Brett Holman

ozvillafan

I don't know if there is such thing as an Aussie mentality in this form of football because, to be honest, it has only been in the past decade or so that a majority of the Australian population has moved past the whole "shielas, wogs & poofters" attitude to people who play "soccer".

That said, I can pretty much guarantee that Holman will never:

- play like he doesn't give a shit about the team

- give up working his arse off, despite who, what, how the team is playing

- feign injury or remain rolling on the ground while play is going on around him

- behave in a petulant or arrogant manner

- deliberately dive or simulate to win a free kick or penalty

- bring the club into disrepute with his behaviour or comments on or off the pitch

Is that an Aussie mentality? Probably yes if you are thinking of a Mark Schwarzer or a Brett Emerton.

But when you apply those criteria to someone like a Tim Cahill or Harry Kewell then perhaps not.

And as for off-field behaviour, well Bozza's off-field indiscretions are pretty much stuff of legend, albeit not whilst at Villa, and even Herdy, whilst all of the above on the pitch, has been guilty of making a goose of himself off it.

Aussie mentality?

I have heard that expression a lot over the past few months since we signed him. Where does it come from? There is absolutely no difference between the mentality of a British, Australian, Norwegian or Brazilian footballer! What matters is the level of skill. Aussie mentality my ass.

I think you are blind if you can not see the difference between those nationalities. I am in no way saying Australians are superior but there is definitely an inbuilt drive to succeed within Australian sport even if we aren't the most skillful.

Aussie mentality?

I have heard that expression a lot over the past few months since we signed him. Where does it come from? There is absolutely no difference between the mentality of a British, Australian, Norwegian or Brazilian footballer! What matters is the level of skill. Aussie mentality my ass.

I think you are blind if you can not see the difference between those nationalities. I am in no way saying Australians are superior but there is definitely an inbuilt drive to succeed within Australian sport even if we aren't the most skillful.

:lol:

Aussie mentality, eh?

To put it bluntly, it's being the underdog. No task is too hard or odds too big that we won't give it absolutely everything.

You don't have to like the fact that it is mentioned in the original article and it's not something that is unique only to Australians (or even common amongst Australians), but that's what the author means.

MOTM against Philladelphia for me. Looks a very good purchase by McLeish! Very busy player, always looking to get on the ball and create something. Got bags of energy. Reminds me alot of Milner

Actually surprised a lot of people mentioned summat about his touch? I know its a friendly however he seems very composed on the ball and actually can pass the ball. Aso the other Aussie we have well the less said about him the better, he still can't pass, needs to be a squad player next season for sure.

Aso the other Aussie we have well the less said about him the better, he still can't pass, needs to be a squad player next season for sure.

Herd needs to realise he is not a youngster anymore. At 23, he needs to start taking his career seriously and not be kicking off in clubs, mouthing off on twitter or pretending he has made it.

Herd needs to realise he is not a youngster anymore. At 23, he needs to start taking his career seriously and not be kicking off in clubs, mouthing off on twitter or pretending he has made it.

This is maybe going a bit off topic but I fancy that applies to a number of our players who have come through the Academy. Bit of a drinking culture growing up over the past couple of seasons under weak managers.

I get the impression Lambert will want to stamp that out so maybe he sees a Holman providing a more stable, responsible role model.

Quite a lot of this is speculation and wishful thinking though. How do you stop young footballers these days being big headed and drunken?

To be fair to Herd this time last year most of us were convinced he was destined to be kicking around League 1 for most of his career. Far from the finished article but he still took a massive step up last season, so this year will be one of consolidation for him, and biding his time. I get the feeling that it will be Delph stepping up this season.

As for Holman - he has had a great start to the pre-season campaign but there is a long way to go. He is capable of the brilliant and the deplorable all within seconds of each other, so watch this space I suppose.

Aussie mentality?

Again, that to me is just übermensch drivel. Every athlete with respect for himself has an inner drive to succeed. The country has 22M inhabitants and should be doing quite well in every sport, but they certainly don't punch their weight in football do they (I know it's not the national sport btw). I would say the inner drive, if anything, comes from poverty and hardships during upbringing and that happens in South America and Africa - not Australia. I am sorry that I started this topic guys, I just found it interesting. All in all, every argument that has come up here can be said about pretty much every nation and every athlete in the world. Oh, and I do not have anything against the Aussies either - lovely country, awesome climate, sharks and kangaroos, koalas and the Opera house.

Culture has a huge part to play in sport. The Aussie life style suits a nation that excells at sport. Look at how many they are good at in relation to head of population.

An Aussie mentality exists.

I think countries and cultures have archetypal figures of sporting success within them - for a Brazilian this means they can be casual but exquisitely brilliant, effort does not equate to success; for Australians the whole process of grit and determination carries a higher weight than artistry.

It's how you're brought up, it's the people you look up to, it's the qualities that are somehow infused in your culture.

There are some things that are the same for sure, and year on year as the world gets smaller and we all become that little bit more the same - replicated little consumer units - the things that are the same get more and more important, but for now, we should celebrate German ruthlessness, Italian craft, South American flair, Australian grit and Portuguese cheating for what they are - part of the warm, rich tapestry of world football.

Australians just place higher value on sport than many other countries because we have a climate conducive to spending a large part of the year outdoors.

I previously said I was not excited one bit about this signing. I'm starting to change my mind after reading about his two pre season appearances. Hopefully he continues to perform in the same way once the season starts.

I'm still not sure he'll start much. I hear he's not a proper winger and I think Lambeth would prefer Ireland playing off bent.

I'm still not sure he'll start much. I hear he's not a proper winger and I think Lambeth would prefer Ireland playing off bent.

I believe Islington likes the idea of Bannan in the hole behind Gabby and Brent.

:P

Fixed. :winkold:

Ive been really impressed with him. Dont think he has masses of ability but he is always willing and always looking to make something happen. He is very good at finding space in between defence and midfield.

Â