Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Love the guy! remember watching this when we were linked with him, thinking we need a bit of this.

About 1:28 in

Like a **** Viking.

He needs to shave his head and keep his beard a bit, I honestly think that when he shaves his beard yet grows his hair it stops him from performing like a warrior.

He does make mistakes but he's getting better, first season in a league that plays a high tempo, so he is bound to get caught out.

Looks better next to Baker than Clark too.

Did some research. 

Without Vlaar, we've picked up just 14 points from 16 games but with him we've got 26 from 20. Pretty telling that is. 

He's a warrior at times but some of his clearances are bloody dangerous!

The type where the ball is cleared by him to just outside the box into the path of the on coming opposition player as he has done several time this season would drive my junior team coach mad so how this hasn't been addressed in a international defender is strange.

Good 1st season but will need to improve otherwise I'm sure Lambert will act.

Did some research. 

Without Vlaar, we've picked up just 14 points from 16 games but with him we've got 26 from 20. Pretty telling that is. 

Selective accounting. That leaves out the results we've picked with Sylla (4 wins from 5 starts) and other such changes made and improvements from some.

He seems a good leader but boy does he make some cock-ups.

I'd rank him 3rd on the list of players that need to be upgraded if we're going to move up the table next season unless he can get rid of his way to frequent howlers.

The type where the ball is cleared by him to just outside the box into the path of the on coming opposition player as he has done several time this season would drive my junior team coach mad so how this hasn't been addressed in a international defender is strange.

Yep

Did it twice against Norwich, luckily they aren't very good.

For me he hasn't been an improvement on James Collins. But we'll see how he does in his second season hopefully playing next to an experienced defender.

I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt because this is his first season in the premier league and he was injured for a while, next season he needs to be better. We need Laursen back though :D.

Surprised by this recent criticism of Vlaar? Him being injured was a huge factor in the Christmas slump. His experience on the pitch is vital and I think he's a good defender. He's clearly better technically than Collins. He also just scored a screamer!

Poor first season with us but assume he is using this to adopt to the Premier League, will expect a lot more from him the next season. If not then he is simply not good enough

I'm not saying he's a world beater, but he's a bit like Carragher in the sense that he's not a great player individually, yet the defence looks far better organised with him in it.

Vlaar hasn't been an improvement on Collins? Oh good god.

It's not at all clear that is an improvement to be honest. As much as I hate Collins he's a solid premier league centre half, and Vlaar is at best that.

Vlaar is a top bloke but I'm not really convinced of his quality. We are much better off with him in the side than without, but that's because the alternatives are so poor.

Â