Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

No one can criticise Vlaar for a lack of passion. Plays with his heart on the sleeve and I think he's really keen to build up a good relationship with the fans, hence why he mentions past legends Mellberg and Laursen. I wasn't at Chelsea away but I heard he was buying our fans drinks in the away end at half time, why would he spend his weekend doing this if he didn't care for the club.

WOW, a few drinks! No idea how you can call Mellberg and Laursen legends I really don't. I cant think of 1 villa legend over the past two decades really.

You really shouldn't drink.

No one can criticise Vlaar for a lack of passion. Plays with his heart on the sleeve and I think he's really keen to build up a good relationship with the fans, hence why he mentions past legends Mellberg and Laursen. I wasn't at Chelsea away but I heard he was buying our fans drinks in the away end at half time, why would he spend his weekend doing this if he didn't care for the club.

WOW, a few drinks! No idea how you can call Mellberg and Laursen legends I really don't. I cant think of 1 villa legend over the past two decades really.

If he really cares, why does he accept such a ridiculous wage?? Why not just do it for say 5k a week (taking into account its a short career)??

That will be when I really sit up and take note of a footballers character. Not for a few jars at HT or tops for a few thousand fans. (very much doubt he paid the going rate). Nice gesture all the less, but hardly groundbreaking. 

This just sounds bitter towards anyone who earns more than you. So just because he earns good money he should buy everyone a car or the like??? deluded sir.

This isn't even a response to big Ron, just a pop at footballers or high earners who you obviously are jealous of.

Edited by villan_007

He comes across as the opposite of a rocket polisher and shows that he cares and it means something to him. 

Id be more inclined to claim adbo to be a rocket polisher based on what Ive seen! 

I loves a good rocket polish !

If he really cares, why does he accept such a ridiculous wage?? Why not just do it for say 5k a week (taking into account its a short career)??

That will be when I really sit up and take note of a footballers character. Not for a few jars at HT or tops for a few thousand fans. (very much doubt he paid the going rate). Nice gesture all the less, but hardly groundbreaking.

To me they are legends.

Laursen was bordering on world class, we got him from a top club in AC Milan due to his injury record. When he did step on the pitch for us (quite a decent number of occasions), he was outstanding in both boxes.

Mellberg was a leader and a stalwart in our defence for a number of years when we had a very average team around him for much of it. He's also well respected on the world stage having represented an often over-achieving Sweden side at several major tournaments.

I agree with both sides.  I think Laursen & Mellberg were a bit off Legendary Status - but the flip was they were really really good players for Villa.  I think Mellberg just shades Laursen but only down to the number of games we got out of Martin. 

In my opinion Legendary Status is bandied about far too easily these days........

I think Legend should be used to describe the likes of McGrath, Shaw, Sid, Aitken etc.....

To me they are legends.

Laursen was bordering on world class, we got him from a top club in AC Milan due to his injury record. When he did step on the pitch for us (quite a decent number of occasions), he was outstanding in both boxes.

Mellberg was a leader and a stalwart in our defence for a number of years when we had a very average team around him for much of it. He's also well respected on the world stage having represented an often over-achieving Sweden side at several major tournaments.

How can you say Mellberg and Laursen weren't legends at AVFC, Laursen was probably one of the top five defenders in the Prem in his prime and Mellberg said above his a leader

This just sounds bitter towards anyone who earns more than you. So just because he earns good money he should buy everyone a car or the like??? deluded sir.

This isn't even a response to big Ron, just a pop at footballers or high earners who you obviously are jealous of.

Eh, where did I say I expected cars? Its neither a response to big Ron or a pop at high earning footballers who I am indeed - insanely jealous of there huge weekly wage that demolishes my yearly wage - but by no means bitter. Read my posts, you will notice I say 'good luck to them' quite a lot. They have found somebody stupid enough to pay it.

What my post is though, is an argument against opinions that claim a couple of nice gestures (that in relative terms - are done day in/day out by the average person) from footballers are reasons to almost Lord them.

Olof Mellberg was a decent CB for Villa. Never won anything (never looked like winning anything) Was part of one of the worst eras in Villas premiership history and arguably part of one of the worst squads. He was also part of the better squads as well tbf. He was a decent pro footballer. What he did at West Ham - was a very nice gesture - that he didnt have to do. However, that is no reason to make out he was any better player than he was - and I believe that happens on here. 

I also believe that Ron Vlaar has received similar treatment due to his attitude towards Villa off the field. The fact he has been below par since the start of the season, only seems to be coming into consideration now with most fans.

To me they are legends.

How can you say Mellberg and Laursen weren't legends at AVFC, Laursen was probably one of the top five defenders in the Prem in his prime and Mellberg said above his a leader

So all leaders are legends??

