Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

The defence is undeniably stronger with him in it. And that's as much, if not more, down to his leadership and experience than it is down to his ability.

Probably but we've really no-one else anyway.

I don't think Vlaar has been an noticeable improvement on either Cuellar, Collins or Dunne. He might be better on the ground but is much poorer dealing with the high ball into the box and our defence is still fragile because of that.

The defence is undeniably stronger with him in it. And that's as much, if not more, down to his leadership and experience than it is down to his ability.

I don't really know what this means.

He did but then Vlaar also went to him and put his arm around him to show some leadership. Lambert did also, so you can see the togetherness of the side.

yeah i saw lambo calling him over after benteke scored and telling him not to worry

great man mangement i like to see togetherness in the side

I don't think Vlaar has been an noticeable improvement on either Cuellar, Collins or Dunne. He might be better on the ground but is much poorer dealing with the high ball into the box and our defence is still fragile because of that.

His cost is a lot less than the above you mentioned which kind of says where we were with the 'inept' spending of MON. Cuellar, Collins and Dunne cost a combined 17million, then when you add Davies to it my god!

Edited by SikhInTrinity

His cost is a lot less than the above you mentioned which kind of says where we were with the 'inept' spending of MON. Cuellar, Collins and Dunne cost a combined 17million, then when you add Davies to it my god!

Jesus, sometimes you forget just how bad O'Neill was in the transfer market.

• Like 1

Cuellar, Collins and Dunne were part of one of the best defences in the league.

Dunne was voted into the PFA team of the year his performances were that good.

Sometimes you forget how well these players did under him.

Not really his fault houllier and Mcleish were absolutely useless.

Dunne was voted as one of the top 2 defenders in the league. Doesn't seem bad for £5 million.

Collins played a big part in our defence and again £5 million isn't crazy money and we got around half of that back once he was sold.

Cuellar was expensive but he'd just been voted players played and press writers player of the year in Scotland and had a great campaign playing in Europe for rangers. His price was expensive because rangers didn't want to sell so we had to meet his selling clause to sign him.

At the end of the day they played a big part in being one of the best defences in the league. I know it's been awhile since we had a decent defence but that's what defenders should be doing.

Unfortunately other managers couldn't get the same level of performance from them.

Just because Dunne was voted into the team of the year one season and Cuellar and Collins were also part of a good defence in one single season doesn't mean they were worth their fees and wages. People need to remember that there were seasons after 09/10.

To be honest I don't think we'd even be having this discussion if it wasn't O'Neill who signed them.

I think it's clear that ability-wise they just weren't worth the money we paid. You can go on about other managers not getting the best out of them all you like but clearly they were never that good to begin with if they're poor under two successive managers. The cracks were already appearing in the latter stages of the 09/10 season anyway.

It's O'Neill's fault because he simply overpaid for these players. Dunne in particular was a shocking deal. £5m and a 4 year 55k a week deal for a 30 year old (he was almost 30 when we signed him). Great business that. He's going to leave on a free, just like Cuellar is (who we paid almost £8m for).

I know it isn't O'Neill's fault that these players have left/are going to leave for nothing but maybe if he'd been a bit smarter in the transfer market we wouldn't be in that situation.

Edited by Mantis

John you love Oneil - fair enough.

But if you cannot agree that paying almost 27 million for  Dunne, Collins, Cuellar and Davies all of which had long term 40k plus contracts with davies also having the option in his contract of always earning the same as the highest earner at the club and a bit extra then you are just being stubborn.

I loved the Oneil years but the man **** up the majority of his transfers and crippled the wage bill (because he was allowed to) you can count the good players he signed on one hand.

Dunne was voted as one of the top 2 defenders in the league. Doesn't seem bad for £5 million.

Collins played a big part in our defence and again £5 million isn't crazy money and we got around half of that back once he was sold.

Cuellar was expensive but he'd just been voted players played and press writers player of the year in Scotland and had a great campaign playing in Europe for rangers. His price was expensive because rangers didn't want to sell so we had to meet his selling clause to sign him.

At the end of the day they played a big part in being one of the best defences in the league. I know it's been awhile since we had a decent defence but that's what defenders should be doing.

Unfortunately other managers couldn't get the same level of performance from them.

Pub league standard in Scotland, I'd stand out in that league despite a replacement knee. Cuellar was a decent footballer with a great attitude but let's not over hype him. 

Â