Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

5 hours ago, AndyBM said:

some of the abuse aimed at gabby isnt fully justified, for many years villa fans generally have wanted to see a long serving player in the ranks, a player from youth to retirement, and where most of us thought we could see that in gabby, the awful truth is that he is no longer the striker he once was, would he be better converting to a winger and asked just to keep whipping crosses in, or would he be better served playing elsewhere?

I still think Gabby has something to offer us. His form seemed to pick up when Sherwood came in and played him as a striker rather than a wide player. Even this season, yes his finishing was poor, but he was still causing problems for the opposition and getting into the positions to score.

I am still hopeful that we will get a striker late in the window, but I think it would be foolish of Garde to completely disregard Gabby given our lack of forward options.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, poitier said:

I still think Gabby has something to offer us. His form seemed to pick up when Sherwood came in and played him as a striker rather than a wide player. Even this season, yes his finishing was poor, but he was still causing problems for the opposition and getting into the positions to score.

I am still hopeful that we will get a striker late in the window, but I think it would be foolish of Garde to completely disregard Gabby given our lack of forward options.

I mentioned this in the main transfer thread and think you are right. He should not be disregarded, but not relied upon. He could still have an impact as a sub in the last 15 mins of a game. 

32 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I mentioned this in the main transfer thread and think you are right. He should not be disregarded, but not relied upon. He could still have an impact as a sub in the last 15 mins of a game. 

If Garde can get Gabby motivated and giving 100% then he definitely has something to offer, especially now we are short of strikers. But if he isn't interested then he shouldn't be on the pitch.

• Like 1

Every time i see this tread bumped to the top i get excited thinking maybe some club has found a youtube highlight reel of his from 2006-2008 and decided to buy him based purely on that.

1 good season since 09/10 and bizarrely that was the season in which he only made 28 appearances (12/13)

Gabby lacks discipline and motivation. It doesn’t surprise me that his best form was under a disciplined manager in Martin O’Neil.

If he ends up at West Brom under Tony Pulis and got himself back into playing shape I could see him being a success there.

Right now he’s a Villa player and we are in a relegation battle. I think that's enough reason to get him motivated. Would like to see him involved more in the 2nd half of the season.  

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 2

i think we as fans need so,e clarity on this, if garde sees him as trouble, then he should not let him train with the first team. If he's trouble as we assume then why have him around those that still want to work for the shirt?

Personally, I just hope they've had a little fall out, Garde has put him in his place, he starts to respond positively and he behaves himself and get's back in the team, i think he can mae a difference - h hasto be a better option than sinclair, surely?

11 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Gabby lacks discipline and motivation. It doesn’t surprise me that his best form was under a disciplined manager in Martin O’Neil.

If he ends up at West Brom under Tony Pulis and got himself back into playing shape I could see him being a success there.

Right now he’s a Villa player and we are in a relegation battle. I think that's enough reason to get him motivated. Would like to see him involved more in the 2nd half of the season.  

I'd have to disagree with this.

As far as I am aware, MON was not anything close to a disciplined manager and was said to be incredibly hands off. I believe it may be quite the opposite and Gabby is not a fan of discipline/structured/being pushed too hard. He seemed to have a problem with Robert Duverne the first time around under Houllier and I do not think it is any coincidence that Duverne has come back to the club under Garde, and Gabby is out of the team. Duverne is said to have a very disciplined style when it comes to training and fitness, and I think that points to the issue lying with Gabby and his work rate, or lack thereof. 

Â