Brett Holman

ozvillafan

Socceroos star Brett Holman says he is ready to emulate Mark Bosnich's success at Aston Villa

Brett Holman has set his sights on making his mark at Aston Villa with a combination of his Australian mentality and football skills developed in Holland.

Socceroos star Holman will link up with Villa next week when they report back for pre-season training after signing a pre-contract agreement in March while still a player with AZ Alkmaar.

The 28-year-old, who has won 53 caps for Australia, is hoping to emulate the success of countryman, goalkeeper Mark Bosnich, at the midlands Premier League club.

Holman told the Wolverhampton Express and Star: "The way they play in Holland is very technical and, mixed with an Aussie mentality, I think it is a great combination.

"Playing under Louis van Gaal (at Alkmaar) you learn a lot as a player and that has definitely rubbed off on me.

"I also know about what a good goalkeeper Mark Bosnich was for this club and he really made his name here.

"He gave Australians a good name at Villa Park and I hope I can make an impact as well."

Sydney-born Holman, who can also operate as a second striker, joined Feyenoord in 2002 before moving to Alkmaar four years later and was part of their 2008-2009 title winning team.

He was part of Australia's 2010 World Cup squad and scored in the group matches against Ghana and Serbia.

link

Do us proud, Brett :thumb:

Holman looks like a decent squad player to me, but from what I've seen he lacks the quality to command a regular first team place. I think people are little too optimistic about his potential. He is 27 and doesn't have much time to improve beyond his current level. I could say similar about El Ahamdi, although comes much more highly regarded. Lets not hype these guys up too much.

They both (like any new Villa signing) will receive my full support.

• 3 weeks later...
Holman looks like a decent squad player to me, but from what I've seen he lacks the quality to command a regular first team place. I think people are little too optimistic about his potential. He is 27 and doesn't have much time to improve beyond his current level. I could say similar about El Ahamdi, although comes much more highly regarded. Lets not hype these guys up too much.

I think Holman could prove you wrong. He's one that needs a challenge to shine, and that challenge was not to be found in Holland anymore. Like almost any Ozzie player I know, Brett is a perfect pro and works his ass off for the team. Great scoring ability as well. His goal v Burton was a typical one which I am sure your will see more often.

El Ahmadi may be an even more gifted player, I always found him a bit phlegmatic, playing in a can't-be-bothered kind of style.

Certainly not as good at finishing off as Holman.

I think Holman could prove you wrong. He's one that needs a challenge to shine, and that challenge was not to be found in Holland anymore. Like almost any Ozzie player I know, Brett is a perfect pro and works his ass off for the team. Great scoring ability as well. His goal v Burton was a typical one which I am sure your will see more often.

El Ahmadi may be an even more gifted player, I always found him a bit phlegmatic, playing in a can't-be-bothered kind of style.

Certainly not as good at finishing off as Holman.

It is a bit of a worry when I have to look up words posted by a guy writing in his second language :oops:

Aussie mentality?

I have heard that expression a lot over the past few months since we signed him. Where does it come from? There is absolutely no difference between the mentality of a British, Australian, Norwegian or Brazilian footballer! What matters is the level of skill. Aussie mentality my ass.

Aussie mentality?

I have heard that expression a lot over the past few months since we signed him. Where does it come from? There is absolutely no difference between the mentality of a British, Australian, Norwegian or Brazilian footballer! What matters is the level of skill. Aussie mentality my ass.

It means a good work ethic but without the flair.

Anyway, I think there would have been a lot more excitment about this player if it had been Lambert who had signed him.

Aussie mentality?

Never used the phrase.

I said: like any Ozzie player I know.

That's Brett Holman and Brett Emerton (ex-Rovers).

Aussie mentality?

Never used the phrase.

I said: like any Ozzie player I know.

That's Brett Holman and Brett Emerton (ex-Rovers).

No, you didn't use the phrase, it was in the article quoted in the original post (I was also confused by this).

Anyway, it sounds like the sort of term a politician would use to win votes by encouraging a collective patriotic pat on the back. I.e. it's meaningless bullshit. Whatever mentality Holman does have, it seems to be good at least.

Aussie mentality?

As if nationality/someone's entire upbringing doesn't have an effect on who they are and how they perform in whatever they do.

I believe in the Aussie mentality, even if there are still blatant similarities between all people, your heritage still has an effect.

The way I see it, surely skill is some potential developed within the combination of someone's upbringing and mentality.

Aussie mentality?

As if nationality/someone's entire upbringing doesn't have an effect on who they are and how they perform in whatever they do.

I believe in the Aussie mentality, even if there are still blatant similarities between all people, your heritage still has an effect.

The way I see it, surely skill is some potential developed within the combination of someone's upbringing and mentality.

Yeah yeah, I understand, but that goes for every child and person in every decent country doesn't it? I have heard the expression several times and not just on here, and I think it is stupid. There is nothing to suggest Aussies have a better mentality or approach than any other country in the world, but yet they say it themselves :oops:

was down in melbourne for the last couple of weeks, and spent an hour on sunday nights watching a docco called sporting nation, hosted by John Clarke, which examines the premise whether aussies outperform at sport, or simply believe they do.

very interesting, but I certainly believe that Australians are brought up with a winning mentality in sports, far more than their counterparts in say, england, and it is best seen in their athletes in national colours.

their rugby teams (both disciplines), hockey teams (men and women), footie team, rowers, swimmers, netballers, cadel etc all punch well above their weight in terms of the talent pool from which they have to select and the funding that those teams receive.

if you've ever played in aussie teams, they always play (and expect) to win, regardless of the odds.

One way I look at it is this -how confident am I ever in a match between england and australia (rugby, footie, cricket, tiddlywinks) that england will win and the answer is never quite sure, regardless of how it looks on paper...

aussie mentality in sport - absolutely... and bretty holman has it in spades....

(i'm not australian in case anyone is wondering)

Â