Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Good game today.

I presume Baker coming on ahead of Okore was purely to keep Ron on the right side of defence?

One right footed CB and one left footed CB is far more balanced so i'd imagine that was the reasoning behind the decision.

Wonder if him not commiting is due to the uncertainty of us staying up or better offers/pre-contract abroad, guess theres no way of knowing. Never been his biggest fan, thought he was a good defender but nothing special was excellent today though as i've previously said, his injury record is the main worry for me.

I just wonder why he seems to play better with Baker rather than Clark? I suppose it's all about partnerships, but it does baffle me.

they seem a bit like for like to me that could be the problem. 

You know where baker is going to be, clark tends to get involved in wrestling matches and gets drawn out of position leaving holes to be exploited.Needs discipline added to his game and maybe then he will not need those last ditch tackles. Paul macgrath never moved the ball came to him.

• Like 2

I just wonder why he seems to play better with Baker rather than Clark? I suppose it's all about partnerships, but it does baffle me.

It's obviously the telepathic beard connection.

• Like 2

Great show of pace also that people say it doesn't have, beating Kane and I forget the other player. Strong and quick. Big fan of Vlaar - just wish he didn't have as many niggling injuries.

Beat Chadli in a foot race, he's always been rapid to be fair.

• Like 1

Clark likes to lead, Baker likes to be led.

I've been thinking this could be one of the reasons. To me this means that when Clark has to follow another player's lead and do what he thinks the other player wants him to do, Clark gets nervous and undecided. He wants to please, and doesn't want to let the leader down. When things go wrong, panic hits him.

However, when Clark is the leader himself, he doesn't need to do things that he thinks the other CB would approve, which elevates his level of confidence. He can be himself. Therefore, his insecurity actually makes him a good leader.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

Â