Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

That interception when they were breaking like 3 on 1 was crucial and top class defending. His positioning is usually excellent, and he's not even all that bad in the air. The only problem with him is that he sometimes loses his man too easily from set pieces.

He is not without individual errors, but I guess who is....seen macca do it ( hush my mouth and say 3 hail mary's)

.....But he does add a bit of steadying influence to us, which is crucial right now.

he was at fault for the 1st goal though. when shot went in he stopped and Jenas followed up. a cardinal sin of defending

Agree with this. But apart from that I think he was good yesterday and has been quite good during the whole season when he's played.

he was at fault for the 1st goal though. when shot went in he stopped and Jenas followed up. a cardinal sin of defending

Agree with this. But apart from that I think he was good yesterday and has been quite good during the whole season when he's played.

not sure I agree with this, when watching the goal I thought Clark was more at fault for not tracking Zamora or stepping up to play him offside.

Well, I didn't mean to solely lay the blame on Vlaar, but he certainly stops running when the shot is taken and if he hadn't he'd probably reach the ball before Jenas. He shouldn't have stopped running. But that was one of a fair few errors for that goal. The only one directly involved in that goal that wasn't to be blamed was probably Guzan.

A sign of a poor defender is a lack of urgency in your own box. This was something that used to bug me with Ridgewell in particular - he'd often be flat footed and ball watching in our area (set pieces or no).

I see some of this in Vlaar and the first goal is a prime example. It worries me.

not sure I agree with this, when watching the goal I thought Clark was more at fault for not tracking Zamora or stepping up to play him offside.

Vlaar gambled on the pullback.

Obviously the wrong decision in the end, but it's not like he switched off or couldn't be arsed.

he just wrongly anticipated the Zamora shot.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still not convinced on Vlaar, I will be watching him more closely to try and convince myself that he is as good as he is supoose to be, but a Defender like him should be a general and should lead by example and so far I just haven't seen what I hoped to.

Hopefully in the games remaining he turns into a monster

I am still not convinced on Vlaar, I will be watching him more closely to try and convince myself that he is as good as he is supoose to be, but a Defender like him should be a general and should lead by example and so far I just haven't seen what I hoped to.

I think that's EXACTLY what he does do.

I don't think he's the most talented defender. He's decent, but he's not amazing.

But he is certainly a leader and does that vocally and by example.

THe defence is undoubtedly better (but still not great, admittedly) since he came back into the team. And I don't think that's down much to his ability, and more down to his leadership and experience.

His ability is fine - he's great on the ground but his aerial game isn't that good. That's why him and Baker seem to work well together. 

You call other people trolls but thinking about it the majority of your posts seem to go against all evidence.

If I had no knowledge of Aston Villa and read just your posts I'd assume they were a top 6 club full of top class players run by a brilliant owner.

I don't really see what lexicon has said there that's hinting we're a top 6 club.

He's said Vlaar is "fine", good on the ground but not great in the air, which is why he works with Baker (I assume because Baker IS good in the air)

I don't think anyone would read that and assume we had a top class player on our hands.

Something that's worth bearing in mind when discussing our defenders, we're always going to concede goals under Lambert. We play an open, expansive game, at least that is clearly what we have been heading for. The defence is left exposed as a result and whilst they're decent players and not brilliant ones they will make mistakes.

The trick is scoring more than we concede, something we're doing rather well at the minute. We also appear to have tightened up on set pieces, which is nice.

I don't really see what lexicon has said there that's hinting we're a top 6 club.

He's said Vlaar is "fine", good on the ground but not great in the air, which is why he works with Baker (I assume because Baker IS good in the air)

I don't think anyone would read that and assume we had a top class player on our hands.

Not that extreme with that post.

Just hit me that's its a bit rich calling people trolls.

Still not a fan of Vlaar. Would not be too fussed if we replaced him in the summer. He is crap in the air and his marking is dire. We need an experienced centre half that poseses some quality which Ron does not.

Not that extreme with that post.

Just hit me that's its a bit rich calling people trolls.

As are you, especially with your recent posts in here since they are clearly negative, aimed at a specific poster and done in order to get a reaction. In fact, I've seen a lot more posts like this from you than I have Lexicon in my time here. I realise this post is also cut from the same cloth, fight fire with fire and all that.

Â