Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Farlz said:

C9Z1xhkVwAAoZDX.png:small

:bang:

I get Bruce's point though. We all know we can't have a rebuild of the squad. 3 quality additions and for me we need Gk, CB, CM then throw in a couple of younger signing not guaranteed first teamers (like Bedeau). Therefore we may as well utilise Gabby as back up striker. Hogan and Kodj will be starters, RHM and Davis coming through and then Gabby after that.

• Like 2

He played pretty well against Preston before his injury. He'd be a crap week-to-week starter, but I don't think he's an awful squad option in this league. Should be coming off the bench in very particular circumstances though, I don't want him starting many games. 

10 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

We're looking to rely on a striker that doesn't score goals. 

Not sure anyone said we're relying on him? 

Just getting him fit to give us another option (option 8 or 9 I guess).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Very expensive 'back up' at this level, no thanks, has to go this summer.

We tried to get rid last summer and he wouldn't go. So I can't imagine he'll go this year either, so we may as well utilise him.

58 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Very expensive 'back up' at this level, no thanks, has to go this summer.

I agree with the sentiment, but Bruce seems to like the bloke, Gabby won't take a pay cut, and there isn't another team in world football that would match his salary here.

We are stuck with him until his contract runs out. 

Bruce has to talk him up in case he has to use him again like we did earlier this season. 

He will not find any club anywhere who will get near to his wages.  He will be here till his contract expires. 

It makes sense to reassure him and keep him onside incase God forbid we do need him again rather than the bomb squad thing, which makes no sense and might even make a player more bloody minded so see out a contract to extract some form of revenge rather than take another option elsewhere. 

That said I would hope with just 1 year left on his contract,  next season he would consider going on loan somewhere which puts him in a shop window and alleviates us of some of his wages.

I think he will just retire though when his contract is up to be honest so he's probably not interested in that. 

I'll just have to accept that he'll be leaching another couple of millions from the club next season.

But it makes it easier to cope with if I don't have to see him anywhere near the match squad.

Then I can block him out and pretend he doesn't exist.

• Like 1

Nothing to worry about. He's not getting in over our top scorer or Bruce's big signing unless both are injured, and he's probably as good as any other back up striker we could sign to do that role. yeah he's on a big wage, but that's not any of our concern anymore.

Â