Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Aston Villa to offer Gabriel Agbonlahor four-year deal Striker poised to commit to club, who will also look to tie down Fabian Delph and captain Ron Vlaar
agbon_2863890b.jpg
New deal: Gabriel Agbonlahor has one year left on his contract but is poised to begin negotiations with the hierarchy when the season finishes Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Gabriel Agbonlahor will be offered a new four-year deal this summer and the chance to remain at Aston Villa for the rest of his career.

Villa will discuss a contract extension with Agbonlahor at the end of the season that will ensure the club’s record Premier League scorer will be signed up into his 30s.

Agbonlahor, 27, joined the club as a youngster before making his debut in 2006 and is ready to commit his future to Paul Lambert’s team. The longest serving player on Villa’s books has one year left on his deal but is poised to begin negotiations with the hierarchy when the season finishes.

Fabian Delph and captain Ron Vlaar are also poised to sign new contracts as Villa move to tie down the majority of their squad for the long-term.

Lambert is still in discussions over his own future and is expected to sign an extension before the end of the season as Villa seek stability. Villa were thrashed 4-1 at home by Stoke City and face Manchester United this weekend but are on course to avoid being sucked into a relegation battle

he's on around 60k a week on his present deal! so another 4 years on around the same is £12.5million just on wages.

Is he worth anything like that?

I feel if we want get further in future then players like Gabby need to be more consistent...on be replaced.

was his commitment to the club in doubt?....is he as committed to a home win as the club is to him ?

have the lunatics took over the asylum?

• Like 1

I would have no hesitation handing Gabby a ten year contract (at 200k a week), he would deserve it for his commitment alone.  :)  Gabriel has given us some many special memories, and hopefully many more to come.

I would have no hesitation handing Gabby a ten year contract (at 200k a week), he would deserve it for his commitment alone.  :)  Gabriel has given us some many special memories, and hopefully many more to come.

wow

......as long as its YOUR money and not mine.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I don't want Gabby to play for any other club.

I look forward to his testimonial.

do you honestly think he ever would, he isn't as daft as he might look.

I am just glad your not our financial officer mate...... A few goals would be nice along with Gabby's commitment to the cause but I guess he just about deserves a new contract.

I'm not sure why his loyalty is continually brought up when no other club has ever shown an interest in him in order for such loyalty to be established. The simple fact is he has never been good enough to have warrented a bigger and/or more well-paid move away from here as some of his more talented team-mates did.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 4

Clubs would've enquired about him between 07-10 no question. When Downing has a  good season for us in a struggling side and gets an 18m move to Liverpool it's ridiculous to think no one would be interested in a key player of a top 6 team 3 years running.

Even now if we sold him the likes of Stoke, Everton and Newcastle would be interested in him imo.

There is no evidence to suggest any bigger clubs were enquired about him during that time. Also, we were a top-four chasing team back then so it would only have been the select few teams above us who would've been bold enough to move for him and he was never good enough for any of them.

Also, no way would Everton even be remotely interested in him. Martinez likes players with a certain level technical ability, something Gabby doesn't possess at all. Newcastle prefer players with sell-on value and Stoke wouldn't pay the wages I doubt. In fact, I can't think of any other club that would take Gabby on his current wages except the likes of QPR or maybe West Ham. In other words, no financially sensible clubs.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 3

I've never been a member of the Gabby appreciation society myself. I've always had concerns over his consistancy and said at the beginning of the season that this was his final chance to prove to me he could perform over an entire season, which he has failed to do...again.

• Like 3

Wouldn't be inclined to offer him a new contract just yet, hasn't doing anything in the last seven games. On the other hand Delph and Vlaar deserve new contracts after this season.

• Like 1

Stoke wanted him under Pulis, Mark Hughes signed Odemwingie recently who's a similar player but older. I mentioned Everton purely as Martinez got good performances out of CNZ and Gabby is better than him.

There are other clubs who do this loyalty thing btw, Ameobi has been at Newcastle for 13 years now despite scoring about 5 goals in that period, Ancihebe was at Everton for 8 years.

• Like 1

Stoke wanted him under Pulis, Mark Hughes signed Odemwingie recently who's a similar player but older. I mentioned Everton purely as Martinez got good performances out of CNZ and Gabby is better than him.

There are other clubs who do this loyalty thing btw, Ameobi has been at Newcastle for 13 years now despite scoring about 5 goals in that period, Ancihebe was at Everton for 8 years.

Newcastle fans, i know a fair few absolutely detest Ameobi, and Everton fans never rated Anichebe.

Odemwingie is a better finisher and has lot better skills than Gabby.

• Like 1

I've seen him score the winner at OT and in that shithole down the road. He's put in good performances in big games and local derbies loads of times and he's been the only academy graduate that's any cop for ages.

I wouldn't go as far as Gentleman, but I think he deserves a new contract. **** this season being his 'final chance'. He's not had a great season but he's still got 7 assists and he won the game at the Emirates (and was great at Anfield).

• Like 1

There is no evidence to suggest any bigger clubs were enquired about him during that time. Also, we were a top-four chasing team back then so it would only have been the select few teams above us who would've been bold enough to move for him and he was never good enough for any of them.

Also, no way would Everton even be remotely interested in him. Martinez likes players with a certain level technical ability, something Gabby doesn't possess at all. Newcastle prefer players with sell-on value and Stoke wouldn't pay the wages I doubt. In fact, I can't think of any other club that would take Gabby on his current wages except the likes of QPR or maybe West Ham. In other words, no financially sensible clubs.

Why do you think anyone would get evidence on such matters?? Links on the internet or in the paper aren't really evidence are they.

I say this because I know for a fact that Arsenal offered him a deal when we were in the top 4 challenge days and he turned it down.

I guess also there are just some of us left that appreciate having somebody who is 100% Villa in the squad. It's important for new players, it's important for the community.

I'd also argue the fact there is currently nobody to match his pace in the premier league when he gets on a run - it causes chances.

Ameobi is happy to be a squad player and I'd assume isn't one of their highest earners. Anichebe was sold for not being good enough so I'm not sure how that is relevant?

Why do you think anyone would get evidence on such matters?? Links on the internet or in the paper aren't really evidence are they.

I say this because I know for a fact that Arsenal offered him a deal when we were in the top 4 challenge days and he turned it down

No offence but I'm not really just going to accept that claim at face-value. Regarding evidence, how do we ascertain the interest of any club in a player? You obviously rely on statements from the managers, players, agents etc. involved as well as media reports. There is nothing of this kind to suggest that any club ever made a serious approach for Gabby during that period.

Â