Joe Bennett

Si.

Baker is very overrated on here. He looks like an honest, hardworking, but poor player to me. Very good in the air, but not much good at anything else. Bennett gives you much more of an attacking threat, and I've seen him put in some good defensive performances too (obviously not today, however). The other alternatives - Lichaj, Stephens - don't give the impression of being much better either, as Ginko says.

Players with Bennett's physique peak at an older age. I can see him being very good for us next season, with a summer of strength work and a chance to reflect on this season's mistakes.

Re: Chelsea, they aren't as physical or aerial as they used to be, particularly out wide. Would Baker really be the right shout? I'd be more worried about the number of players they have who like to linger between the defensive and midfield lines. We don't have a deep midfield destroyer to deal with players like that. That's slightly ironic given that that's where Lambert plied his trade against the Zidanes of this world. The two options in there are Sylla and Clark, but the former seems to prefer playing higher and the latter doesn't really look like a midfielder (although in many ways he is a poor man's David Luiz).

Ultimately, if we lose to Chelsea, it's unlikely to be entirely Bennett's fault. It would be nice if people could lay off him a bit, as he's played a role in our recent revival, often with no midfielders covering in front of him (notice how Benteke had to track back a long way down our left flank in the second half against Norwich).

Baker is very overrated on here. He looks like an honest, hardworking, but poor player to me. Very good in the air, but not much good at anything else. Bennett gives you much more of an attacking threat, and I've seen him put in some good defensive performances too (obviously not today, however). The other alternatives - Lichaj, Stephens - don't give the impression of being much better either, as Ginko says.

Players with Bennett's physique peak at an older age. I can see him being very good for us next season, with a summer of strength work and a chance to reflect on this season's mistakes.

Re: Chelsea, they aren't as physical or aerial as they used to be, particularly out wide. Would Baker really be the right shout? I'd be more worried about the number of players they have who like to linger between the defensive and midfield lines. We don't have a deep midfield destroyer to deal with players like that. That's slightly ironic given that that's where Lambert plied his trade against the Zidanes of this world. The two options in there are Sylla and Clark, but the former seems to prefer playing higher and the latter doesn't really look like a midfielder (although in many ways he is a poor man's David Luiz).

Ultimately, if we lose to Chelsea, it's unlikely to be entirely Bennett's fault. It would be nice if people could lay off him a bit, as he's played a role in our recent revival, often with no midfielders covering in front of him (notice how Benteke had to track back a long way down our left flank in the second half against Norwich).

I couldn't disagree more about Bennet and Baker, Bennett's isn't anywhere near good enough in defence and needs to go ASAP, his stupidity nearly cost us today.

As for Baker, he's the best of the bunch at CH, yes he makes mistakes but not as many as the rest.

Lambert will know wha he needs to buy this summer, at least 1 competent LB and CH imo should be top of the list.

Bennett has been a liability all season and seems to be the only defender we have who hasn't improved. He simply cannot defend, which is a main requirement if you're playing at left back! He not only fouls a lot but he constantly allows players to run off of him because he has a distinct lack of awareness as to what's going on around him.

Sorry to say all this and sound so harsh but it's the truth. If he could do the basics he would be a decent player.

Evidently really struggling at this late stage in the season, seems burnt out to me. For me we need a senior left back for next season and let the youngsters come on in their own time, Bennett is not even close to being in a PL starting 11 just yet.

For what it's worth, we also need a senior centre back to partner Vlaar. Baker and Clarke have great promise and we need to hang on to them like we didn't with Cahill, but if we stopped the goals conceded we could avoid this end of the table scrap every season. Then we just need to a DM and we won't be far away from a competitive team.

Edited by thunderball

He's not a terrible footballer, that's nonsense.

Bennett has a great pass usually our most accurate defender passing out from the back, 83% accurate (61% forward) compared to 79% for Lowton (66% forward).

If he can improve defensively he would be a very very good player.

As our form shows, he has made improvements defensively. Still needs to work on his decision-making as he has a tendency to impulsively foul when he is beaten, whereas the experienced defender would accept it and do his best, rely on teammates while he recovers a good position.

• Like 1

Bennett has had mixed first season in the Prem, he's certainly shown that on his day he can play football and be a decent player for us.

However, he's also shown us he's prone to errors and appears to get overawed with the occasion (yesterday's match a prime example, along with both semi finals against Bradford)

Ultimately I think he'll be a good acquisition for us but could benefit from better competition for his spot and maybe a more experienced LB to learn his trade from day in day out of the training pitch.

This season has taught us that the following defenders are not PL quality

Bennett, Clark, Herd, Lichaj, Stevens. We need to sell or loan them and but at least 3 quality defenders this summer. We cannot progress without a solid back line .

Bennet is another Shorey and should be dealt with in the same way. Man U targeted him as a weakness and Chelsea will do the same. Either get rid in the summer or as someone else suggested ship him out on loan and let him make his mistakes elsewhere.

Bennet is another Shorey and should be dealt with in the same way. Man U targeted him as a weakness and Chelsea will do the same. Either get rid in the summer or as someone else suggested ship him out on loan and let him make his mistakes elsewhere.

So what do we do until the end of the season?? and why sell him, when he's better than any other LB at the club??

Sure bring in a better player and let them fight it out for a position in the team but to get rid is a little OTT - especially when there are more deserving players to get rid of first.

We need to build a squad and think he'll be good for us at the end of the day.

One of the worst defenders I have ever seen. He gets all of the basics wrong most of the time. If we want a more solid defensive unit then he has to be one of the first to go. He is so bad at defending its quite comical at times

So what do we do until the end of the season?? and why sell him, when he's better than any other LB at the club??

Sure bring in a better player and let them fight it out for a position in the team but to get rid is a little OTT - especially when there are more deserving players to get rid of first.

Yeah, there is no reason to sell him.

Just get another player in who can compete with for the left back spots. That way Bennett won't get a look in unless he improves. 

Just get another player in who can compete with for the left back spots. That way Bennett won't get a look in unless he improves.

There is so much wrong with his game though.

There is so much wrong with his game though.

I agree to some degree but even you have to admit, there's some good there too.

A more experienced LB will bring Bennett on in terms of ability and confidence IMO. Also he does need proper competition for his position.

Not got it at this level - maybe ok to step in for injuries. But watching the game yesterday everything was going down bennetts flank - they had clearly targeted him.

Loads of people were saying nice things about clarks potential 'theres a good player in there' etc - Yet a very raw Baker has come in - and tightened things up for us (where would we be now with Clark still at CB?) - Same with Bennett needs to earn his place in the team - not be played to death and hope he improves.

I expect Bennett to leave in the summer in any case.

Â