Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Fellaini is very hard to defend but a defender like vlaar is suposed to be able to

Fellaini has made a mug of much better defenders than Vlaar. He's a brilliant player.

No shame at all for Vlaar yesterday, he had a good game. Clark is the problem, shockingly bad.

• Like 1

think the problem is Fellaini muscled him off the ball with very little effort on his part, same with Hanson. He was supposed to be the rock we were missing from set-pieces. 

I think its pretty sad id rather have Collins back in defence :'(

he just got back from an injury too, im sure he will improve a bit still. I thought he did alright last night, a couple of mistakes against good opposition, no shame in that.

it will be interesting to see what happens against carrol. maybe sylla can stand on vlaars shoulders?

I was at the game yesterday and from what i have seen of Vlaar he is an average defender, for starters him marking fellaini at the corner was ridiculous as he was a lot shorter than fellaini and also when he heads the ball out he does not looki at where he is heading it as he has been responsible for a lot the oppositions goals as he he heads it out straight to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  he also does not manage the defence properly and does not have the stature of say Mellberg  and also i would love to see Luarsen return to us as a defence coach as who ever is doing it at the moment may as well pack up abd go home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is true:

He's better than Collins in every conceivable way except for maybe in the air. 

+ this is surely the way forward:

I'd like to see Baker instead of Clark alongside Vlaar. 

+ this is basically what I came here to add to this thread:

Fellaini has made a mug of much better defenders than Vlaar. He's a brilliant player.

No shame at all for Vlaar yesterday, he had a good game. Clark is the problem, shockingly bad.

When Vlaar was out for weeks, people were saying as soon as he comes back, the defence will be better. Unfortunately that has not been the case. I think this is a scenario where a players reputation gets enhanced when he is no there. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Did anybody here Hansons analysis on MOD, he was bang on the money when he talked about Clarke and his inexperience, the way he constantly gets close and tries to dance with the forwards is abysmal and shows a total lack of experience and confidence, why can our coaches not bloody see this and advise the lad on what he should be doing. Hanson could see how to put it right so why can't they.

Er you seem to be forgetting the bit where Hansen showed how in the 2nd half Clark had learned and was stepping in front of his man. They put it down to learning from Vlaar but I think it is a little more likely Lambert or one of the coaches had a word at half time.

Vlaar was poor at the euros so I wasn't expecting much when we signed him and I haven't been disappointed. He's no Martin Laursen - he used to cover for Zat knight and still became a Villa Legend.

When Vlaar was out for weeks, people were saying as soon as he comes back, the defence will be better. Unfortunately that has not been the case. I think this is a scenario where a players reputation gets enhanced when he is no there. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

goals conceded in League games with/without Vlaar

with    : 29 goals in 16 games (goals conceded per game 1.81)

without:  20 goals in 9 games (goals conceded per game 2.22)

(before the injury this was 22 in 13 @ 1.69)

not that much in it! but hopefully I found some stats to back up my own point of view ;P

yes we've let in 7 in the last 3 games since his return but we'd let in 18 in the previous 5 league games without him. It may not be perfect but it has definitely improved since his return. the night and day/ying and yang of the Bradford results would also suggest as much. 

Not there for 5 of the 6 games unbeaten up to Liverpool.

goals conceded in League games with/without Vlaar

with    : 29 goals in 16 games (goals conceded per game 1.81)

without:  20 goals in 9 games (goals conceded per game 2.22)

(before the injury this was 22 in 13 @ 1.69)

not that much in it! but hopefully I found some stats to back up my own point of view ;P

yes we've let in 7 in the last 3 games since his return but we'd let in 18 in the previous 5 league games without him. It may not be perfect but it has definitely improved since his return. the night and day/ying and yang of the Bradford results would also suggest as much. 

Yeah there is not much in it, pretty close. Not a huge improvement like some had thought or hoped. And as has been mentioned, he has been at fault for 5 goals since his return. He is average, but he is the best centre back at the club.

Not there for 5 of the 6 games unbeaten up to Liverpool.

Yep, kept saying it but people wouldnt accept it.

Hes as awful as the rest. truly believe that his kind words at the start of the season papered over his shocking performances. 

We always seem to have a well overated CB:

Mellberg really wasnt that good

Laursen was a headless chicken - sometimes good - sometimes woeful

Now Vlaar

Edited by Woodytom

Â