Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Aston Villa to offer Gabriel Agbonlahor four-year deal Striker poised to commit to club, who will also look to tie down Fabian Delph and captain Ron Vlaar
agbon_2863890b.jpg
New deal: Gabriel Agbonlahor has one year left on his contract but is poised to begin negotiations with the hierarchy when the season finishes Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Gabriel Agbonlahor will be offered a new four-year deal this summer and the chance to remain at Aston Villa for the rest of his career.

Villa will discuss a contract extension with Agbonlahor at the end of the season that will ensure the club’s record Premier League scorer will be signed up into his 30s.

Agbonlahor, 27, joined the club as a youngster before making his debut in 2006 and is ready to commit his future to Paul Lambert’s team. The longest serving player on Villa’s books has one year left on his deal but is poised to begin negotiations with the hierarchy when the season finishes.

Fabian Delph and captain Ron Vlaar are also poised to sign new contracts as Villa move to tie down the majority of their squad for the long-term.

Lambert is still in discussions over his own future and is expected to sign an extension before the end of the season as Villa seek stability. Villa were thrashed 4-1 at home by Stoke City and face Manchester United this weekend but are on course to avoid being sucked into a relegation battle

he's on around 60k a week on his present deal! so another 4 years on around the same is £12.5million just on wages.

Is he worth anything like that?

I feel if we want get further in future then players like Gabby need to be more consistent...on be replaced.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

Aston Villa to offer Gabriel Agbonlahor four-year deal Striker poised to commit to club, who will also look to tie down Fabian Delph and captain Ron Vlaar
agbon_2863890b.jpg
New deal: Gabriel Agbonlahor has one year left on his contract but is poised to begin negotiations with the hierarchy when the season finishes Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Gabriel Agbonlahor will be offered a new four-year deal this summer and the chance to remain at Aston Villa for the rest of his career.

Villa will discuss a contract extension with Agbonlahor at the end of the season that will ensure the club’s record Premier League scorer will be signed up into his 30s.

Agbonlahor, 27, joined the club as a youngster before making his debut in 2006 and is ready to commit his future to Paul Lambert’s team. The longest serving player on Villa’s books has one year left on his deal but is poised to begin negotiations with the hierarchy when the season finishes.

Fabian Delph and captain Ron Vlaar are also poised to sign new contracts as Villa move to tie down the majority of their squad for the long-term.

Lambert is still in discussions over his own future and is expected to sign an extension before the end of the season as Villa seek stability. Villa were thrashed 4-1 at home by Stoke City and face Manchester United this weekend but are on course to avoid being sucked into a relegation battle

he's on around 60k a week on his present deal! so another 4 years on around the same is £12.5million just on wages.

I feel if we want get further in future then players like Gabby need to be more consistent...on be replaced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0BMLuRD-k0

Some of us don't have short memories.

agbon_2863890b.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0BMLuRD-k0

Some of us don't have short memories.

He has an annual 6/7 good games a season, and doesn't do much at all in the other games, is that really worth another 4 years at 60k a week? The video you posted was over 4+ years ago, which is irrelevant now, he is just not consistent enough these days.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

I thought we were supposed to be heading in a more financially astute and better value-for-money direction regarding contracts. This completely flies in the face of that.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

I've always got the impression that Lambert likes big personalities. Vlaar, Guzan, etc. Look at Ireland and N'Zogbia. Lambert has said that he thought both were decent players. But they generally came across as moody and lacking passion.

Gabby, as a local lad with a certain affinity with the fans, probably has a positive effect on the rest of the team. Whatever you think of him he really does care about Villa, IMO.

For this reason I reckon Lambert would see him as worth the new contract.

• Like 2

I've always got the impression that Lambert likes big personalities. Vlaar, Guzan, etc. Look at Ireland and N'Zogbia. Lambert has said that he thought both were decent players. But they generally came across as moody and lacking passion.

Gabby, as a local lad with a certain affinity with the fans, probably has a positive effect on the rest of the team. Whatever you think of him he really does care about Villa, IMO.

This, and the fact that he is nowhere near as "shit" as some are trying to make out. Important player for us, long may it continue.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

agbon_2863890b.jpg

He'd be a pretty decent bench player. If we want to improve we can find a better replacement and move gabby to the bench. He'd have competition and he'd be better than any shit that our budget can conjure up for a couple million. 

This, and the fact that he is nowhere near as "shit" as some are trying to make out. Important player for us, long may it continue.

He certainly isn't shit but he really needs competition, he shouldn't be guaranteed a place in the starting line up every game.

• Like 4

I thought we were supposed to be heading in a more financially astute and better value-for-money direction regarding contracts. This completely flies in the face of that.

You're assuming the new contract is the same as his old one. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been offered less in this new deal. I can't imagine any club would give him 60K a week.

