Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

A little part of me will probably always think the club are as much to blame as gabby himself, we've had so many coaches / managers change his position his weight his role, the value of his wages, the club captain nonsense...i think all of it has contributed to his disinterest in football

The biggest problem is that disinterest was there for everyone to see

• Like 1

The relegation season left a sour taste for me. He's supposed to Villa through and through, and to me showed no desire and fight, when we needed someone to lead and show the others exactly what being Villa is all about. He's no Messi and his pace may have dropped over the years, but there has been the odd occasion in the past few seasons where he's looked useful and contributed alot to the team. Albeit in small flashes here and there. It's a shame because on his day he was brilliant. I will wish him luck in whatever he does next and he does deserve a good sendoff in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Wherever he goes, I hope he actually tries to prove himself and not just collect some more paychecks before he retires. 

Yeah, no.

All he's been doing here for the last 3 or 4 years is collecting paychecks so there is no way he's going to got to Qatar or somewhere similar and suddenly start acting like a professional.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's amazing he's only 31, really. He's done nothing for 4-5 years. Wasted what could have been the best years of his career.

I'll never remember him for the goals. I'll remember him for being too out of shape to play then going out on the piss hours after we were relegated.

I wouldn't want any kind of official send off for him, especially during the last home game. That day should be about the lads who've been working their arse off throughout the course of the season, not some bloke who's sat in the stands.

giphy.webp

Was always a limited player but for a few years did really well. Linking up with young Milner and Carew were some the best we’ve had at villa for a good many a year.

He started his decline when Houllier came in. Houllier told him to slim down and go back to just being a speed merchant. Gabby disagreed and tried to bulk up more. I don’t think he’s done a full season since. His body wasn’t built for that. 

It’s a shame he’s tarnished his reputation the last few years, but even despite all that I wish him well.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Question is should he get a testimonial?

He probably wont but maybe a send off before last home game of season or at half time will be enough

I think he would get a good reception as well judging by his cameo sub appearances in last 18 months. Also fitting his last goal was vs Blues

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's amazing he's only 31, really. He's done nothing for 4-5 years. Wasted what could have been the best years of his career.

I'll never remember him for the goals. I'll remember him for being too out of shape to play then going out on the piss hours after we were relegated.

I wouldn't want any kind of official send off for him, especially during the last home game. That day should be about the lads who've been working their arse off throughout the course of the season, not some bloke who's sat in the stands.

The Irony is the fact that he had alot more good years, and did alot more good for the club, than actual bad.

To put his whole Villa career down to "some bloke who is sat in the stands" is laughable.

Whether or not you love or hate him based on the past few years the FACTS don't change.

I guess Onomah deserves more of a lap of honor applause since he has been "involved" this season.

Compared to a player who has come through the youth system, was an integral part of our most successful team in recent times and is our record Premier League goalscorer, and longest serving player.

Some true short sighted bollox people come out with.

But that's none of my business. lol

Save all the inevitable bollox for that Agbonlahor hate cult.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He probably wont but maybe a send off before last home game of season or at half time will be enough

I think he would get a good reception as well judging by his cameo sub appearances in last 18 months. Also fitting his last goal was vs Blues

It would have been fitting, but he scored against Hull in the first game of this season.

Last goal in front of the Holte, let’s say that ;)

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

It would have been fitting, but he scored against Hull in the first game of this season.

Last goal in front of the Holte, let’s say that ;)

:lol::lol: Last goal i remember him scoring then ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To put his whole Villa career down to "some bloke who is sat in the stands" is laughable.

I didn't. I put his contribution this season down to "some bloke who sat in the stands", and that's what the last day of the season will be about, this season.

We'll hopefully be cheering on the lads that have got us in to the play offs, taking attention away from them for a guy that's hardly played? Nah.

and is our record Premier League goalscorer, and longest serving player.

