Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I think people just go to extremes with him and i've probably been guilty of that at times.  The really negative comments bring out the really positive comments and vice versa. He finished the season well, has shown he can play well at this level and currently deserves his spot in the team.  I think it's still up in the air if he's capable of being a regular in our current revolution but i'm happy to see and give him the chance.

Echos my feelings on the situation. Judging from this thread you'd be forgiven to assume that he is simultaneously one of the most over and under rated players in the team.

I think people just go to extremes with him and i've probably been guilty of that at times. The really negative comments bring out the really positive comments and vice versa. He finished the season well, has shown he can play well at this level and currently deserves his spot in the team. I think it's still up in the air if he's capable of being a regular in our current revolution but i'm happy to see and give him the chance.

I'd say that's pretty accurate.

Most of my ramblings are in response to what I feel is OTT praise.

Would you defend him if he received OTT criticism?

I think people just go to extremes with him and i've probably been guilty of that at times. The really negative comments bring out the really positive comments and vice versa. He finished the season well, has shown he can play well at this level and currently deserves his spot in the team. I think it's still up in the air if he's capable of being a regular in our current revolution but i'm happy to see and give him the chance.

Would you defend him if he received OTT criticism?

If I thought it was OTT, yeah

I've took the piss out of you a couple of times, but to be fair it is correct. The Westwood thread is probably one of my least favourite, because of the bickering between those for and against what Westwood offers. It is like a stuck record from both points of view. In reality it's people arguing with each other rather than about the original point.

I see Westwood as a positive in the team let alone the squad and can also see others views, it doesn't mean I feel I need to keep repetitively putting across my point of view.

Tim Sherwood spoke of his big admiration for Ashley Westwood as he handed the midfielder a new five-year deal today.

Westwood put pen to paper on the long-term contract earlier this afternoon.

And Sherwood immediately discussed the importance of the 25-year-old to his flourishing young team.

He sees Westwood as the "orchestrator", who can dictate play in the middle ground.

And importantly the boss believes there's much more to come from the former Crewe captain.

He told AVTV: "I think Ashley is a very intelligent footballer.

"He understands what I want from the group and he takes that out on to the pitch.

"He tries to be the orchestrator out there.

"I want him to get on the ball more than anyone and make us play - know when to speed it up and know when to slow it down.

"He is similar to Michael Carrick from Man Utd.

"I want him to grow in personality and confidence out on that pitch.

"Hopefully he can improve this season."

Watch the VIDEO PIECE with Sherwood talking about Westwood below.

sauce

Key sentence...'hopefully he can improve this season'. Everybody knows he is a tidy intelligent player that tries to play football. The only problem is he doesn't do it well enough. So yes hopefully he improves.

Nah he's talking out of his arse. He's shit

This is just looking for an argument. Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Key sentence...'hopefully he can improve this season'. Everybody knows he is a tidy intelligent player that tries to play football. The only problem is he doesn't do it well anything. So yes hopefully he improves.

Nah he's talking out of his arse. He's shit

This is just looking for an argument.

whoosh_by_medli20-d520mia.gif

Don't think Sherwood was convinced when he first took over, early team selections were indication for this but Ash quickly won him over which is what you want from exiled players.

The liverpool semi final was his best game for the club by a long way, hopefully we can get a few more of them this season.

Absolutely love Westwood. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_22_5D-CtbE

Not your typical you tube compilation (thanks to the author btw, I think they post on VT). He passes the ball beautifully, not always spectacular but he pings it almost exactly where the receiving player wants it. 

Oh an THAT goal against Albion. 

• Like 1

Ok steveo so perhaps I was eager to use the word 'know'. My mistake.

However, I still feel the other question remains unanswered.

Il try and word it a little different because I'm probably not being clear.

People have been positive about Westy going into the last 3 seasons.

People have thought or to some extent known that he has been surrounded by dross going into those seasons.

People acknowledge that he needs good players around him to reach the level people are confident he can reach.

Now I'm certainly not suggesting that people fall into all 3 statements and I'm certainly not trawling through the thread to prove so or not. However, it is possible that there are people who fall under all 3 statements - at which - I'd say they contradict themselves.

What?

Each of those 'categories' compliment eachother. Yes we've been positive about him but as per cat2 he's been surrounded by shit and/or playing for a dour manager and most players need good players around them to excel, particularly at a level such as the premier league

Just the best at what he does. First name on the team sheet for me.

That's just it. What does he actually do?

Again? Seriously?

Edit - I'm not his biggest fan, I think he's good at what he does but very little else. But come on! The manager outlines what his role is, it's fine if you think he's not very good at it but do we need to go around in circles like this?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.