Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

just to keep it somwhere near topic I still think Vlaar is a great aquisition for us!

While I agree that both Mellberg and Laursen were both great on their day and showed a lot of passion and commitment for the club I can understand people's opinions vary when it comes to legend status. 

It made me wonder how old people would be if they were born when God left for Derby - and they'd be 16 or 17 now. meaning there's 20 somethings around that cant even remember us being a good team or having great, legendary players.

If I was younger than me and had the last 20 years of villa to pick a legend from I cant think of many better choices than mellberg.

everyone posting here could well be in their 70's I dont know or care! I was just sharing :)

Agreed, I'm only 20 so for me Mellberg and Laursen are legend's. I can't remember seeing the like's of McGrath and such, even though I can read about their exploit's on here and from the conversation's I've had with my dad, fact is I've never seen them play live so how can I compare. Growing up and watching Mellberg who was a model pro and brought passion to a pretty crap villa team was fantastic considering this was a time when much more money was coming into the game and more and more "mercenaries" started to show up, 

Laursen for me is also legendary but slightly behind Mellberg based on games played.

Just wondering, does anyone think if Laursen had remained injury free and had kept playing until his late 30's, would people put him on par with god?

laursen wasnt fit to lace mcgrath's boots. that's not a sleight on laursen, that's just how good mcgrath was. we're talking one of the best defenders of all time, ever.

Yeah, Laursen was one of the best in the air I have seen but he wasn't the best defender against attackers who play the ball on the floor. McGrath had the lot. 

How on earth vlaar is being mentioned in the same sentence as either Mcgrath, mellberg and laursen is just pathetic.

Its like comparing sol cambell with bobby more!..

We will see what kind of a man and player vlaar is today against andy carrol.

Someone of similar size and supposed aerial ability, Not giving it the billy big bollox against 5ft 2" Nathan dyre!..

Is there any Villa player you actually like/liked Woodytom?

Of course. Weimann, Benteke at the minute. The rest are pretty awful though but that doesnt mean I don't like them either.  

I liked Laursen and I liked Mellberg - I just dont think they were as good as everybody made out.

FWIW, I thought Vlaar had a decent game on Sunday and the defence as a whole looked a lot more solid. 

WoodyTom **** off back to Toy Story

Quality post. 

I assume its because you couldn't come up with an answer to clear examples that I gave of players who are/were in the top 5 in the league in their positions (not that i agree Laursen was) yet definitely arent legends at their current clubs.

Edited by Woodytom

• 2 weeks later...

Injured going assume, tweeted this yesterday, "The day after.. Waking up and thinking back, remember what happened.... Feel very bad and ashamed... Support was great... Can't say any more" Haven't got a clue what it means :S

Of course. Weimann, Benteke at the minute. The rest are pretty awful though but that doesnt mean I don't like them either.  

I liked Laursen and I liked Mellberg - I just dont think they were as good as everybody made out.

FWIW, I thought Vlaar had a decent game on Sunday and the defence as a whole looked a lot more solid. 

>WoodyTom **** off back to Toy Story

Quality post. 

I assume its because you couldn't come up with an answer to clear examples that I gave of players who are/were in the top 5 in the league in their positions (not that i agree Laursen was) yet definitely arent legends at their current clubs.

WoodyTom I should create a poll about the most pessimistic members on the forum, you would be a favourite, evens ;)

Injured going assume, tweeted this yesterday, "The day after.. Waking up and thinking back, remember what happened.... Feel very bad and ashamed... Support was great... Can't say any more" Haven't got a clue what it means :S

That was on January 24, the day after the defeat to Newcastle. 

>WoodyTom **** off back to Toy

Story

Quality post. 

WoodyTom I should create a poll about the most pessimistic members on the forum, you would be a favourite, evens ;)

Tbh, read my posts. I usually take a positive stance on most things - Lerner, Lambert, relegation battle etc.

However, if your waiting for me to say that Ron Vlaar has proved a good buy - you will be waiting a long time. Thats not pessimism. Thats realism. And another injury kind of supports that. A complete waste of time.

Â