Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I think he might be a bit better next season. I hope so.

He does have some ability and decent attributes but he seems to have struggled with the pace of the division and he has a tendency to lose concentration at times. He's been thrown right into the deep end though; with no PL experience captaining the most inexperienced side in the league whose main policy is to outscore the opposition, playing alongside a bunch of kids at the back with next to no PL experience themselves. In defence especially, that really matters. It can't be easy playing alongside Clark either - he's an accident waiting to happen - even if he does have some ability. 

Either way, a new centre half should be a priority in the summer, but to play alongside Vlaar rather than to replace him. Baker and Clark can fight it out to win their places back, although Baker has been impressive for the most part and might feel hard done by.

I would say he has done okay in his first season with us. The injuries have made him stop-start in the team. He has also had to play with kids the whole season as Dunne has been out. Plus he has been made the captain, us quite a lot of pressure on him. Like most of the posters I think he will be better next season, esp if we can get a another experienced centre half with him, and have Clark and Baker as back-up.

He has done well for me. He came into a league much stronger than he was used to and he was made the captain of a team of kids while having to come up to speed. As has been said countless times in this thread, his leadership has helped those around him. He could certainly have done with an experienced head alongside him at times to share the burden, which is why I think Clark, too, deserves credit for how he has for the most part performed this season. Lambert has certainly started the hard way. It could have gone wrong and it still could. But if the team get through this season and we can continue to make clever additions to the squad then we'll be more than OK. And Vlaar can be at the heart of that.

• Like 1

For some reason I'm under the impression that making the transition into the Premier League as a defender is far more difficult and takes more time then it does doing it as a attacking type of player. No idea if this is correct though.

no i think its same. Verthongen is similar move and he is adapted like a duck to water. Vlaar injury probably put him back a bit in his settling in

Well that kind of backs up BOF's point - look who verthongen has around him and the team he walked into - a much easier transition.

Vlaar has been dropped in as pretty much the only senior figure and been made captain. Very different.

For some reason I'm under the impression that making the transition into the Premier League as a defender is far more difficult and takes more time then it does doing it as a attacking type of player. No idea if this is correct though.

Agreed with that ,I recall Vidic and Evra's first game for United and the latter in particular was awful.Looked like poor buys but now they are 2 of the best players in their position in the league.

Vlaar has done ok considering new league ,made captain and been out injured.

Agreed with that ,I recall Vidic and Evra's first game for United and the latter in particular was awful.Looked like poor buys but now they are 2 of the best players in their position in the league.

Vlaar has done ok considering new league ,made captain, pubescent team-mates and been out injured.

Fixeded.

Vlaar isn't as dominant as i hoped he would be so we'll need to purchase another CB who has this attribute especially in taking more responsibility with crosses and corners coming into our box.

Thats where we have missed Collins and Dunne and why i would have loved to have seen a fit Dunne partner Vlaar at the heart of our defence this season. 

Edited by Morpheus

• 3 weeks later...

Captain's performance tonight.  A goal right when we needed it and didn't put a foot wrong all night.  A typically fantastic performance.  The difference tonight was the man got the result he deserved.

Up until the shot I just kept seeing headers from him, when got into that position I (and thousands more I believe) shouted SHOOT and apparently the OS quotes him as having heard us and wham.. Sound!

Then it was gabby clearing it out of defence.

So at one point in the first half roles were reversed!

There's a lot of comments about not a foot being placed wrong but first half there were a lot of easy attacks for slumberland, who fortunately were too weak to make the most.

That said we scored 6

Â