General Conspiracy Theory Dump Store

CI

14 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The Fermi Paradox, rather incredibly, doesn't take time into account.  

I'm not sure I follow.

Isn't the paradox that there should be lots of Type III civilizations (Sagan's classification) but there isn't. So it's a discussion about when 'the great filter' occurs in the advancement of a civilization? Which is all about the time-wimy stuff.

• 9 months later...

I often find a correlation between people that aren't prepared to trust experts on science, brexit or the economy and people that are prepared to believe youtube based experts on conspiracies. 

We can't possibly know that consuming 1.6 times the earth's resources might end up being a bad thing. We can prove that George Bush has flicky lizard eyes and took all the people in the WTC for food for our alien overlords.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I often find a correlation between people that aren't prepared to trust experts on science, brexit or the economy and people that are prepared to believe youtube based experts on conspiracies. 

Aye, there's a reason based around the way the brain works, too. Humans don't naturally "work" on facts. The way we're wired up is to work on "stories". And so if a "story" rings as credible with someone, based on their experiences, then it's incredibly difficult, if not impossible to dissuade them of their belief using facts and evidence. The only way to persuade them (us) is to provide a more credible story, and even then it's not easy.

So someone telling a story that casts the Government as criminals will fit with the story many people experience of the government shafting them or not helping them and being a force for bad. Showing them debris, or structural drawings or investigators evidence doesn't fit with their established story understanding and so is dismissed....etc.

• Like 2

Some people have moved desks at work. 

There's now a guy who sits near me who doesn't shut up. Literally talks all day.

Anyway, one of his favourite subjects this week is the 9/11 conspiracy. He's completely convinced that it's real and the US Government did 9/11

It's mental. It's take all my self restraint not to go over and shut him up.

6 hours ago, blandy said:

Aye, there's a reason based around the way the brain works, too. Humans don't naturally "work" on facts. The way we're wired up is to work on "stories". And so if a "story" rings as credible with someone, based on their experiences, then it's incredibly difficult, if not impossible to dissuade them of their belief using facts and evidence. The only way to persuade them (us) is to provide a more credible story, and even then it's not easy.

So someone telling a story that casts the Government as criminals will fit with the story many people experience of the government shafting them or not helping them and being a force for bad. Showing them debris, or structural drawings or investigators evidence doesn't fit with their established story understanding and so is dismissed....etc.

Do the people who are wired this way also more susceptible to be poor spellers too? I do find a very strong correlation between poor spelling, expert distrust, and general acceptance of batshit conspiracy theories.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, darrenm said:

Do the people who are wired this way also more susceptible to be poor spellers too? I do find a very strong correlation between poor spelling, expert distrust, and general acceptance of batshit conspiracy theories.

And they can't ALL be dyslexic. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Trump has a long history of saying he will donate, but then doesn't actually donate.

Allegedly many people who have worked for him would say you could change 'donate' there for a shorter, 3 letter, word beginning with P.

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

There's now a guy who sits near me who doesn't shut up. Literally talks all day.

Anyway, one of his favourite subjects this week is the 9/11 conspiracy. He's completely convinced that it's real and the US Government did 9/11

You would be quite in the right to punch him in the face repeatedly. 'Truthers' are complete scum.

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Every time he talks, throw a paper aeroplane at him.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Something here for those interested (possibly not for those who, on demand, squeal something involving the phrase "tin foil hat" at every mention of state malfeasance).

Only the first part of the article copied here.  Many instances documented.

“False flag terrorism” occurs when elements within a government stage a secret operation whereby government forces pretend to be a targeted enemy while attacking their own forces or people. The attack is then falsely blamed on the enemy in order to justify going to war against that enemy.

Yes, it’s true: There really are conspiracies. As the popular TV show “The X-Files” notes, all you have to do is look because “the truth is out there.”

But unfortunately many in our society have been conditioned by the old media and politicos not to take any mention of conspiracies seriously, and this despite the fact that conspiracies have been real and have occurred much more frequently than many people realize.

In fact, one website – Washington’s Blog – has documented 58 of them in recent days, and many are quite shocking:

Â