Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I also think we are going down. I think the damage has been done.

We have played 22 games and amassed a pitiful 19 points.

We only have 16 games left to play.

We have the worst goal difference in the league.

Does anyone seriously think we are going to even get to that 40 point 'safe' total?

I don't.

So we need 7 wins from 16 games or 6 wins and 3 draws etc.

Not a fecking chance with this lot

West Brom V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V Newcastle

Everton V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V West Ham

Arsenal V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V Man City

Reading V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V QPR

Aston Villa V Liverpool

Stoke V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V Fulham

Man Utd V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V Sunderland

Norwich V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V Chelsea

Wigan V Aston Villa

West Brom V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V Newcastle

Everton V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V West Ham

Arsenal V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V Man City

Reading V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V QPR

Aston Villa V Liverpool

Stoke V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V Fulham

Man Utd V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V Sunderland

Norwich V Aston Villa

Aston Villa V Chelsea

Wigan V Aston Villa

Seeing as we got turned over at home by the likes of Wigan and Southampton, that list looks scary. That said, with a couple of good players signed, we can grind out the required results. The thing that looms large is the goal difference. That could be the thing that sinks us.

Edited by maqroll

Last season I was always confident that we would just about manage to survive. Under Houllier I was confident that we would survive (before the arrival of Bent I was starting to worry though). Even under Taylor I was confident of survival. Fast forward to the present and I've never been this worried about relegation before! I've been a season ticket holder for almost twenty consecutive seasons and I've seen many lows but I've never feared for our safety to the point of trying to prepare myself mentally for relegation, until now. I honestly can't see how we are going to get ourselves clear of it without spending big. Very worrying indeed!

Last season I was always confident that we would just about manage to survive. Under Houllier I was confident that we would survive (before the arrival of Bent I was starting to worry though). Even under Taylor I was confident of survival. Fast forward to the present and I've never been this worried about relegation before! I've been a season ticket holder for almost twenty consecutive seasons and I've seen many lows but I've never feared for our safety to the point of trying to prepare myself mentally for relegation, until now. I honestly can't see how we are going to get ourselves clear of it without spending big. Very worrying indeed!

Yep, same for me.

Last two seasons I thought we were bad but had enough about us to be safe.

This season we look much worse.

Unless something major changes we are going down.

If (and I think we will) we go down, I think the club go into deep turmoil. Looking at the high earners at the club I can't see many leaving or those that do we will take a massive hit on...

Dunne and Warnock - contracts up both leave on frees

Given - cant see anyone paying his wages, maybe leave to a newly promoted side but with Villa still paying a %

Hutton and Ireland - cant see anyone wanting these pair and will be left on our books

Makoun - possibly another loan to a French club

Bent - Proven prem scorer and can see being but would we get a lot? £8-10m max?

Nzog - possibly be sold but again wouldn't recoup much £2-4m?

Gabby - Can't see anyone wanting him, especially with the wages he's on

Then others who coul be sold:

Kea - back to Dutch league £1-2m

Vlaar - might be worth a shout to a lower prem side - £2-4m

Benteke - A top side wouldn't take the gamble as is inconsistent atm £10m?

Can see anyone else being wanted, that would leave us with a poor championship side with limited funds coming in and still have high earners..

(obviously these are all just rough estimates on what I believe we'd get)

Last two seasons I thought we were bad but had enough about us to be safe.

This season we look much worse.

Unless something major changes we are going down.

This. Ask any neutral who has seen us play this season and they'll tell you that we are going down. We have a piss poor side that belongs in the championship.

I've just changed my vote from "not going down" to "unsure".

This is the first time ever (even in the past 2 seasons when people were saying that we were 100% guaranteed to go down) that i feel like we have a good chance of getting relegated.

Was thinking about this...

If you count the 5 clubs seriously in with a chance of relegation as Villa, Southampton, Wigan, QPR and Reading, all the matches between those clubs are "six pointers". Unfortunately, we have already played 5 of our 8 matches in this group and have managed 1 win, 1 draw and 3 losses. 4 points from a possible 15. Only 3 more 6-pointers to go, Reading and Wigan away and QPR at home.

So if we do get out of this, it will have to come from improved performances against teams in the higher reaches of the table. Our chances to wound our relegation rivals are running out.

Edited by briny_ear

Indeed, our remaining matches (excluding relegation rivals) break down as follows:

Current top 4: 4 games

Current top 5-10: 4 games

Current11-17: 5 games

So if the main hope is (to quote Ciaran Clark) "Our luck will turn if we keep showing fighting spirit", it's gonna have to be a big turn of luck and a lot of fight.

I'm more worried than I was, as a lot of fans are, but I still have faith that we'll turn it around. It can be done and we've shown enough glimpses of the team in there to be able to do it - not going to be easy but all is not lost yet and I feel that I need to remain positive and supportive of the team.

I'm more worried than I was, as a lot of fans are, but I still have faith that we'll turn it around. It can be done and we've shown enough glimpses of the team in there to be able to do it - not going to be easy but all is not lost yet and I feel that I need to remain positive and supportive of the team.

You really don't have any basis for that comment - you have no idea what they're doing behind the scenes, nobody besides the people involved themselves do.

Our little mini crap league

TEAM P W D L F A Pts GD PPG LP
1 Southampton 6 5 0 1 11 4 15 +7 2.5 15
2 Wigan Athletic 5 3 1 1 10 7 10 +3 2 17
3 Newcastle United 5 2 2 1 7 5 8 +2 1.6 16
4 Aston Villa 6 1 2 3 4 10 5 -6 0.83 18
5 Queens Park Rangers 5 0 3 2 5 8 3 -3 0.6 20
6 Reading 5 0 2 3 5 8 2 -3 0.4 19