Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

With the state of our current squad Gabby has to play for me. He's incredibly unpredictable when he wants to be. Half the time I don't think he knows what he's doing. When he's out with injury we really miss him. He had a bad game yesterday, a player of his ability will have good and bad games and it#s been that way his whole career. However, he needs to start as he has the ability to play out his skin (Liverpool game).

What I've never understood though, when we're defending a corner/free kick, why don't we put Gabby on the half way line? If Guzan catches the ball he could just hoof it and Gabby can chase, no one will catch up with him. 

• Like 1

I think Gabby is a lazy player, and if hes on £50k a week, then imho hes not worth it.

You look at his game yday, his movement off the ball, touch, pass choice was all poor, when Albrighton came on for him, could you see Gabby picking Delph out like Albrighton did?....not for me.

Hes a Villa fan, and fair play to him for that, but, for me hes not doing it, and hasn't been for a couple of years now.With all his ability he should be Englands CF, his lack of concentration, and attitude means hes not.

Get a good striker in the summer to play off CB, and a good midfielder, we should improve rapidly.

Crazy to say that gabby couldn't of picked delph out, have you seen some of his assists this season?

Albirghton really hasn't done a lot and is playing for a contract, why change what's working well?

Well, Gabby has the most assists this season for us with 5 (6 if you include the one in the League Cup and that also doesn't include the 2 penalties he won at the Emirates on the first day of the season). 

Interesting point about Gabby though is that all of those assists came away from home (apart from the League Cup assist).  If you look at WhoScored ratings (which I admit are only an indicator but still useful for making this point) his match ratings away from home are markedly better than at home.  

(and before anyone says it, that is not indicative of the team as a whole - our total home points now matches our away points after yesterday)

Edited by TheRivieraKid

Fair enough........2 goals though LR.

If he played every week like he did against Lplop, then i would have him in the team every week. but as PieFacE said, we haven't got much option.Swap him for a Rodriguez, or Sturridge though, and we could have had them when they moved, or a Remy, and we would be further up the table imho.

• Like 1

What I've never understood though, when we're defending a corner/free kick, why don't we put Gabby on the half way line? If Guzan catches the ball he could just hoof it and Gabby can chase, no one will catch up with him. 

Exactly what I've been thinking for a long time now. He's useless when it comes to defending corners, so why not put him a couple of yards off the halfway line. When Guzan catches he can start his run and all Guzan has to do is hoof it. 

He's actually a pretty average player. Without his pace he wouldn't have much to offer. His first touch is woeful , doesn't make many intelligent runs, one on one he is the worst I have ever seen. Simply being a Villa fan is not enough. . He came off yesterday, and the player who replaced him was more effective and laid on the winner. Sentimentality is fine, but it needs to be balanced by a sense of realism. In my opinion , with a few isolated performances scattered over the last few seasons, he has been in a slow decline. Others may disagree, fine.I've never been one to have my opinion of a player clouded by sentimentality.

I don't get the Gabby hate. He is an engine on the team and has been the only player to consistently give shit. He may disappear at times but he's never listless. And hes always good for a few good defensive track backs a game.

It's a sad day when we judge our attackers simply by how well they track back.
Not really, it just means we're playing a different way. Do you think Pep's Barcelona would have been as good if their attackers didn't put a shift in defensively.

Without his pace he wouldn't have much to offer. 

You could say about any number of players; take away their key asset and they become rather less. 

Gabby isn’t a great player, but he’s a good player for Villa. When we are in the top six we might think about options, but until then he’s a key player. 

• Like 2

I don't get the Gabby hate. He is an engine on the team and has been the only player to consistently give shit. He may disappear at times but he's never listless. And hes always good for a few good defensive track backs a game.

It's a sad day when we judge our attackers simply by how well they track back.
Not really, it just means we're playing a different way. Do you think Pep's Barcelona would have been as good if their attackers didn't put a shift in defensively.

That doesn't really follow. Firstly Barcelona's forwards press high, not the same as 'putting in a shift defensively' and they were great due to what they actually contributed offensively.

You could say about any number of players; take away their key asset and they become rather less.

Gabby isn’t a great player, but he’s a good player for Villa. When we are in the top six we might think about options, but until then he’s a key player.

Was going to say, why take away his best asset and say he doesn't have much to offer.

I wouldn't focus too much on Albrighton making a 12 yard pass, gabby obviously couldn't of done this.

Gabby isn't the worst you've ever seen one on one, come off it that's a silly statement. Yes he misses a few when through on goal but his three this season have all been composed finishes when through on the keeper.

Three...says it all. 50 years watching Villa, and he is most definitely the worst I have seen one on one. Watched Sturridge for Liverpool today, a player with pace and a footballing brain. He's a Villa fan too. If only Liverpool would do a swap.

Gabby is very much a strength, not a weakness as far I'm concerned. No sentimentality, no fan playing for the club gubbins, he's quick, he's good in the air, he can hold the ball up, he can change games and he can finish with both feet - he's inconsistent, yes - but bad Gabby is in the team on merit, and on a good day he's the best we have. I don't want him to leave because he's one of our best players. Simple as that for me.

Agreed, I think he's one of our best players and one his day has the potential the change games single-handedly. Just look at the difference it made to the team when he came off injured against Liverpool and when he came on against West Brom.

But even then, could it be that the reason Gabby struggles at times is because the team around him is poor? When we were regularly finishing top 6 he was one of the first names on the team sheet and playing well, scoring goals. 

But he never even consistantly played well under MON. He usually started well then burned out (as did the team) for the second-half of the season. I still can't name one season where he performed well from the start to the finish.

Edited by Isa

Â