completely bossed a game, scored, created a couple but gave the ball away once it would be the latter that would be picked up. 

This is all that has been happening for about 2 seasons now.

3 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Yes, Westwood has been bossing, scoring and creating goals for the past two season :lol:

OP doesn't say he has been :lol:

Don't let that get in the way of another unnecessary bashing, though :lol:

Edited by bobzy

5 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Well what was your point then? Westwood hasn't been doing any of that so your post was irrelevant.

That anything "good" that Westwood does during a game doesn't get mentioned whereas anything "bad" he does gets jumped upon readily.  That's the point LancsVillan is making - and it's been going on for **** ages.

See; pretty much every page of this thread.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That anything "good" that Westwood does during a game doesn't get mentioned whereas anything "bad" he does gets jumped upon readily.  That's the point LancsVillan is making - and it's been going on for **** ages.

See; pretty much every page of this thread.

Ok but anything good he does do is extremely few and far between, hence why people have a problem with him. He is below average and offers nothing and the defense of him on here completely baffles me. 

• Like 2

Just now, Phumfeinz said:

Ok but anything good he does do is extremely few and far between, hence why people have a problem with him. He is below average and offers nothing and the defense of him on here completely baffles me. 

We disagree - as shown in this thread, and pointless going over old ground (although the "does nothing" part is particularly hilarious).  However, I don't understand why he gets so much stick.

You almost couldn't post quickly enough to sarcastically say Westwood has been "bossing, scoring and creating goals for the past two seasons".  Does Grealish get the same treatment, for doing far less?  My guess would be "no".

• Like 1