Ashley Westwood

Nabby

The issue with Sanchez is that he makes big mistakes, whereas Westwood rarely makes any.

I agree with this but I would like to see Westwood get more involved.

Sanchez could be a very good player if he stopped the stupid mistakes and lunges. He doesn't seem to do it for Columbia which makes me think he will

be better for us this season.

I think Sanchez is a must against Man Utd. Schneiderlin would bully Westwood.

serious? If one guy plays deep playmaker. And the other plays defensive midfielder. They dont usually mark/come into contact each other that much. Nowhere enough to class it as bully. It will be depay/rooney who will be closing down westwood (usually)

Indeed. And off topic, I don't see Schneiderlin bullying Gana. That will be a great little match up I think.

I'm sure the ref will see to it that all Gana's good tackles are fouls and he gets a yellow in the first 15.

The issue with Sanchez is that he makes big mistakes, whereas Westwood rarely makes any.

Sanchez could be a very good player if he stopped the stupid mistakes and lunges. He doesn't seem to do it for Columbia which makes me think he will

Westwood needs to get more involved? Do you actually watch us play or just watch highlights?

Westwood needs to get more involved? Do you actually watch us play or just watch highlights?

He hardly touches the ball on MOTD.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Ive watched Westwood since he was about 13, my cousin played with him at Crewe for a few years before he threw it all away the prat. We still see him now and again. 

For me i think people dont rate Westwood because he plays the game in the simple form just like Gareth Barry did, the difference being he is not as active as Barry was in his prime. I think he is a good player and i hope he progresses from now as he could be a great player for us,  pleased Tim has signed him up for another 5 years. 

• Like 2

serious? If one guy plays deep playmaker. And the other plays defensive midfielder. They dont usually mark/come into contact with each other that much. Nowhere enough to class it as bully. It will be depay/rooney who will be closing down westwood (usually)

I wouldn't be surprised to see LVG send him further forward to play a more physical game against Westwood. 

Barry really didn't become an England regular until he was 26-27.

Now I'm not saying that Westwood will become an England regular or reach the heights that Barry did but I think they are similar players. I'm confident he'll just get better and better in a better team like we are becoming now.

• Like 1

Now I'm not saying that Westwood will become an England regular or reach the heights that Barry did but I think they are similar players. I'm confident he'll just get better and better in a better team like we are becoming now.

I think he just needs to be a little more proactive in other areas of the pitch. Barry would pop up in all kinds of positions to create something. Westwood has defo got it in him and im sure we will see that in the coming years !

I think he just needs to be a little more proactive in other areas of the pitch. Barry would pop up in all kinds of positions to create something. Westwood has defo got it in him and im sure we will see that in the coming years !

Absolutely agree with that. If he manages to be more adventurous in his passing and movement (we've seen glimpses of it) then he'll be even more of an asset.

• Like 1

He also needs to toughen up a bit too - Petrov and Barry were more solid than him and were much harder to dispossess. Maybe Gana can give him a few pointers to help that part of his game.

Yep totally agree with this too, a little lightweight at the minute

serious? If one guy plays deep playmaker. And the other plays defensive midfielder. They dont usually mark/come into contact with each other that much. Nowhere enough to class it as bully. It will be depay/rooney who will be closing down westwood (usually)

I wouldn't be surprised to see LVG send him further forward to play a more physical game against Westwood. 

Im not saying he wont because LVG likes to just do WTF stuff for the sake of it....but...

So you think, rooney/depay and Schniederlin are all going to be closing down westwood? It makes absolute no sense to drop depay back to deep midfield and push Schniederlin up to just "rough him up" when defending. It makes transitioning from defence to attack (and attack to defence) just horrible.

What schniederlin can do, depay can do just as good for the role of westwood. You dont need to rough up DLP to nullify them, you just need to man mark/get close so they cant receive the ball (or mark lines where all they can do is play it back to defenders). He isnt going to be trying to take it round 1 or 2 players so Schniederlin more elite tackling (or "roughing up") is entirely pointless. When westwood just recieves the ball and Schniederlin comes to "rough him up", hes just going to pass the ball back to defenders. You cant play high-risk strategy with the ball in that position, only a very few players have the skillset to do so (wilshire/delph). Schniederlin just becomes so so sub-optimal when trying to play in the role you think LVG is going to make him do

if Gabby/wiemann can nulify Gerrard for so much of the game, then so can depay with westwood.

ill be very very very very very very very surprised if Schniederlin is played CAM. like to the point where i know its just not going to happen. Hes not going to push him forward when in defence as you have far too many players trying to nulify one player whilst leaving space/couple of players free. Not sure if you noticed with LVG but he has an incredibly disciplined approach to football.

Never know though....It could happen

fwiw: i dont think ive ever seen a defensive midfielder being used to mark the opposition DLP, like ever. Its always one of the attackers for reasons explained above

Edited by gharperr

Westwood doesn't just sit in front of the back 4 and rarely venture out of our half though - nor does Schneiderlin simply sit back the whole time either. They'll cross paths a lot more than that and in a 50-50 situation, you're going to favour Schneiderlin every time. Even if Westwood just turns around and plays it back, Schneiderlin has done his job because he's forced Ash's hand. 

Westwood really does just sit in front in the back 4. Hes DLP and is used to recycle possession. Very rarely will you see westwood in the final 3rd or opposition box. Sometimes you see him having shot outside area but that is still "sitting in front of the back 4" because the opposition is so deep sometimes.

"Even if Westwood just turns around and plays it back, Schneiderlin has done his job because he's forced Ash's hand. " So what exactly depay can/will do without sacrificing two optimal positions to make them sub-optimal? You do not rough up a DLP or do you need an elite tackler to do so because they just pass it back to defenders. (so depay can do exactly what Schneiderlin can do with the role of westwood).    But i said all this in previous post

yes there may be a couple of times where he may get a bit forward, still not enough to start playing players sub-optimally. Also swapping him for sanchez will just mean sanchez will 100% going to sit infront of the back 4 where 
Schneiderlin wont be that much (unless its in attack). so it still makes no sense for that swap for the reasons youre saying

Edited by gharperr

He's a continuity player like Michael Carrick, who strangely went under the radar while being a first team player in one of the best teams in recent memory. I don't think Westwood is irreplaceable though, as unlike Carrick (or Barry) he doesn't do enough with the ball when he has it, but we aren't Manure, nor are we challenging for Europe, so he'll do.