Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

He's never really been good at reading the game anyway so a better midfield wouldn't make that much of a difference to him. He just doesn't make the right runs most of the time.

A better midfield would make a huge difference, we have the wost midfield in the league by miles

What does it help that we try to play to his strenghts, but can't?

When was he last set free with an on ground quick pass behind the defense?

When did hoofing it up to Benteke to hold and feed Gabby last work?

I agree that on paper counter attacking suits Gabby, and sometimes we succeed in it. Just way too seldom.

I don't want Gabby to go, on the contrary. I want a better midfield.

Throwing Bent out there was a bit controversial, I admit. :)

Dunno the answer to most of this, but I was there when Gabby got put clean through by Andy W against West Ham and Gabby shinned his first touch 30 yards away for a goal kick.  A very good and fast break that was and shows the best and worst of Gabby in one move.  He is the only lad in the team with the speed an heart to get into the position he received the ball in.  Sadly controlling a ball pinged in at pace whilst running at full tilt is a difficult task even at the top level and there was an air of inevitability when bounced off him like he is made of angles and springs.  Still love him to bits and if he is fit he is one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

When we started the game with something like 15 consecutive long balls to Benteke where he won the flick on every time and Gabby didnt get on the end of one I was really fearing the worst.

Out of interest has that tactic worked at all yet?

However we definitely seemed to switch it and Gabby started mixing it up and coming deeper to get the ball. Made such a big different because he is such a threat when running at people. So important to get him on the ball because if we just have him off the last man we leave one of our best players out of the game entirely (see West Ham at home).

Gabby really is the symbol of our team. Along with Weimann and Benteke they are all dynamic but occassionally (sometmes often) woeful in terms of close control and passing. However when it clicks as for the third goal it really is devastating.

third goal was a counter-attack which we could employ since were already 2-1 up.

problem usually getting to the 2-1 up position at home with Gabby in the team, because he contributes almost nothing to a possession based attack.

the first two goals were Benteke's doing, plus a great whipped corner kick from Westwood.

Yeah agreed on third goal.

However he started dropping a bit deeper to come lookng for the ball when we were 1-0 down which I was pleased to see.

I agree that his effect is limited when the space is narrowed but he is still capable of beating a man and so that trumps just relying on flick ons which as I said I am struggling to remember that ever working this season.

Is it me or did he not look very bothered when Benteke scored his goals? They were quality, and very important, but he didn't seem too happy. Could be any number of reasons behind it, maybe he was just in bad form personally, but I thought it was strange.

Is it me or did he not look very bothered when Benteke scored his goals? They were quality, and very important, but he didn't seem too happy. Could be any number of reasons behind it, maybe he was just in bad form personally, but I thought it was strange.

Every single goal.  He celebrated none of them.  Similarly Baker after Benteke's header - nothing at all.

Aren't these actual fans of the club too?  Should I be worried?!

He looked less interested in the fourth goal considering he was right on top of it.  He just lay there while everybody congratulated Delph.

I thought it was nice the way he offered his sympathy to Bassong though.

Come on, why read too much into things in terms of celebrating a goal? Sometimes these guys are just exhausted and relieved when they are playing and winning. Scoring 4-1 means you are going to win the game and you sometimes feel sorry for the other team, or just shocked things are going too well. Besides, if the score was 0-0 and we scored in the 94th minute you know he would have celebrated like a maniac. Nothing to see here :)

• Like 4

Come on, why read too much into things in terms of celebrating a goal? Sometimes these guys are just exhausted and relieved when they are playing and winning. Scoring 4-1 means you are going to win the game and you sometimes feel sorry for the other team, or just shocked things are going too well. Besides, if the score was 0-0 and we scored in the 94th minute you know he would have celebrated like a maniac. Nothing to see here :)

Well we were down 1-0 at home in a vital game when his teammate scored our goal of the season. And it was 20 something minutes in so he was hardly jaded. I can understand him not celebrating the 4th, in fact he should be commended for NOT celebrating and for picking up Bassong, but I can't understand him being anything other than delighted about our first two goals.

I just found it weird.

edit: Gabby didn't pick him up but he did console him. 

Edited by Ooh-Ah

Â