General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Whilst I dont expect a great season I think we will be mid table. You have to remember how shite the likes of Southampton, Wigan etc are

It is time for the "kids" to stand up and be counted now though

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to watch the under nineteens last night and saw that the squad is pretty ordinary as we suspected, so I have very realistic expectations for them this season, ie. it's going to be a struggle.

On the other hand I've watched most of the first team squad a fair bit, and I believe that we've got more than enough quality to be getting on with. A number of our players are really talented and it's Lambert's job to gel this talent into a team.

Individually our squad has a lot more potential than the Norwich squad, and yet PL got Norwich playing really well at times last season. So why all the doom and gloom?

Potential should be measured in actual performance and if that is the case then Norwich out performed us last season.

I do not see a vast improvement in our squad from last year and there are still glaring deficiencies within our first team which need addressing quickly.

As it is, what if Bent is injured again? At some time even if he is free of injury this season, he will need resting. Do we have the confidence in our remaining forward line to score the required goals? Are we yet again going to rely on youth to bring us through a full season unscathed when clearly we need more experience within the spine of our team?

There is no doubt that potentially we have a better manager, yet can he perform adequately at our club where the expectation level is higher than at Norwich?

We desperately need quality reinforcements and i was hopeful that those players would have already been signed to give them time to acclimatize in pre-season as it should have been very obvious where our weaknesses lay. However i acknowledge that its not easy to get your targets when there are always other factors to consider but with our first game on Saturday our squad is still very short on the quality needed and at this moment in time i do not think Big Sam is sweating buckets in apprehension at playing against us.

You have a point about losing top players and not replacing them, but its not relevant to what I said.

Fair point, I was trying to show how we have fallen from top 6 to a (lower) mid table side. I'm not so sure the squad is in fact stronger, we are all assuming that the new signings are going to come in and have an immediate impact which would be marvelous but slightly unrealistic, dont get me wrong I hope they do. We've lost Petrov & Cuellar, who IMO have been replaced with KAE & Lowton, two players who we can have question marks over for the time being. While there's no doubting that a more positive approach will suit everybody, we have also sold Collins who could do a job if implemented in the right system that plays to his strengths, along with Heskey, I obviously was delighted to see the back of these players but we're still short on bodies. It's quiet clear that Hutton & Warnock arent apart of Lambert's plans so at this moment in time we have a wafer thin squad. Our only established Premiership players are Given (very poor Euros), Dunne (PL has been talking about Vlaar & Clark constantly doesnt look good for RD), Ireland, Bent, Gabby, N'Zogbia, that's 6 players. You could arguably throw in Clark as well although he has not played too many games at centre back in his 35 Premier League outings. As previously said the manager not the squad is the reason to be optimistic.

I'm worried about Saturday's game.. We will be going up against a newly promoted side with their tails up at home in their 1st game back in the Prem & facing a full onslaught Big Sam style with a brand new back four including a couple of players who have never played in the Prem before who have just conceded 6 goals in the last 2 games :?

:lol::lol:

Seriously though if we can avoid defeat i'll be delighted as these first 6 games with already injuries to Dunne, Gabby, Holman & Albrighton & all the new players gelling etc will be season defining for me. If we can somehow do well in these first 6 we could have a decent season... Do badly & it could be very ugly again.

Sounds like some squeaky bums going on in here, we are only a few hours away from the start of the season just enjoy it lads it's only a game.

If you can't enjoy it and don't feel excited about the season then what's the point in it all.

"Were gonna win the league, were gonna win the league"

Southampton aren't that bad and they're spending money - I think they'll be safe.

Agreed BOF and it could very well be that it is the likes of Southamption who we will be competing with this season to stay out of trouble if we make no further improvements to our squad?

Probably rubbish, but just noticed a few tweets in the Villa timeline on twitter.

VILLA _INSIDER‏@VILLA_INSIDER1

AVFC are also keeping strong tabs on Stefan Kießling of Bayer Leverkusen who is interested in a new challenge. Fenerbahce also keen. #AVFC

I am hearing that Aston Villa have now tabled a bid for Aaron Cresswell. #avfc

I know Lambert will improve the confidence, motivation and will set out to win games.

