Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

On 30/07/2016 at 10:48, VillaChris said:

Di Matteo wants to use him I think so this thread still has another 100 pages to run I reckon.

Anyone fancy doing a charity bet on which page this thread will be on when he finally leaves, I'll go 555.

Edited by VillaBrum

7 hours ago, villa_southerner said:

Possibly to a degree but the main reason is he is a big personality within the team and they don't want that around the first team.

If that's true then I'm not sure how I feel about it.  You've got a disruptive player in the squad,  isolating them surely making them further disruptive?  

Im sure all the players will know each other outside of training,  if Gabby is such a big personality then you'd have to imagine he's a liked person within the group?  

I dunno,  reminds me of bomb squad which I weren't a fan of tbh... 

19 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If that's true then I'm not sure how I feel about it.  You've got a disruptive player in the squad,  isolating them surely making them further disruptive?  

Im sure all the players will know each other outside of training,  if Gabby is such a big personality then you'd have to imagine he's a liked person within the group?  

I dunno,  reminds me of bomb squad which I weren't a fan of tbh... 

As long as he is as far away from a starting place as possible  I really couldn't care less to be perfectly honest with you.

9 hours ago, Designer1 said:

He's only got one person to blame and that's himself.

He's always been a limited footballer but at least when he was motivated he offered something. The last couple of seasons he's just been a disruptive waste of a shirt.

I think he'll look back in the future and realise he should have done more.

I don't wish to be spiteful to him, but i have never rated him but appreciate he was better years ago than now.

.....but. I really do wonder why it has taken this long for the penny to drop with all of us ....club, managers and fans.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't wish to be spiteful to him, but i have never rated him but appreciate he was better years ago than now.

.....but. I really do wonder why it has taken this long for the penny to drop with all of us ....club, managers and fans.

I think to an extent you trust that the people who pay him £50k a week and run multi million pound businesses to know what they are doing. Unfortunately his first team career has been covered by alot of the Lerner tenure and so football people we had not. So he continued to be paid and recognised as valuable. 

Time also moves fast so when he had his last good season in 2010 at 23 there was probably always that thought that he might still be capable and the glimer of hope he could rediscover that menace. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wow. 

I'm not shocked, but I am surprised. He at least appeared, superficially, to be motivated. 

Hopefully he get's the message now and will look for a move. Either way if this is the case and I've no reason to doubt VS, then he needs to be gone. 

Edit - Or have we got this wrong, is he training with the reserves as he has missed most of pre-season?

sure he must have had about 3 mini pre-seasons to get fit during last season. Im sure Garde and Black both had him on special fitness program at stages

He has 2 years left on his massive contract. We going to have to sub a lot of his wages and hope that some Australian/Chinese/Indian club will be stupid enough to take him on loan. No sane club in England will want to buy him. Chances he will be with us until at least January I think.

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

He has 2 years left on his massive contract. We going to have to sub a lot of his wages and hope that some Australian/Chinese/Indian club will be stupid enough to take him on loan. No sane club in England will want to buy him. Chances he will be with us until at least January I think.

Even if that was an option I don't think Gabby would take it. With the exception of his 8 games at Sheff Wed and 2 at Watford he has lived in Brum his whole life. 

He has a complex family life but seems committed to his kids so I can't see him going to China/Australia or the Middle East.

None of the local clubs will touch him so I think we are stuck with him.

He has 2 years left on his deal so that's in excess of £6m owed to him, he isn't walking away from that and I don't see us paying it off.

So unless he gives them sufficient cause to sack him we are stuck with him.

• Like 1

Is there any way possible that Gabby could be an asset to us on the pitch this year ?. Be it a change in attitude from him, massive weight loss, him giving 20 grand a week wage to charity etc............ The only reason i ask is, it is pretty clear he is here to stay, so can we make any positive out of this situation whatsoever so it doesnt disrupt the team 1 little bit. 

9 minutes ago, settle villa said:

Is there any way possible that Gabby could be an asset to us on the pitch this year ?. Be it a change in attitude from him, massive weight loss, him giving 20 grand a week wage to charity etc............ The only reason i ask is, it is pretty clear he is here to stay, so can we make any positive out of this situation whatsoever so it doesnt disrupt the team 1 little bit. 

It's the weight loss thing for me. He's not exactly fat but his one excellent attribute (speed) has diminished significantly since he "bulked" up meaning he's nothing more than a League One striker at best.

38 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

McCormack, Ayew, Gestede - Then a few of the younger guys to rotate in and out.

There isn't space for Gabby.

If we keep Ayew

20 minutes ago, settle villa said:

The only way I see him playing any part is when Ayew and Gestede are at ACN. Plus it's a long old season, so attrition and injuries may see him take to the bench at times but otherwise I don't see him anywhere near the first team.

Â