Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Laursen a headless chicken? You're off your rocker mate

So he didnt storm all over the place leaving gaps behind him.

Was it 96 games in 4 years - Hardly legendary status is it, that many give him. Decent - but not that great. Dunne was far far better in his first season.

Edited by Woodytom

well Matt Le Tissier never won a trophy or finished near 6th. would he not be a legend?

as can never predict the future but im sure if he stayed fit in 08/09 we would never have crumbled, am sure we were 2nd or 3rd wehn he got injured

Going off topic but I think there were many factors behind the 08/09 collapse, including tiredness and running out of steam as it was the same players being used over and over and MON not using the squad. In addition to this we needed to a striker to finish off the chances that were being created by young, milner etc.  MON bought Heskey. We also must factor in that Arsenal put in a very impressive run from March until May.

Anyway I hope defensive work is done in training over and over this week. I want to see a big improvement against West Ham.

Not there for 5 of the 6 games unbeaten up to Liverpool.

true, although he played about an hour in the Arsenal game. A more important absentee from this period is Bennett though imo. he got back to fitness just in time for the Chelsea game......

When Vlaar was out for weeks, people were saying as soon as he comes back, the defence will be better. Unfortunately that has not been the case. I think this is a scenario where a players reputation gets enhanced when he is no there. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

goals conceded in League games with/without Vlaar

with    : 29 goals in 16 games (goals conceded per game 1.81)

without:  20 goals in 9 games (goals conceded per game 2.22)

(before the injury this was 22 in 13 @ 1.69)

not that much in it! but hopefully I found some stats to back up my own point of view ;P

yes we've let in 7 in the last 3 games since his return but we'd let in 18 in the previous 5 league games without him. It may not be perfect but it has definitely improved since his return. the night and day/ying and yang of the Bradford results would also suggest as much. 

Yeah there is not much in it, pretty close. Not a huge improvement like some had thought or hoped. And as has been mentioned, he has been at fault for 5 goals since his return. He is average, but he is the best centre back at the club.

Not much no, but still an improvement. He like any player is not immune to criticism and when you make individual errors you will be singled out. I have no problem with that. I saw McGrath make mistakes in games. That didn't make him an average player. When he came back I hoped he would bring some stability and sort out the mess it had become in his absence. I didn't expect him to teach Clark and Bennett how to defend properly though. He is an asset and if we manage to stay up it will be because of him, not in spite of him. I dont remember a more composed defender in C&B on the ball in my lifetime. Wish he was a bit better at heading. Wish he paid more attention to the ball at set pieces sometimes. 

At 3mill and half Dunne's wages I think he's a bargain.

But it's OK!! we're allowed different opinions after all :D

• Like 1

Yep, kept saying it but people wouldnt accept it.

Hes as awful as the rest. truly believe that his kind words at the start of the season papered over his shocking performances. 

We always seem to have a well overated CB:

Mellberg really wasnt that good

Laursen was a headless chicken - sometimes good - sometimes woeful

Now Vlaar

As awful as the rest? Would Bennett/Clark/Lowton/Baker/Lichaj/Stephens seriously get in the Dutch squad?

Personally I think the good performances have papered over the occasional mistake but looking back through the thread I can see that would be a futile conversation for me to have with you so we shall agree to disagree!!

I sort of agree with the last bit though I would change it to this:

Mellberg wasn't Beckenbaur

Laursen wasn't Beckenbaur

Vlaar isn't Beckenbaur

People saying Laursen wasn't a legend for our club are demented, he was probably the best central defender we had since 'On the piss my Lord, on the piss'. Onto Vlaar, he has had to help out Clark the majority of this season, the reason I would rather see Baker alongside Vlaar and Clark at LB or DM. Hansen's analysis of Clark on MOTD just proved how out of depth the lad is, Anchiebe(?) had a **** fun day against him on Saturday

• Like 1

Laursen a headless chicken? You're off your rocker mate

So he didnt storm all over the place leaving gaps behind him.

Was it 96 games in 4 years - Hardly legendary status is it, that many give him. Decent - but not that great. Dunne was far far better in his first season.

Jesus Christ.

No wonder you think Vlaar is shit if you're that hard to please!

I'd eat my own balls to have Laursen in the team right now.

• Like 1

Laursen was a very very good player. Not perfect. Not world class. But bloody good. And guess what? A nice guy to boot. What’s not to like about Laursen. And frankly we have never had a player of his stature since. 

Anyway Vlaar; he’s generally what you get when you pay £3million for a central defender; you can find a few better for that money, but you have to be lucky. Not the best I ve seen, but certainly not the worse. 

The real problem is he’s one of the senior pros at the club, and responsible for holding it all together, which is a pretty impossible task...

Laursen was very, very good and also a leader and a likeable person. That stuff gets you acclaim, but also a bit of false reputation IMO. He was awesome at winning headers and scored a few goals, something we have lacked forever at Villa as far as I can remember. However, he was often chasing headers in territories he shouldn't go into, leaving huge gaps behind him if he lost that header. A bit like Nemanja Vidic in terms of tackling and heading, but without the positional awareness and risk management in his game. He exposed himself at the back, but he scored goals so he sort of made up for it.

Edited by Papillon
  • Like 1

Â