General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Odds of 5-1 to go down suggests we are.
So what if we're 5-1 to go down? Odds don't mean anything. A lot of that is just based on last season when we had McLeish.

We are NOT relegation candidates. We WILL be absolutely fine this season.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what if we're 5-1 to go down? Odds don't mean anything. A lot of that is just based on last season when we had McLeish.

It means the rest of the footballing world think it is a possibility we could go down. I've spoke to fans of other clubs who think he same. Pundits are also saying we will struggle.

Obviously we know our club better than others and you are most likely right about us being fine but we are still candidates. You can't escape this fact mate.

I think there is every chance that we will have a comfortable season this year. Lambert is a fantastic manager and will do a good job. But it can't be ignored that given our squad a few injuries to the wrong players and we will struggle. Lamberts good but he's not going to get delfonsou scoring at the rate of Darren Bent.

I don't think anyone can guarantee we'll be fine just because we have lambert. There are circumstances that he won't be able to control.

i think one of the hardest tasks for lambert will be the moral, we have been taking quite a few punches the last couple of seasons.

And it might be worth noting that norwich went up a league each season, they would have been walking on clouds, i think the mindset of the players have alot of impact on how they play.

I disagree.

I don't think we should have to accept a net spend on the squad less than Dougs final summer. I don't see why that's acceptable at all.

well, if there are no players that doesnt suit his play style, or the ones that do are out of our price range, then what? just buy random player for the fun of it?

Im sure theres a underlying plan, which we dont know about.

I personally think the spending will come either later this window or in the next, i rather see them buying smartly and spending money where its needed, rather than blowing it just to have a higher net spend than a previous owner.

I don't believe that Lambert hasn't identified any players that he thinks could improve us.

I think given the go ahead Lambert would have had better replacements signed by now.[/quote]

Do you really ? I'm not so sure.

I remember the stick MON got being exactly the same, people complaining we hadn't bought players, but there is so much more to it than identifying them and RL putting some money up.

Any player we identify has a strong chance of having been spotted by others, or of their Agent alerting others, resulting in a poker type scenario for many.

There are certain things that would make us attractive to some, but there are other things that don't, and make other Clubs, or a players current Club, more appealing.

Without going into detail I'm sure if we thought about it there could many problems in getting players in. In my view that is one of the main reasons MON suddenly, that one summer, drastically overdid it with Warnock, Young, Beye, Dunne etc in terms of wages as the time was rolling on and that 'poker game' meant we were getting in danger of no-one.

If we are in a 'chain' it affects it, wages affect it, the Midlands does too, as does our last two years perfromance.

So I think it is only to be expected that in order to avoid over paying and/or bringing in poor second or third choices, we wait, and negotiate, and so on.

Let's look at it another way. Avram Grant relegated West Ham so he is a terrible manager and it's all his fault right? Yet the same manager was a penalty kick away from winning the champios league with Chelsea and lost out on the league by 3 points.

My point is although the manager makes a big difference it's still the same players at present. I think a bigger factor could be injuries. Although Mcleish was crap he really wasn't helped in this area. Before we lost Bent Dunne and Peteov we were pretty comfortable.

Let's just be positive about some good football and some goals. it will be an inconsistent season but this is a long term project it will take time to get us back up there.
Positive? On VT? Asking for too much I'm afraid.

I at least thought it would take a couple of games before the gloom returned to VT though.

It means the rest of the footballing world think it is a possibility we could go down. I've spoke to fans of other clubs who think he same. Pundits are also saying we will struggle.

Obviously we know our club better than others and you are most likely right about us being fine but we are still candidates. You can't escape this fact mate.

Again, so? The odds just reflect what the bookies think. As for pundits and other fans, what the hell do they know? We're more knowledgeable about than all of them. Most other fans believe we'll struggle this season because we struggled last season.

People complaining we haven't sold Warnock and Hutton yet need to think for a bit.

They will be very hard to sell. Even if, as the manager of a prospective buying club, you hadn't watched them play, you know you're buying an ageing and unwanted player from a relegation battle team who's on CL-chasing team wages.

Some of us can also be less objective or more biased.
What's that supposed to mean?

It means fans may tend to be over optimistic, wishful thinking, see potential in their players etc. whereas the outside world can judge us without emotion.

Of course this works the other way too with some fans becoming over pessimistic about the club.

Some of us can also be less objective or more biased.
What's that supposed to mean?

It means fans may tend to be over optimistic, wishful thinking, see potential in their players etc. whereas the outside world can judge us without emotion.

Of course this works the other way too with some fans becoming over pessimistic about the club.

Fans of other clubs don't tend to know the ins and outs of every other club. For example, a lot of opposition fans buy into the media bullshit and don't think McLeish is that bad and think he should've had more time here. Obviously that's bullshit but the point I'm making is that just becuase lots of opposition fans think we're relegation candidates doesn't mean we are.

Fair enough but then what if a lot of villa fans think we are relegation candidates? Maybe we should start a poll. I'm not saying we WILL get relegated I'm just saying it can not be completely ruled out. Which makes us candidates IMO.