Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Just the best at what he does. First name on the team sheet for me.

That's just it. What does he actually do?
Again? Seriously?

Edit - I'm not his biggest fan, I think he's good at what he does but very little else. But come on! The manager outlines what his role is, it's fine if you think he's not very good at it but do we need to go around in circles like this?

That's a bit harsh. I try to read the debate around Westwood but it just gets bombarded with people arguing and point scoring based on whether they rate him or not. So I tend to skip through a lot of it.

I've said many times I like him and I agree it made sense to give him a new contract. But I'm willing to place a bet with anyone that he will no longer be at the club in 2 seasons time.

How much are you going to be paying me?
Loser gives £10 to VT?
you might as well do it now.

Careful. There is a scenario where he moves up in the world meaning he's not here but you were still right in what you were trying to say ;)

• Like 2

He sometimes does something so technically lovely that it suprises me he cost a million quid and is English. He's a rare breed nowadays, sure he's not going to take many games by the scruff of the neck but I thought he was excellent in the semi final against Liverpool, the biggest match of his career up until that point. I reckon he loves playing for the club, will do anything to get the best out of his ability, and is hardly going to be expensive. We need to keep players like him while the young Europeans thrive and take us up the league, before getting sold on to get the next lot in, taking us further up.

• Like 1

He is a decent player but really needs to kick on this season, part of the problem may be that he is a vision type player, and our front players have been so static that options for attacking play have been limited at best, as evidenced by the lack of goals, confidence plays a huge part and I think the squad overhaul and how he copes with his role within the squad we have now will see him either rise to the challenge or prove many on here right that he is not good enough, hoping for the former!

I think it's more to do with his execution. He sees a pass but more often than not doesn't get it right. If his passing can match his vision and awareness I will admit he could be a top player.
Such BS
Why do Westwood fans get so defensive? I actually gave him two complements there. Having such a football brain is rare in the game.

Why does my opinion have to be BS?

Why am I not allowed to not rate him as high as others do?

As for being one our best passers. Is that because he is so good or the rest are so bad?

You stated that more often than not he sees a pass but doesn't execute it, that's just total bull but whatever...that's twice today you have made statements that are totally incorrect about Westwood. Either you're trolling or you're watching a different player than me. Edited by Bunnski

He is a decent player but really needs to kick on this season, part of the problem may be that he is a vision type player, and our front players have been so static that options for attacking play have been limited at best, as evidenced by the lack of goals, confidence plays a huge part and I think the squad overhaul and how he copes with his role within the squad we have now will see him either rise to the challenge or prove many on here right that he is not good enough, hoping for the former!

I think it's more to do with his execution. He sees a pass but more often than not doesn't get it right. If his passing can match his vision and awareness I will admit he could be a top player.
Such BS
Why do Westwood fans get so defensive? I actually gave him two complements there. Having such a football brain is rare in the game.

As for being one our best passers. Is that because he is so good or the rest are so bad?

You stated that more often than not he sees a pass but doesn't execute it, that's just total bull but whatever...that's twice today you have made statements that are totally incorrect about Westwood. Either you're trolling or you're watching a different player than me.

Sorry I should have been more specific. I actually meant defence splitting pace. The ones that lead to goals etc.

His close range and cross field passing is spot on. But when it really counts I've never seen anything special that often. Yeh maybe I am watching a different player.

What was the other one?

I know stats don't tell the whole story but 10 assists in 93 games for someone that also takes a lot of corners and free kicks does not seem to indicate he is one the best passers in the team.

Better than anyone else in the team as far as I'm aware.

Also, being a good passer doesn't necessarily mean you get assists.

Edited by Stevo985

I know stats don't tell the whole story but 10 assists in 93 games for someone that also takes a lot of corners and free kicks does not seem to indicate he is one the best passers in the team.

That's true.

Let me just point out I'm not trying to bash the guy. As I've said countless times I like him and think he is a really tidy player. Im just trying to point where I think there is a of improvement needed.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Such BS

You stated that more often than not he sees a pass but doesn't execute it, that's just total bull but whatever...that's twice today you have made statements that are totally incorrect about Westwood. Either you're trolling or you're watching a different player than me.
Sorry I should have been more specific. I actually meant defence splitting pace. The ones that lead to goals etc.

His close range and cross field passing is spot on. But when it really counts I've never seen anything special that often. Yeh maybe I am watching a different player.

What was the other one?

You stated that he doesn't get involved enough despite him often being the player with the most completed passes. Sure see how he gets on during this season and then we can properly judge him.

That's true.

Let me just point out I'm not trying to bash the guy. As I've said countless times I like him and think he is a really tidy player. Im just trying to point where I think there is a of improvement needed.

To be honest I actually think the complete opposite of what you said. I think he is a very good passer and extremely consistent in executing his passes.