I still struggle to see how we're going to create the chances for Bent and like its been said I worry about what happens when for what ever reason Bent is not in the team.

At the moment Lambert has signed no attacking players and I think we're in desperate need for some.

I won't be surprised if at the start of the season we get whacked a couple of times (especially Newcastle away - can see another 4+ goals being conceded)

Our squad needs time to gel and we do need more signings to strengthen that squad.

I kind of hope we get hammered by the hammers because maybe then Lerner will realize we need to buy some more players. I understand that we are trying to cut the wage bill and Lambert doing that, but what if we buy first then sell? Right now we are getting no where because we are stuck trying to offload Hutton and Warnock. I fully believe they will be sold this transfer window but it could take a little while so maybe we can buy the players we need so we dont suffer till be sell those players. Plus a lot of players are coming off the market everyday.

Probably rubbish, but just noticed a few tweets in the Villa timeline on twitter.

AVFC are also keeping strong tabs on Stefan Kießling of Bayer Leverkusen who is interested in a new challenge. Fenerbahce also keen. #AVFC

I would jizz if we signed Kießling.... Fairly easy link though with Henke on board. Who's Villa_insider - reliable?

I think this is natural after the last 24 months of hell

People underestimate our players and overestimate the abilities of the Norwichs & Wigans of this world

Yes we're in for a choppy few weeks but were not that bad

Hmmm it was said about the fact WHU are going to be up for it know they are back.... What about our "feel good factor"

We will have cracking away support with a new reason to be enthusiastic about this season, we have a manager who the players want to play for and buy into his way of thinking, we have some good players in our team that I think will thrive under the new regime and well guys come one we are ASTON VILLA FC for McGrath's sake let's have a bit of optimism!!!

NEVER POKE A SLEEPING LION AS IT WILL BITE!

UTV!

I would jizz if we signed Kießling.... Fairly easy link though with Henke on board. Who's Villa_insider - reliable?

Haven't a clue.

Problem just another ITK bullshitter. Who knows.

The only two tweets the account has made though.

I am sick and tired of us being linked with youngsters that are being touted as 1st team regulars there is no doubt they will come good in the end but no premier league experience and that is worth its wasit in gold, earier on some stated that he was supsrised that lerner is running villa on the cheap. I have some facts

a back 4 of LOWTON VLAAR CLARK CRESWELL- This is shit total shit all 4 are untested, if lerner is skint sell the club because I assure you all mess about again regardless who the manager is and we will go down we are weaker than last year no doubt we have a good start first 8 games then october november we have big 4.

In my honest opinion Lambert should of had 90% of his signings in asap because we need a new direction time to bond and settle in Lambert stating he is happy to go with what he has is very Ginger dicked esq he said that if you remember last year he.

Lerner hasnt lerned his lesson at all he is trying to run us like a business get with the programme RANDY it wont wotk

I am sick and tired of us being linked with youngsters that are being touted as 1st team regulars there is no doubt they will come good in the end but no premier league experience and that is worth its wasit in gold, earier on some stated that he was supsrised that lerner is running villa on the cheap. I have some facts

a back 4 of LOWTON VLAAR CLARK CRESWELL- This is shit total shit all 4 are untested, if lerner is skint sell the club because I assure you all mess about again regardless who the manager is and we will go down we are weaker than last year no doubt we have a good start first 8 games then october november we have big 4.

In my honest opinion Lambert should of had 90% of his signings in asap because we need a new direction time to bond and settle in Lambert stating he is happy to go with what he has is very Ginger dicked esq he said that if you remember last year he.

Lerner hasnt lerned his lesson at all he is trying to run us like a business get with the programme RANDY it wont wotk

Please don't post on this board again until you have a basic grasp of the English language. Reading that post hurts.

Let it out mate. I dont blame you. I think Lambert is a great manager but I am starting to shit myself over our squad. Over reaction? Probably, but we are justified after the past two years.

Let it out mate. I dont blame you. I think Lambert is a great manager but I am starting to shit myself over our squad. Over reaction? Probably, but we are justified after the past two years.

Yes my friend im 1000% behind what you say I aint starting to shit myself I have done for the last 2 weeks, our squad is absolute garbage our starting 11 is ok. Lerner is a fool if he thinks we can survive again