Ashley Westwood

Nabby

It isn't his job to stand out.

He's the type of player that if you don't hear his name, it means he's doing his job effectively.

I cannot agree with this. This is exactly what forms my opinion of him, that he is largely ineffective.

He's incredibly effective at recycling the ball and getting us back on the attack. If somebody does this well, you never hear from them.

I'm just glad the people in charge at the club seem to agree with me and most others rather than you :)

I'll try and explain why people are being positive for Westie this season.

When you have a player who has an eye for a pass and is tasked with instigating attacks and generally spreading the play, and you then surround that player with immobile totem poles, he's going to have a bad time no matter how good he is.

If you take that same player and surround him with mobile attack-minded run-aroundy type players, then WITHOUT CHANGING A SINGLE BIT OF THAT PLAYER, you've immediately got yourself a more effective player.

That's it.  That's why people think we'll see much more of his quality this season.  He's in a side more catered to his abilities.  Add in the fact that his position benefits from experience and he is one year older and you've got a general mood of positivity, I'm sorry to say.

Well, I hope you are right. This argument has been used a lot, and the coming season will either explode the theory or prove it.

If he does become a noticeably better player, I will be happy to applaud it.

He's the type of player that if you don't hear his name, it means he's doing his job effectively.

I cannot agree with this. This is exactly what forms my opinion of him, that he is largely ineffective.

He really isn't, he is just ineffective in the job some people seem to think he should do rather than the one he does.

When you have a player who has an eye for a pass and is tasked with instigating attacks and generally spreading the play, and you then surround that player with immobile totem poles, he's going to have a bad time no matter how good he is.

If you take that same player and surround him with mobile attack-minded run-aroundy type players, then WITHOUT CHANGING A SINGLE BIT OF THAT PLAYER, you've immediately got yourself a more effective player.

That's it. That's why people think we'll see much more of his quality this season. He's in a side more catered to his abilities. Add in the fact that his position benefits from experience and he is one year older and you've got a general mood of positivity, I'm sorry to say.

No I get that BOF and they are fair enough points but they don't really answer why this is the 3rd/4th year people are so positive, knowing he was surrounded by dross in previous years.

Also, having been surrounded by dross, what is it that makes people so certain he is going to be any good surrounded by decent players. If we've never seen him surrounded by decent players how do we know? Sure he may have shown the odd sign of brilliance but so did Weimann, gabby, nzog even.

Did you read BOF's post before you replied to it? He's explained everything you've asked him to explain already

If he tackled like Clark everyone would get it. The idea of DM who isn't renowned for his tackling is hard to get for some. Positionally he's excellent. He reads and sees the game well. His passing is great.

I'll admit I get a bit annoyed by the floaty corners but it seemed to work the other day. It seems he is as devisive as Carrick and Joe Allen though when it comes to supporters.

• Like 1

He really isn't, he is just ineffective in the job some people seem to think he should do rather than the one he does.

Exactly.

Just as an extra, for somebody with 'literally no opinion', you post a hell of a lot in here WT.

Again, please point me in the direction of my posts regarding his contract - you know the thing that I said I wasn't particularly bothered about.

He's matured into a proper premier league central midfielder, I'd say that he's good enough to be the squad of any of the teams who finished 7th onwards last season, perhaps not a starter for all of them but at least being good enough to contribute his fair share of games.

What can you say, he cost what? £900k? Excellent value for money.

James Nursey and Woodytom do not like this

Corrected

He's matured into a proper premier league central midfielder, I'd say that he's good enough to be the squad of any of the teams who finished 7th onwards last season, perhaps not a starter for all of them but at least being good enough to contribute his fair share of games.

What can you say, he cost what? £900k? Excellent value for money.

James Nursey and Woodytom do not like this
Corrected

Given my post regarding what I think of the contract - this isn't very accurate.

He's incredibly effective at recycling the ball and getting us back on the attack. If somebody does this well, you never hear from them.

I'm just glad the people in charge at the club seem to agree with me and most others rather than you :)

Assuming you are responding to me, I would agree that those at the club certainly know more than me, and if as you say most other posters agree with you, you may well be right. I will be very happy if you are, what is best for the club is good for me, but until then I remain to be convinced.

• Like 1

Wow this is turning into a daily event. I think Sherwood said it best when he said that Westwood gets the ball into the forwards so quickly that the commentator doesn't have time to say his name so his good work often goes unnoticed.

Wow this is turning into a daily event. I think Sherwood said it best when he said that Westwood gets the ball into the forwards so quickly that the commentator doesn't have time to say his name so his good work often goes unnoticed.

There you go WT. Said it so I didn't have to.

From the horse's mouth so to speak.

Obviously this doesn't always work (as he might get called out for doing something fantastic or dreadful) but the gist of the point is there.

That's it. That's why people think we'll see much more of his quality this season. He's in a side more catered to his abilities. Add in the fact that his position benefits from experience and he is one year older and you've got a general mood of positivity, I'm sorry to say.

No I get that BOF and they are fair enough points but they don't really answer why this is the 3rd/4th year people are so positive, knowing he was surrounded by dross in previous years.

Also, having been surrounded by dross, what is it that makes people so certain he is going to be any good surrounded by decent players. If we've never seen him surrounded by decent players how do we know? Sure he may have shown the odd sign of brilliance but so did Weimann, gabby, nzog even.

Did you read BOF's post before you replied to it? He's explained everything you've asked him to explain already

Yeah I did.

Has he explained why people were so positive about Westy in previous seasons?

Has he explained how people know he's going to be good surrounded by decent players?

Not that I can see. He doesn't have to of course. But I really don't see how you can't decipher between the questions I'm asking and the questions BOF has answered.

Perhaps you haven't read my post?

There you go WT. Said it so I didn't have to.

From the horse's mouth so to speak.

Obviously this doesn't always work (as he might get called out for doing something fantastic or dreadful) but the gist of the point is there.

So everything Tim sherwood says is true?

I've watched villa for over 2 decades and I can safely say the commentator never has an issue in keeping up with our play?

How the **** must they cope with barca or arsenal?

Hang on a minute, Tim sherwood's stood on the touchline where there is no commentary. As I thought - that logic is total bullshit.