Because nobody ever wanted to buy him, and fools kept giving him new contracts. Our record holding goalscorer averaged 7 goals a season. Benteke he ain't.

Some true short sighted bollox people come out with.

Save all the inevitable bollox for that Agbonlahor hate cult.

Grow up.

Edited by Davkaus

He has been shite since O’Neill left bar one middling season and it wasn’t like he was a 20+ goals a year striker under O’Neill either. His very best season he scored 16 goals (that’s including cup games). So that’s 4 years of above averageness and then 8 years of blandness and laziness in which he’s scored about 30 goals.

Look at Benteke in just those same 8 years since 2010 and he’s scored 120. 

Look at Lukaku with 150

Hell even an average journeyman like Shane Long has managed 74 goals in those 8 years

Peter Crouch in the same last 8 years has scored 69 goals

A nearly forgotten player like Wayne Routledge - a winger - has only scored 2 or 3 less goals than Gabby in the same 8 years. 

Even Leighton Baines who plays as a **** left back ffs has scored more goals than Agbonlahor in the last 8 years. Not the last 1 or 2 years where we’ve really started to dislike him but 8 years! That’s nearly a decade. 

Thats why he shouldn’t get a testimonial, that’s why he shouldn’t be regarded a club legend and that’s why he should have left this club or been sacked years ago. Leighton Baines has scored more goals as a left back in the last 8 years than professional striker Gabby.

Embarrassing. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

Gabby had promise and did well for us for a brief time. He became a thorn in Small Heath's side with his habit of scoring goals against them. His wages shot up when we looked to protect our asset but his performances steadily became worse at a time when we all hoped they would get better or at least stay at their then level. The money seemed to become far more important to him than the football and the way he used it did a lot to make him what he has become today. The money has kept coming and he has done increasingly less on the pitch to earn it. He will leave the club a shadow of the player he might have been but he will leave it a rich man if not anywhere near being a club legend. Bothered? I very much doubt that he will be.:(

• Like 2

74 goals in 322 games is an awful record. i cannot wait for him to leave this club, even when he was at his best he was only ever a slightly above average striker who had blistering pace but he was in a fantastic squad which made him look better than he actually was. 

20 hours ago, villa4europe said:

A little part of me will probably always think the club are as much to blame as gabby himself, we've had so many coaches / managers change his position his weight his role, the value of his wages, the club captain nonsense...i think all of it has contributed to his disinterest in football

The biggest problem is that disinterest was there for everyone to see

And i would suspect everyone of them was trying to get a spark of life out of him.....I would suggest they was the victim, not the other way around.

Their perseverance was probably borne out of what he done in the past.....hence their feeling of responsibility to get him to play.

damp squib.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

74 goals in 322 games is an awful record. i cannot wait for him to leave this club, even when he was at his best he was only ever a slightly above average striker who had blistering pace but he was in a fantastic squad which made him look better than he actually was. 

i would have said he was on the right hand side of a front 3 my self...

like i said before a massive part of his problem is his position and how our different managers have used him, MON on the counter had Gabby in the england team, he's not good enough to build your team around him and he's also not good enough to prevent even slight tweaks to his position stopping him from being ineffective, he's not a proper out and out striker, he's not a winger, he's had the same issue as walcott but walcott got away with it for years because he was in a better team with a better manager (and will now slide in to obscurity in the same way gabby did)

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

And i would suspect everyone of them was trying to get a spark of life out of him.....I would suggest they was the victim, not the other way around.

i dont know, whoever it was under houllier that told him to bulk up should shoulder some of the blame (i wondered at the time if GH had seen what happened to owen with his pace and sharpness and then knee injuries and told him he needs more to his game than just speed) id then say a similar thing is currently happening to micah richards where he's not in the squad, he's not training but he's hanging around BMH and someone is saying to him just disappear over there and put a day in on the weights and collect your money and micah now looks the size of akinfenwa 

we'll never know who's decision it was but gabbys size has been his downfall IMO

Â