Brett Holman

ozvillafan

yeah I htink he should play in the hole, especially away from home, ireland can be too much of a liability there for me. Bent up top, Holeman in the hole as his name suggests, then have Gabby and Charley boy out wide, although of course this weekend Gabby's spot could be Ireland but either way that is a decent enough front 4.

Still unsure of his best position but it's definetly good news he's fit for Saturday.

Having watched Australia play Scotland this past week, I think I got a good idea of where Holman is at his best. He was employed in a very attacking role just under the striker and every time the Socceroos attacked, it seemed it was Holman leading the attack and picking the ball up from midfield and bringing it forward. Very central minded, in a way I think his best position would be were alot of people ban on about putting Ireland, in the hole right beneath the striker with freedom to roam...and a license to thrill :winkold:

Do you think he's a better option than Ireland playing off the front man?

Still unsure of his best position but it's definetly good news he's fit for Saturday.

Having watched Australia play Scotland this past week, I think I got a good idea of where Holman is at his best. He was employed in a very attacking role just under the striker and every time the Socceroos attacked, it seemed it was Holman leading the attack and picking the ball up from midfield and bringing it forward. Very central minded, in a way I think his best position would be were alot of people ban on about putting Ireland, in the hole right beneath the striker with freedom to roam...and a license to thrill :winkold:

In that role, I'd go, Bannan, Ireland, Nzogbia then Holman - although it's close between all of them.

In that role, I'd go, Bannan, Ireland, Nzogbia then Holman - although it's close between all of them.

Hmmm....I would have to see more before saying on that. Personally, I think Holman does really well there for the Socceroos, hence he has potential at least, just depends on whether he can replicate that success in the Premiership. But I would say it is close among all those you mentioned...I would be more inclined to put N'Zogbia or Bannan there ahead of Ireland, just because I feel Ireland can contribute a bit more in terms of being an all around CM than Bannan or N'Zogbia playing as a wide midfielder.

I hope that Lambert isn't thinking of putting Gabby on the wing this season, haven't we suffered enough?

I hope he doesnt try this, Gabby is **** atrocious out wide

Lets hope he is the new Platt but lets at least wait until he has a few games under his belt first, it isn´t all that long ago our American posters were telling us that Bradley was the next.... oh I forget who now....

Another player written off after only having a few kicks of the ball here. A player that went on to have an excellent season last year and from that has now signed for Roma. Good example.

Actually it was a perfectly adequate example for the point I was making, unless Roma are now in the Premier League? Not my fault you missed the point.

The point was that a (several) Australian fans are I think overly confident about Holman´s ability based upon his performances in Holland and for their national side. Which is exactly the same as the views of American posters around the time Bradley arrived here which is why I used it as an example and why it is actually a good example. If you can´t see that, well that is your issue.

Whatever Bradley has gone on to do in Italy doesn´t change a thing, he still failed to impress in the Premier League. The Italian league just like the Dutch league is inferrior to the Premier League. The point I made about players coming from Holland could just as easily be made about players coming from Italy, that form in other leagues is simply no guarentee of performances in the Premier League. Although obviously the standard of the league in Italy is far higher than that in Holland.

As for Bradley I don´t see the point in getting into a debate again about him, it has been done to death and there really is nothing new to be added.

I'd put the Championship up against the Dutch league to be honest - other than the top two or three Dutch sides I think the Championship is stronger.

Also, while we're on it, Bradley couldn't cope with the pace of English football, he was awful here - poor in the first team and poor in the reserves - we did the right thing letting him go in my opinion.

Agreed

On Holman, I guess the truth is that at the moment we have no idea - he might be a real asset who takes to it like a duck to water or he might be the next Salifou - we'll find out over the next couple of months I suppose. He wouldn't be in my starting line up for West Ham.

Agreed again, I´m not saying he isn´t going to work out just that calling him the new Platt is at best premature.

I can see Holman becoming a popular player due to his industry, but from what I've seen he seems a little bit lacking in the technical ability department.

That said, I can see him popping up with quite a few goals from midfield, which has been a problem for us these last few years.

Lets hope he is the new Platt but lets at least wait until he has a few games under his belt first, it isn´t all that long ago our American posters were telling us that Bradley was the next.... oh I forget who now....

Another player written off after only having a few kicks of the ball here. A player that went on to have an excellent season last year and from that has now signed for Roma. Good example.

Actually it was a perfectly adequate example for the point I was making, unless Roma are now in the Premier League? Not my fault you missed the point.

The point was that a (several) Australian fans are I think overly confident about Holman´s ability based upon his performances in Holland and for their national side. Which is exactly the same as the views of American posters around the time Bradley arrived here which is why I used it as an example and why it is actually a good example. If you can´t see that, well that is your issue.

Whatever Bradley has gone on to do in Italy doesn´t change a thing, he still failed to impress in the Premier League. The Italian league just like the Dutch league is inferrior to the Premier League. The point I made about players coming from Holland could just as easily be made about players coming from Italy, that form in other leagues is simply no guarentee of performances in the Premier League. Although obviously the standard of the league in Italy is far higher than that in Holland.

As for Bradley I don´t see the point in getting into a debate again about him, it has been done to death and there really is nothing new to be added.

And yet you cant help but reply. It seems you missed my point also. But not to worry as you dont want to get in a debate about it.

Could he be Villa's answer to Dirk Kuyt? Unheralded, unloved but a grafter with a knack of scoring goals...

Lets hope so, I believe he will be a big success here IMO. like milner,but with more goals!

If Holman can perform at a Kuyt level i'll be more than happy, I still can't believe Liverpool let Kuyt go for £1m

Â