Carlos Tevez was no doubt one of the top 5 strikers in the league at Man Utd. Does that make him a Man Utd legend? Robin Van Persie is easily the best forward in the league. Is he a Man Utd legend?

vlaar is not as good as either mellberg or laursen. legends they are not, people like Brian Little and Gordon Cowans fall into the legend bracket in my eyes. Mellberg and Laursen were very good players no doubt. Legends certainly not.

Eh, where did I say I expected cars? Its neither a response to big Ron or a pop at high earning footballers who I am indeed - insanely jealous of there huge weekly wage that demolishes my yearly wage - but by no means bitter. Read my posts, you will notice I say 'good luck to them' quite a lot. They have found somebody stupid enough to pay it.

What my post is though, is an argument against opinions that claim a couple of nice gestures (that in relative terms - are done day in/day out by the average person) from footballers are reasons to almost Lord them.

Olof Mellberg was a decent CB for Villa. Never won anything (never looked like winning anything) Was part of one of the worst eras in Villas premiership history and arguably part of one of the worst squads. He was also part of the better squads as well tbf. He was a decent pro footballer. What he did at West Ham - was a very nice gesture - that he didnt have to do. However, that is no reason to make out he was any better player than he was - and I believe that happens on here. 

I also believe that Ron Vlaar has received similar treatment due to his attitude towards Villa off the field. The fact he has been below par since the start of the season, only seems to be coming into consideration now with most fans.

well Mellberg stayed here during the peak of his career and rarely had a bad game when played with crap defenders like Ridgewell and Jlloyd Samuel at centre half. Just because he was in a poor squad doesnt mean he cant be classed as a legend.

Matt Le Tissier played in some awful squads and never looked like winning anything

just to keep it somwhere near topic I still think Vlaar is a great aquisition for us!

While I agree that both Mellberg and Laursen were both great on their day and showed a lot of passion and commitment for the club I can understand people's opinions vary when it comes to legend status. 

It made me wonder how old people would be if they were born when God left for Derby - and they'd be 16 or 17 now. meaning there's 20 somethings around that cant even remember us being a good team or having great, legendary players.

If I was younger than me and had the last 20 years of villa to pick a legend from I cant think of many better choices than mellberg.

everyone posting here could well be in their 70's I dont know or care! I was just sharing :)

just to keep it somwhere near topic I still think Vlaar is a great aquisition for us!

While I agree that both Mellberg and Laursen were both great on their day and showed a lot of passion and commitment for the club I can understand people's opinions vary when it comes to legend status. 

It made me wonder how old people would be if they were born when God left for Derby - and they'd be 16 or 17 now. meaning there's 20 somethings around that cant even remember us being a good team or having great, legendary players.

If I was younger than me and had the last 20 years of villa to pick a legend from I cant think of many better choices than mellberg.

everyone posting here could well be in their 70's I dont know or care! I was just sharing :)

Agreed, I'm only 20 so for me Mellberg and Laursen are legend's. I can't remember seeing the like's of McGrath and such, even though I can read about their exploit's on here and from the conversation's I've had with my dad, fact is I've never seen them play live so how can I compare. Growing up and watching Mellberg who was a model pro and brought passion to a pretty crap villa team was fantastic considering this was a time when much more money was coming into the game and more and more "mercenaries" started to show up, 

Laursen for me is also legendary but slightly behind Mellberg based on games played.

Just wondering, does anyone think if Laursen had remained injury free and had kept playing until his late 30's, would people put him on par with god?

Mellberg's beard was more of a legend than he was, as without it he wasn't that good a defender!!

Laursen would have been a legend had he not spent most of his career at Villa injured, but when he was fit - what a player!

The trouble is these days no player stays at a club long enough to become a legend, well unless they are in the top 4 as there is no loyalty above money these days.

Still Gabby could become a Villa legend.

Concrete he ain't, he talks the talk but can't back it up.

Very average but then if he had of been any good someone else would have jumped in while Lambert/lerner were pissing him about. No club did so what does that say about him?

Too injury prone and not quiet good enough but he's still the best we have in a very poor defence, god help us.

Agreed, I'm only 20 so for me Mellberg and Laursen are legend's. I can't remember seeing the like's of McGrath and such, even though I can read about their exploit's on here and from the conversation's I've had with my dad, fact is I've never seen them play live so how can I compare. Growing up and watching Mellberg who was a model pro and brought passion to a pretty crap villa team was fantastic considering this was a time when much more money was coming into the game and more and more "mercenaries" started to show up, 

Laursen for me is also legendary but slightly behind Mellberg based on games played.

Just wondering, does anyone think if Laursen had remained injury free and had kept playing until his late 30's, would people put him on par with god?

laursen wasnt fit to lace mcgrath's boots. that's not a sleight on laursen, that's just how good mcgrath was. we're talking one of the best defenders of all time, ever.

Â