Brett Holman

ozvillafan

Strewth. Bloody pointless friendlies a few days before the season.

Well, the PL season starts in a few days, in other places the league starts in a few weeks or has already started... I guess England could've pulled out of this one but it's a big world outside the UK that frankly don't care when the PL season starts. (Ok they probably care, but it's not top of the FIFA & UEFA agenda)

Friendlies and other caps will always disturb the schedule for someone and in the eyes of Wenger and Sir Alex they should be scrapped althogether

I think calling him our 'New platt' is a bit premature..

Whys that? Because you have only seen a couple of pre season games with him in?

I've seen him play more than most on here as I've been watching him play for the Aussies for a few years now.

No, perhaps it is because until now he hasn´t actually played in a domestic league that is of a particularly high standard so it might be wise to hold the likening to a player like Platt a while longer.

The Dutch domestic league is not even in the top 3 leagues in Europe, perhps not even in the top 5. While there are some very decent sides in the league and certainly clubs with fantastic histories the reality is the league is a long way behind the Spanish, Italian, English, German in no particular order and some might argue the French in the current day.

While some players have moved from Holland to England and been a huge success there have been far higher profile players than Holman come and fail.

We will have to wait and see how he gets on starting on Saturday but to try and label him the new Platt before he has made his competitive debut is at best premature and at worst just a little daft.

Lets hope he is the new Platt but lets at least wait until he has a few games under his belt first, it isn´t all that long ago our American posters were telling us that Bradley was the next.... oh I forget who now....

Lets hope he is the new Platt but lets at least wait until he has a few games under his belt first, it isn´t all that long ago our American posters were telling us that Bradley was the next.... oh I forget who now....

Another player written off after only having a few kicks of the ball here. A player that went on to have an excellent season last year and from that has now signed for Roma. Good example.

Another player written off after only having a few kicks of the ball here. A player that went on to have an excellent season last year and from that has now signed for Roma. Good example.

Yeah Bradley is not a very good example, Trent. I still regret us not signing him on the very cheap.

The dutch Eredivisie is maybe not among the best leagues in Europe anymore, i'd say around 8th or 9th. But it's still wastly better than the Championship or League 1 from where people are suggesting we find our next players.

Holman might not go on to set the world on fire, but i have more faith in him then i'd have in some unproven 20-something year old lower league player.

I'd put the Championship up against the Dutch league to be honest - other than the top two or three Dutch sides I think the Championship is stronger.

Also, while we're on it, Bradley couldn't cope with the pace of English football, he was awful here - poor in the first team and poor in the reserves - we did the right thing letting him go in my opinion.

On Holman, I guess the truth is that at the moment we have no idea - he might be a real asset who takes to it like a duck to water or he might be the next Salifou - we'll find out over the next couple of months I suppose. He wouldn't be in my starting line up for West Ham.

I think calling him our 'New platt' is a bit premature..

Whys that? Because you have only seen a couple of pre season games with him in?

I've seen him play more than most on here as I've been watching him play for the Aussies for a few years now.

No, perhaps it is because until now he hasn´t actually played in a domestic league that is of a particularly high standard so it might be wise to hold the likening to a player like Platt a while longer.

The Dutch domestic league is not even in the top 3 leagues in Europe, perhps not even in the top 5. While there are some very decent sides in the league and certainly clubs with fantastic histories the reality is the league is a long way behind the Spanish, Italian, English, German in no particular order and some might argue the French in the current day.

While some players have moved from Holland to England and been a huge success there have been far higher profile players than Holman come and fail.

We will have to wait and see how he gets on starting on Saturday but to try and label him the new Platt before he has made his competitive debut is at best premature and at worst just a little daft.

To be honest, i haven't seen much of him playing in Holland, all the games i have seen him playing in are for the Aussie team, which admittedly has been against some poor teams, but has also played some decent ones and has looked consistent through out.

The comparison to Platt is that he gets up and down the pitch a lot and scores goals, which i think is all that Platt did?? Unless my memory is fading with old age...

Holman will also create goals too, which is different to Platt.

Here's a great article in one of the local papers over here today.

Shows that Holman is exactly the right type of player we need in the squad :)

Holman ready to embrace spotlight

Tom Smithies

The Daily Telegraph

August 17, 2012 12:00AM

Brett Holman

DON'T ask Brett Holman what he did in the off-season - not unless you can set some time aside for the answer. About the only thing it didn't include was a holiday.