• Like 1

If players gets rewarded for past preformances we're going to be in financal trouble again.
Love the guy, want him to stay at the club. But he's not worth what we're paying him.
Think it would be ideal to give him lower wage with huge preformance bonuses.

You're assuming the new contract is the same as his old one. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been offered less in this new deal. I can't imagine any club would give him 60K a week.

I imagine its a paycut for a longer deal though could be wrong

If players gets rewarded for past preformances we're going to be in financal trouble again.

Love the guy, want him to stay at the club. But he's not worth what we're paying him.

I agree with what you are saying, but think of it from Gabby's point of view. Why would anyone take a pay cut when they are going into the prime yrs of their career?

He's worth it IMO.

Lets think about what he brings to the table;

+ Villa's highest ever Premier League goal scorer

+ Blinding pace

+ Scores goals

+ Strong

+ After Benteke, Agbonlahor is the the most feared players in the eyes of opponents

+ Stretches defences which allows time and space for other players

+ Has worked on his game, has developed brilliant crossing ability (with both feet) and creates scoring opportunities for others (Assists)

+ Has scored some extremely important goals for us, without them we'd probably have been relegated.

+ Can play directly, runs at players or keeps it simple

+ Doesn't seem to give the ball away when played into him

+ Loyal. Shows more passion then some players. Proud to be playing for Villa.

- Inconsistent performances, will be brilliant one week, anonymous the next

- Has picked up more injuries then usual in the last 2/3 seasons

- Prone to miss a sitter every now and then

- Sometimes doesn't influence the game enough, but is more then capable of doing so.

- Doesn't score enough goals, but can be argued he has played as a left forward for the last 4 seasons.

Again, IMO he's worth it. Maybe with a few new signings, he might get himself into more goal scoring opportunities if we get a creative midfielder to play through balls to him.

Edited by Jay.P.A
  • Like 4

I agree with what you are saying, but think of it from Gabby's point of view. Why would anyone take a pay cut when they are going into the prime yrs of their career?

Even with a paycut I think he'd have difficulties finding a club willing to pay him what Aston Villa would be willing to.

He has sentimental(not sure if I'm using the right english word) value here which he doesn't have at other clubs.

I think the prime years thing is a fallacy. Some one like Gabby who relies on speed will not have the same peak years IMO as his pace will slow. He has also been playing for a long time and hasn't the football intelligence to adapt his game. I would offer him a new contract on lower wages with higher goal and app fee so if he is playing and scoring he will not lose out. He isn't worth the wages he receives now and if we are to progress every one on big money needs to justify it not just be a long servant. I do hope he signs as he is a Villan and always seems to turn it on when need just we need it more often now and not just in derbies!!

I am all for keeping Gabby for the rest of his career. Sure he isn't always the best player, he is inconsistent in front of goal - but he brings experience, leadership and he is true Villa. Certain players must guide the new players coming into the league and into our club, if we signed just a bunch of Sylla's and Tonev's the identity of the club would disappear immediately and the QPR-syndrome could come to haunt us. It's difficult to use the example of Ryan Giggs, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard (due to their obvious superior ability over the years), but I bet you these guys have had a value inside the dressing room and around the club that even surpasses their value on the pitch. Gabby is the only ambassador for this club right now and he's worth the extra wages.

I am not a fan of Lambert's tactics at all, because it works so seldom. However, when it does work it's much down to Gabby using his pace to cause some havoc down the left side. So in many ways he is instrumental for our attacking success, even though he isn't scoring many goals. This again is down to Lambert's tactics, as Gabby has to operate like a winger when he really is a striker.

• Like 3

I am all for keeping Gabby for the rest of his career. Sure he isn't always the best player, he is inconsistent in front of goal - but he brings experience, leadership and he is true Villa. Certain players must guide the new players coming into the league and into our club, if we signed just a bunch of Sylla's and Tonev's the identity of the club would disappear immediately and the QPR-syndrome could come to haunt us. It's difficult to use the example of Ryan Giggs, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard (due to their obvious superior ability over the years), but I bet you these guys have had a value inside the dressing room and around the club that even surpasses their value on the pitch. Gabby is the only ambassador for this club right now and he's worth the extra wages.

I am not a fan of Lambert's tactics at all, because it works so seldom. However, when it does work it's much down to Gabby using his pace to cause some havoc down the left side. So in many ways he is instrumental for our attacking success, even though he isn't scoring many goals. This again is down to Lambert's tactics, as Gabby has to operate like a winger when he really is a striker.

Definitely agree with that. I watched the Sturridge interview thing on Sky Sports last night and he said every single Liverpool player looks to Gerrard as the example of how they should be.

Now I'm not saying that all of our players should be growing awful tashes, but I'm sure having an older, experienced head who has been at the club for his entire career will give the younger lads somebody to look up to.

Â