Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yep, that is pretty definitively that.

OR, he wasn't match/squad fit regardless of who we were playing.

Either way, yes, it would seem the "Blues Killer' is no longer one man.

A star is born in Jack Grealish.

And curtains are seemingly closed for my old friend Gabby.

Bit of a bitter taste to be honest but at the end of the day I'm a Villa fan.

Not a Cult of Gabby fan.

Hope he gets some kind of positive send off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blunther said:

Guess we won’t see him again then. No sentimentality here. He had talent of some sort and decided to leech off the club and be a fat bastard and try to show up once or twice a year. Can’t remember who gave him that last big contract but it was a mistake. Been a waste of space for years and attitudes like his were the cause of our demise. 

He has the sort of intellect that will piss away his wealth within a few years too, which will probably be a fitting end to the Gabby saga. 

Lambert gave it him after about 4 games into a season when we started well, no idea why he' be offered a 4 year deal at that stage of his career a truly awful decision. 

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The handing over of the torch.

This was most evident today.

Steve Bruce put him on the map for sure and bringing him off when he did for Villa Park to stand and appreciate shows he could infact be our next club captain.

It's all about Jack from here on in.

Thank you Gabby, enjoy your next career.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, thunderball said:

For me, I hope he doesn’t. All the BS about how he is Mr Villa. He was a poisonous influence in the dressing room when we needed unity. He sloped off on his £57k p.w. when we needed  character and grit in a season when we were relegated.

Thanks for the loyalty Gabby, to the club and fans who have given you everything you have. 

For me he goes down in the same chapter all the other billy big time leeches we have had here, not a hero. He could’ve moved on but was too comfortable, lazy and unambitious to play elsewhere.

Absolutely this - sentiments I have held for a very long time.

On 11/02/2018 at 22:53, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

OR, he wasn't match/squad fit regardless of who we were playing.

Either way, yes, it would seem the "Blues Killer' is no longer one man.

Bit of a bitter taste to be honest but at the end of the day I'm a Villa fan.

Not a Cult of Gabby fan.

Hope he gets some kind of positive send off.

We will always have the memories. We’ve gone head-to-head over Gabby, but that was more about me thinking his time was up. I also hope we give him the send off he deserves. :) 

• Like 1

On 12/02/2018 at 08:43, thunderball said:

For me, I hope he doesn’t. All the BS about how he is Mr Villa. He was a poisonous influence in the dressing room when we needed unity. He sloped off on his £57k p.w. when we needed  character and grit in a season when we were relegated.

Thanks for the loyalty Gabby, to the club and fans who have given you everything you have. 

For me he goes down in the same chapter all the other billy big time leeches we have had here, not a hero. He could’ve moved on but was too comfortable, lazy and unambitious to play elsewhere.

Yeah, I thought the same. Then I heard something different. It’s time to let bygones be bygones and say goodbye to him in a respectful way.

37 minutes ago, Dick said:

He looks after and protects the younger players.

Not sure how much of that I'm buying.  As club captain he set a shocking example.  Hippy crack, mid season pipe smoking holidays, little to no fitness, disruptive in the dressing room. Under his 'leadership' we lacked in moral fiber, in effort and in professionalism, all attributes that he was at the fore of demonstrating that they were not required at this club.  Looking after and protecting younger players is about more than saying the odd nice thing, it is about making sure that they make the most of the opportunities they have in-front of them.  The only way Gabby can do this now is as a cautionary tale of what not to do.  Look at the difference in the club now with John Terry as the leader.  He sets an example and the players around him are rising with him. 

I know correlation is not causation, but Jack Grealish had Gabby as the club captain and role model for most of his young career.  Gabby was a mid week, mid season party goer and so was Jack.  This season we bring in a bunch of seasoned pro's who can demonstrate the sacrifices that real success requires and Jack buckles down and starts to look the player we all hoped he would be.  You would have to be blind not to see the high esteem that JG holds JT in and how much that example has brought the best out in him.  I know there are many other contributing factors to JG and his improvement, but I suppose my point is that there is much more to protecting the young players than Gabby does and in many of them he is letting those young players and the club down, badly.

I've softened my stance on Gabby this season.  I have previously advocated paying off his contract and getting rid, just to prevent his influence.  I'm less worried about that now as he is no longer a leader in that group, he is off to one side, still there, but not wildly relevant to how the group operates. Yes he is still taking huge sums of money for very little, but for that I can only blame the club.  The contract was a silly one and tbh he would have been a fool to turn it down.

I'd even let him have a sentimental 10 minute run out at the end of the season to say goodbye (assuming automatic promotion has already been secured). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dick said:

We will always have the memories. We’ve gone head-to-head over Gabby, but that was more about me thinking his time was up. I also hope we give him the send off he deserves. :) 

I'm wondering what this send off might look like - remember when the club were in the hour of need?  I would also say this - in my opinion we are talking about a very limited professional footballer who just happened to be blessed with a blistering turn of pace - without which I question if he would have made the professional ranks - this again is just my opinion.

Aston Villa FC have been very good for him and given him a lifestyle that most can only dream of  - which brings me back to my original point - any send off imo should be about him offering a clear message of thanks to the many thousands who have showed unswerving support to him during his time at the club 

Â