But then vacations can wait, when the Premier League has come calling. That, and fatherhood for the second time. If Holman's hallmark on the pitch is his busyness, it's been equally true in the rest of his life thanks to his move to Aston Villa.

His actual debut in the Premier League may be - literally - on ice for a week or two, as he nurses a bruised leg courtesy of Scotland's Gary Caldwell in this week's Socceroos friendly, but Holman won't allow it to be a major obstacle.

Too much work has gone in over the past 10 years, not to mention the past couple of months. Having concluded a decade in Holland's Eredivisie, in several senses Holman is ready to carry the torch for Australians in the world's highest-profile league.

Herald Sun Digital Pass

"It has been a bit full-on these past few weeks, there's been times when I've hardly had a chance to think," he said. "We've had the birth of our second child, moving club, moving country, finding a new house, a new manager coming in at Villa, the club's pre-season tour to the States.

"But the trip to America was good in helping me to blend in with the team, and the boys seem to have accepted me pretty well."

His arrival at Villa was, he admits, nerve-wracking. Having signed a pre-contract deal with then Villa boss Alex McLeish in March, Holman watched in bemusement as McLeish was sacked within hours of the end of the season.

"It was a huge shock, I'm happy to admit that," Holman said. "When the guy who signs you suddenly leaves the club, of course you don't know where you stand at first.

"You wonder how the new manager (Paul Lambert) will react, whether you'll be in his plans, and it was pretty stressful when it happened.

"But one of the first things the new manager did was call me in for a good chat, very honest. He said there was no hiding the fact it was an unusual situation, he didn't sign me, but equally he said we're both new and we'll give it a crack.

"He basically told me that everyone started with a clean slate and chance to impress him, which was a big relief, and I've really thrown myself into it in pre-season. Hopefully I've done enough to earn a place in the starting XI."

In fact to a dispassionate observer, the arrival of Lambert was heaven-sent for a player whose combination of craft and graft dovetails perfectly with Lambert's aesthetic football. His Norwich side last season were pass masters, and he wants the same having succeeded McLeish at Villa.

"If there was one manager I'd have wanted to come in, it would have to be him," Holman said.

"The way he wants to play, the way he wants to train, the way he gets his ideas across all fit my style.

"In one way, what happened (with the change of coach) has actually helped me out. The training sessions that Paul Lambert and (assistant coach) Ian Culverhouse put on are pretty stimulating and the football is the right way."

All of which augurs well, but if Holman does find his feet and enjoy the Premier League stage, he knows the spotlight on him will only grow.

It's not a position he has been comfortable with for much of his career - but now age, experience and confidence mean the limelight needn't be a trial.

"You grow into it, and maybe sometimes it takes a while," he said.

"It's like you are as a player I guess, you become better (at dealing with the media attention) but it doesn't happen overnight.

"There's a gradual increase in your profile, the spotlight shines on you a bit more each time and eventually you get used to it. There's more to come, I know that, the Premier League is as big as it gets for being under scrutiny.

"But I'm more comfortable with it now, I'm older and if you feel a bit more appreciated it can make you a bit more confident."

Here

Big fan of his already, he is a very intelligent player who considers his movement and positioning.

I don't think he is a world beater but the role he has played in pre-season might give us a clue to his role in the team.

In a tactic he's clearly a team player and seems consistently available but as an individual helping his team he does two things I really like, one is screen opposition players from getting too close to players who get stuck for a pass and the other is making sudden runs when two players are playing patient one touch football; this draws the space from midfield and has allowed a few balls to be played to other players.

I like him, a lot, I wasn't sure at first but he seems like a great acquisition who goes about his job with calmness...even showing a good finish.

Still unsure of his best position but it's definetly good news he's fit for Saturday.

Having watched Australia play Scotland this past week, I think I got a good idea of where Holman is at his best. He was employed in a very attacking role just under the striker and every time the Socceroos attacked, it seemed it was Holman leading the attack and picking the ball up from midfield and bringing it forward. Very central minded, in a way I think his best position would be were alot of people ban on about putting Ireland, in the hole right beneath the striker with freedom to roam...and a license to thrill :winkold:

Â