Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

But he is better. Have you lost all your memories concerning these two players. I really liked Cuellar, but he's not above Vlaar. Couldn't even pass the ball 5 yards to a player with the same colours as himself. Collins? Really? Short memories, ftw.

But he is better. Have you lost all your memories concerning these two players. I really liked Cuellar, but he's not above Vlaar. Couldn't even pass the ball 5 yards to a player with the same colours as himself. Collins? Really? Short memories, ftw.

Well we are going to have to disagree.

Ron Vlaars performances this season have been no better/worse than that of Collins and Cuellar in recent seasons.

My memory isnt lost. I recognise that Cuellar and Collins are both poor players. However, on the basis of this season - so is Vlaar and on some occasions this season even Ron Vlaar agrees with me.

Were in the relegation zone Pelle. Now Im not for 1 moment suggesting its all Ron Vlaars fault. However, if you scroll through the forum:

Apparently.........

Guzans class

Lowtons been a good buy

Bakers going to be class

Vlaars been a good buy

Westwood is going to be class

Delph and Westwood or forming a decent partnership

Delphs been playing class

Gabbys immense on his day

Weimanns been quality

Benteke's a worldy who we could get 25m plus for.

Now, again, Im not suggesting that all those statements are wrong and Im not suggesting the whole forum agrees with them all. What I am pointing out is that that list is pretty much the spine of our squad. So, if the majority of those player evaluations were true we wouldnt be 18th in the league having won 5 games all season.

Some players are vastly overated on this site - Imo, Vlaar is one of them.

I dont think Vlaar has been that good but he has been a slight improvement on Collins and Cuellar who have been dreadful in games ive seen them for West Ham and Sunderland.

really think he needed Dunne fit to at least guide him for a few games at the start

I could say exactly the opposite, and be as right as you are.

The truth is, as usual, it's somewhere in the middle.

Well know I dont think you could.

What would you say - 'were 18th in the league so they cant all be shit'?

Edited by Woodytom

Ron Vlaars performances this season have been no better/worse than that of Collins and Cuellar in recent seasons.

My memory isnt lost. I recognise that Cuellar and Collins are both poor players. However, on the basis of this season - so is Vlaar and on some occasions this season even Ron Vlaar agrees with me.

Were in the relegation zone Pelle. Now Im not for 1 moment suggesting its all Ron Vlaars fault. However, if you scroll through the forum:

Apparently.........

Guzans class

Lowtons been a good buy

Bakers going to be class

Vlaars been a good buy

Weimanns been quality

Now, again, Im not suggesting that all those statements are wrong and Im not suggesting the whole forum agrees with them all. What I am pointing out is that that list is pretty much the spine of our squad. So, if the majority of those player evaluations were true we wouldnt be 18th in the league having won 5 games all season.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you highlight ten players and say they are the spine of our squad!! We have a woeful squad.

Observe how we have looked so much better recently now that everyone is fit (until Vlaar got injured), which was very much not the case for much of this season, particularly the awful period over christmas. We were especially bad when N'Zogbia, Gabby and Vlaar were all out. The reason we are 18th, IMO, is down to the fact that we haven't got anyone other than those players you've mentioned to fill in when they have been injured, or to provide decent competition for places, so when they have been injured we replaced them with people who aren't good enough.

Also, consider how Delph and N'Zogbia have only just started performing recently and how you wouldn't want to rely on Baker and Clark at centre back all season due to their inexperience. 

I really believe the players you mentioned are decent, we just don't have enough of them. 

Apparently.........

Guzans class

Lowtons been a good buy

Bakers going to be class

Vlaars been a good buy

Weimanns been quality

I think you hit the nail on the head when you highlight ten players and say they are the spine of our squad!! We have a woeful squad.

Observe how we have looked so much better recently now that everyone is fit (until Vlaar got injured), which was very much not the case for much of this season, particularly the awful period over christmas. We were especially bad when N'Zogbia, Gabby and Vlaar were all out. The reason we are 18th, IMO, is down to the fact that we haven't got anyone other than those players you've mentioned to fill in when they have been injured, or to provide decent competition for places, so when they have been injured we replaced them with people who aren't good enough.

Also, consider how Delph and N'Zogbia have only just started performing recently and how you wouldn't want to rely on Baker and Clark at centre back all season due to their inexperience. 

I really believe the players you mentioned are decent, we just don't have enough of them. 

I appreciate what you are saying but I disagree. We have been pretty woeful all season and some of our better performances have come when the players you mention werent playing.

No matter who is playing, I think we are a dreadfully poor team and one of the worst I have seen in the premiership tbh. Really Really poor.

Remember that most of those opinions are based on matches where a certain players has excelled compared to what they have showed earlier. Think about it, basically the only player on the team that has been consistent this season is Guzan. Several players on our team has had so many on and off matches, which in result puts us in this mess. Think about it, it`s every match. Heck, even bennett had his best match against Arsenal for whatever reason. I think this is why you get some of these conflicted opinions. 

I could say exactly the opposite, and be as right as you are.

The truth is, as usual, it's somewhere in the middle.

There are many problems, but we don't play as a balanced unit, is one of the main ones.

The individual quality is imbalanced too.

Apparently.........

Guzans class

Lowtons been a good buy

Bakers going to be class

Vlaars been a good buy

Weimanns been quality

I appreciate what you are saying but I disagree. We have been pretty woeful all season and some of our better performances have come when the players you mention werent playing.

No matter who is playing, I think we are a dreadfully poor team and one of the worst I have seen in the premiership tbh. Really Really poor.

I have felt that we look uncomfortable on the ball for along time.... We panic in possession much too easily.

Folk have said we lack confidence or experience, I believe we lack basic ball control. We have not displayed an ability to control proceedings for years and relying on counter attacking football for results has masked over these deficiencies.

Counter attacking football is relatively common place, but you have to be able to hold things together at times and show some control during a game. We have been unable to do that for years now....and it has gradually worse, not better.

Apparently.........

Guzans class

Lowtons been a good buy

Bakers going to be class

Vlaars been a good buy

Weimanns been quality

You do raise a good point but surely the issue has been pretty clear all season.

We do have lots of players who have ability and thats why a number of the comments you have been made. The problem is we have been making individual error after individual error and these have been shared around the pitch.

Clarkes made a bunch of them, as have Lowton, Baker, Bennett, Weimann, Benteke, Delph, Westwood.

We have lots of players who I think will one day be solid premier league pro's. Problem is they are all learning their trade together and as such are prone to a rick every now and again.

You have to remember without just a few of these ricks we would be far higher up the table, people would be lauding Lambert for steadying the ship and getting ready to push on next season

will he be fit for Reading?

I really hope he is, i know he hasn't yet turned out the player we hoped he would be but he's still better than the alternatives.

I still think we have a bit more defensive steel when Lichaj plays - ok so he doesn't offer much in the way of passing but he can tackle.

Yeah think he will be fit for Reading, put him alongside Baker.

Problem is Baker is pretty injury prone too

Honestly, if it wasn't for those two being so injury prone I think we'd be a lot better off this season.

Â