I think his problem is he's not adventurous enough and should make killer passes more often.

More hope that if he plays with better players he'll get more opportunities to do so.

Such BS

What was the other one?

You stated that he doesn't get involved enough despite him often being the player with the most completed passes. Sure see how he gets on during this season and then we can properly judge him.

That's just it. His involvement consists of short sideways and backwards passes in the middle of the park. There's no really substance to it, it's almost passing for sake of passing.

Maybe this is more to do with the players with him and lack of movement to create space for him. Or maybe he just lacks confidence.

I don't know. But either he is capable of a lot more or he is probably not good enough. I hope he proves me wrong.

Such BS

What was the other one?

That's just it. His involvement consists of short sideways and backwards passes in the middle of the park. There's no really substance to it, it's almost passing for sake of passing.

Maybe this is more to do with the players with him and lack of movement to create space for him. Or maybe he just lacks confidence.

I don't know. But either he is capable of a lot more or he is probably not good enough. I hope he proves me wrong.

In his second season he had 65 key passes, which was right up there. a lot of his passing consists of keeping it simple due to the position he plays but often he is the one playing the ball quickly into our attackers which sets up a lot of dangerous attacks. He has also shown many times that he can play Hollywood passes aka Bazza Bannan passes.

Such BS

What was the other one?

In his second season he had 65 key passes, which was right up there. a lot of his passing consists of keeping it simple due to the position he plays but often he is the one playing the ball quickly into our attackers which sets up a lot of dangerous attacks. He has also shown many times that he can play Hollywood passes aka Bazza Bannan passes.

Fair enough mate. Now isn't that so much better than just responding with 'such BS' :)

i think it is fair to say that however good he is technically, there have been too many games which pass him by, where he hasnt been able to make much of an impact. he can be a bit too vanilla, a bit too safe.

i think the whole 'if you dont notice him he is doing his job, his role is not to be flashy but keep us ticking over etc' is a bit of a cop out - if a player is playing well and making an impact you notice him, whatever his role. If you don't notice them its often because the game is bypassing them.

I also think you need more from a midfielder than just retaining possession and taking the safe option with passes. For Westwood to develop it is important he starts being more adventurous on a regular basis, both with passing and with shots. His technique on the ball is very very good but he does have a lot of weaker points - not that quick or strong, can't really beat a player, too often lets midfield runners past (usually with him pointing to them and then neglecting to track them), which has directly led to goals.

Hopefully with better players around him in midfield and also upfront to aim for he go up another level this season.

Such BS

What was the other one?

Fair enough mate. Now isn't that so much better than just responding with 'such BS' :)
Well no offence but you were way off imo with your opinion so maybe watch a bit closer in future. ;)

I don't see how that is the same thing.

I didn't say it was the same thing. I'm

Just point out there are people that use him being in a crap team to defend him while there are others that use the same logic to attack him.

It's not the same logic at all though. They are exactly the opposite logic.

On one hand people defend him in a crap team because he still managed to be good in one (that's people concentrating on what the player managed to do rather than his teammates).

Whereas other people are attacking the individual for being in a crap team without looking at the individual (people concentrating on the sum total instead of the player's individual contribution).

One approach has merit. The other does not, otherwise by that simple logic, Benteke and Delph must have been shite too being in a shite team.

• Like 1

Such BS

What was the other one?

Well no offence but you were way off imo with your opinion so maybe watch a bit closer in future. ;)

I stand by my comments. After seeing better players in our team this season you will realise the shit around Westwood actually made him look better than he was.

Just point out there are people that use him being in a crap team to defend him while there are others that use the same logic to attack him.

On one hand people defend him in a crap team because he still managed to be good in one (that's people concentrating on what the player managed to do rather than his teammates).

Whereas other people are attacking the individual for being in a crap team without looking at the individual (people concentrating on the sum total instead of the player's individual contribution).

One approach has merit. The other does not, otherwise by that simple logic, Benteke and Delph must have been shite too being in a shite team.

I guess so. But you can't really then use the he will be even better with better players around him argument as this is yet to even be seen. I've heard that one a fair bit.

Saying he is crap because he is in a crap

team makes no sense at all. If they said he looked better than he was because of the shit around him I would say this could be a possibility.

So defence : good player in a crap team, will look even better with good players around him.

Attack : ok player in a crap team made to look better than he is.

So all about perspective right?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I guess so. But you can't really then use the he will be even better with better players around him argument as this is yet to even be seen. I've heard that one a fair bit.

Saying he is crap because he is in a crap

team makes no sense at all. If they said he looked better than he was because of the shit around him I would say this could be a possibility.

But again what I've mostly read and written is that the thinking is he'll be better because his new teammates seem to suit his style. His passing game should lend itself to more movement in front of him. That's all. It's just an attempt at analysis.