Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

19 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Gabby and Traore upfront next season would be a bit terrifying for any championship defence.

why? on what basis?

see i look at it like this.  The teams we are hopeful about competing with next season are presumably those to the top end of the division.  Has gabby frightened the likes of sunderland, newcastle,  norwich, swansea for example who are teams comparable to some in the championship and may actually be in the championship next season.

the championship will not be a push over,  i mean it's not like we have done brilliantly the last four years against teams who are in or have been in or will be in the championship is it?

Edited by Richard

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

why? on what basis?

see i look at it like this.  The teams we are hopeful about competing with next season are presumably those to the top end of the division.  Has gabby frightened the likes of sunderland, newcastle,  norwich, swansea for example who are teams comparable to some in the championship and may actually be in the championship next season.

the championship will not be a push over,  i mean it's not like we have done brilliantly the last four years against teams who are in or have been in or will be in the championship is it?

Rotherham, Preston, Brentford, Charlton....

9 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I think it's also easy to suggest "he was badly managed" like none of it his fault. Sorry doesn't wash with me. Very much good riddance if (a big if) he does leave, 3 potentially 4 years too late for me. 

Bearing in mind most fans seem to deny he was badly managed so that they can put all the blame on him instead and have a good moan, I would say it isn't an easy suggestion to make as I am more likely to get criticised for it.

I firmly believe he has been badly managed. O'Neill could keep him in line and get the best out of him but look at the managers since? They've failed with more than just Gabby. N'Zogbia has been a waste of time and money, so was Ireland. We signed Given and for two years he couldn't get a game. Makoun was also a wasted signing and then there was Bent. Many of us celebrated those as good deals at the time they arrived (although I didn't when it came to N'Zogbia or Ireland). You can't seriously tell me all of those players are to blame for their under performance? It's the manager's job to get the best out of them, that's what he is specifically paid to do.

I agree that Gabby is a tricky character, he's not very clever and he's cocky. But that doesn't mean we should all say good riddance and blame him entirely for his failings.

A little perspective is needed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, philthevillan said:

Bearing in mind most fans seem to deny he was badly managed so that they can put all the blame on him instead and have a good moan, I would say it isn't an easy suggestion to make as I am more likely to get criticised for it.

I firmly believe he has been badly managed. O'Neill could keep him in line and get the best out of him but look at the managers since? They've failed with more than just Gabby. N'Zogbia has been a waste of time and money, so was Ireland. We signed Given and for two years he couldn't get a game. Makoun was also a wasted signing and then there was Bent. Many of us celebrated those as good deals at the time they arrived (although I didn't when it came to N'Zogbia or Ireland). You can't seriously tell me all of those players are to blame for their under performance? It's the manager's job to get the best out of them, that's what he is specifically paid to do.

I agree that Gabby is a tricky character, he's not very clever and he's cocky. But that doesn't mean we should all say good riddance and blame him entirely for his failings.

Nah, he is an absolute knob.

24 minutes ago, philthevillan said:

The likes of N'Zogbia and Ireland have had previous for attitude and commitment, that is the club's failing to not look up the character which I have previously blamed the board for. If the club felt he is a tricky character why would they renew his contract for me there is more to it than just blaming the managers considering what the situation was like, Darren Bent was ahead of him at one point why? Bent delivered on the pitch (atleast for that season) with his goals. Benteke the same. It is obvious the club don't feel like he is the option to score goals in this league he has to take some responsibility for that with his pathetic goal output and sheer lack of quality he has delivered over the past couple of years.

Fact is I have seen one of the worst performances from a professional footballer this season against Spurs. He has become a laughing stock. Let's see how he responds as we seemingly have no other choice but I wouldn't hold your breath on expecting miracles from him. I certainly won't be.

35 minutes ago, philthevillan said:

MON "managed" them by letting them do whatever the **** they wanted and gave them days off from training all the time because it worked for Clough 30 years ago.. this is well known.

No wonder he's a knob if half your managers stroke your ego and half expect you to work hard and do your job properly.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, mwj said:

MON "managed" them by letting them do whatever the **** they wanted and gave them days off from training all the time because it worked for Clough 30 years ago.. this is well known.

No wonder he's a knob if half your managers stroke your ego and half expect you to work hard and do your job properly.

He sure did, you were lucky if Martin turned up for training half the **** time.

I wonder why we always collapsed towards the end of the season..

26 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He sure did, you were lucky if Martin turned up for training half the **** time.

I wonder why we always collapsed towards the end of the season..

Well it's obvious that he was such a terrible manager as we have done so well since those dark days. Come on guys let's get real here... Gabby played well under O'Neill and has been poor ever since.

Plus perhaps our collapses were down to not having as big a squad as the established top four sides?

I admit I look back at those times with rose tinted spectacles but some of you look back at that era blindfolded and suffering from amnesia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philthevillan said:

So Gabby's lack of performance outcomes and effort is blamed on KMac, Gerard Houllier, McLeish, Lambert, KMac again, Sherwood, KMac again, and Garde?  (I feel like I'm Missing someone).  At some point don't you have to think it's down to the player?  How many managers can get nothing from him before it's his own fault?  Not sure what the number is, but I am completely confident that Gabby is well past that number.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

So Gabby's lack of performance outcomes and effort is blamed on KMac, Gerard Houllier, McLeish, Lambert, KMac again, Sherwood, KMac again, and Garde?  (I feel like I'm Missing someone).  At some point don't you have to think it's down to the player?  How many managers can get nothing from him before it's his own fault?  Not sure what the number is, but I am completely confident that Gabby is well past that number.

Well yes, because they are paid to get the best out of him! Note I am not completely exonerating him, I am saying some perspective is required.

Well yes, because they are paid to get the best out of him! Note I am not completely exonerating him, I am saying some perspective is required.

Surely he is paid to get the best out of himself? He's not a child

19 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Gary McAllister? Took over from Houllier after he collapsed & went to hospital even got a goal out of Gabby, so maybe he doesn't fit the story?

• Like 1

It just show how desperate we are as fans that anyone believes that a player who has delivered so little for so long could actually add any value right now. Bizarrely I would give him a go from bench on the basis that we just don't have any other options. TBH Garde must really really not rate him to even give that longest of shots a go.

Edited by Harry

Â