General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

AVB is my number one choice, although extremely unlikely.

Realistic options, I'd like to see Di Canio in charge, but would be fairly happy with most the names being mentioned. Not too sure Martinez though.

My one big fear about the like Lambert, Rogers and McDermott, is this a season too early for them - there’s always the fear of 1st season wonders, eg Owen Coyle, who was flavour of the month last season, only to relegate Bolton this year.

Maybe but on the other hand are we a club that can afford to wait to see if they do it in year two or three.

Firstly we cannot e changing manager again in 12 months or two years IMO we need stability. And secondly if we wait for them to prove it in year two or three then other clubs far more attractive than us will come looking. There are clubs who will be looking for new managers in a year or two, Plop, Evernot even Le Arse and if Lambert or Rodgers had the choice then, not sure they would go with us. Not sure they would go with us now mind but I think we are better placed now because if they are looking to move they do not have much choice.

I think Lambert is looking to move to the next step, I think we are ideal for him and I would love to see him here. I just hope he can be persuaded and I hope we try to persuade him bebfore the boggies do

Top post mate, totally agree with all of it.

We also have to look at what influence a new manager will have on our new generation coming through.

If the right funding is made available i couldn't see the likes of Rafa persisting with Baker and Lichaj in our back four, Herd, Gardner and Albrighton in midfield and Weiman up front. My feeling is that the majority of those players will be sent out on loan and eventually sold. Carruthers might turn out to be the only jewel we have and we'll not know that until next season if he gets the game time with the new manager.

For me that is the crux of the matter. If the chairman isn't going to make enough funding available to revamp the whole squad then he must choose a manager who has a track record of getting the best out of what is available to him. Alternatively, if Lerner's cheque book is to be opened significantly then he has to go for a name manager like Rafa.

The chairman must choose the manager not only to fit the club but also to fit the budget.

Pretty sure Rafa Benitez was linked with Gary Gardner when he was Inter manager. I think Benitez's transfer history at Liverpool was similar to Houllier's except swap french players no one had heard of for Spanish players no one had heard of. He did have big money flops like Dossena, Aquilani, and that Belgian defender.

Not my choice but suprised noone has mentioned Owen Coyle. I know he had a bad season but it wasn't long ago that we would have loved him to sign on as our manager.

Another recently relegated manager? I think we can do better, so it's a no thanks from me.

I also agree with this, nothing against Owen Coyle but after just going through one relegated manager I really don't think it would be a good idea to go down this road again.

If there were to be a few defeats would the crowd panic start on him, so soon after Mcleish I fear they would.

My one big fear about the like Lambert, Rogers and McDermott, is this a season too early for them - there’s always the fear of 1st season wonders, eg Owen Coyle, who was flavour of the month last season, only to relegate Bolton this year.

Maybe but on the other hand are we a club that can afford to wait to see if they do it in year two or three.

Firstly we cannot e changing manager again in 12 months or two years IMO we need stability. And secondly if we wait for them to prove it in year two or three then other clubs far more attractive than us will come looking. There are clubs who will be looking for new managers in a year or two, Plop, Evernot even Le Arse and if Lambert or Rodgers had the choice then, not sure they would go with us. Not sure they would go with us now mind but I think we are better placed now because if they are looking to move they do not have much choice.

I think Lambert is looking to move to the next step, I think we are ideal for him and I would love to see him here. I just hope he can be persuaded and I hope we try to persuade him bebfore the boggies do

So to conclude, you agree they may be 'flavour of the month' / first season wonders and that Villa cannot afford to change manager again next year but we should still try and bring in Lambert....?? its a risk bringing him in. If Villa need stability then I personally think its a risk too far.

Top post mate, totally agree with all of it.

Richard doesn't even agree with himself in that post, how can you agree with all of it? :lol:

nail.gif

The Independent is reporting we want Lambert which makes it nearly fact. Whether we get him is another thing.

No chance the Baggies would have a hope of attracting him IMO.

Does anyone think Lambert would actually come? in our current state I don't (bosmans etc).

However if Lerner promises a good amount funds I can see him coming.

I still think we are an attractive move for someone like Lambert. The potential of what he could do here at Villa Park with a bit of backing is a massive attraction.

Lambert cannot imporove on what he has done with Norwich this season imo.

So to conclude, you agree they may be 'flavour of the month' / first season wonders and that Villa cannot afford to change manager again next year but we should still try and bring in Lambert....?? its a risk bringing him in. If Villa need stability then I personally think its a risk too far.

No.

I am saying it is a difficult choice, we have to weigh up all the options of this type of appointment. But I conclude by saying we should go for Lambert, that , IMO, he is an ideal fit for us and we an ideal fit for him at this time. It may be a risk but I think it is a risk waiting to see how he does in year two or three and then saying "wish we would have got him". I do think he is the real deal

We need stability for sure. But that comes from having the goodwill and success, that allows the manager the time to bring further success. I think the next manager will automatically have some goodwill from not being Mcleish, but that does not mean that that is good enough to allow him the time to do stuff. It also has to be the right manager with a shared vision, a plan to get there and a track record to back that up. It has to be an ambitious manager as well in many respects.

Sad to say this but we are not the end point in clubs, we are a stepping stone now to bigger and better clubs. Managers who want to get to those bigger and better clubs will look at us as the ideal opportunity to help them get there in two or three years time. This was another problem with Mcleish for me. He was never going to get there, we are the pinnacle of his career, there was nothing for him to strive for personally.

Lambert, IMO, will be looking to progress personally and that ambition will not allow him to fail in this job.

So it may be a risk, every appointment is actually. If there is a risk free managerial appointment then show me who it is. IMO Lambert is a risk worth taking while we still have the option of taking it.

I guiess my post was basically saying strike now while the iron is hot

Based on last summer this is how I see things panning out:-

Lambert resigns as norwich boss - we all get excited - but then the villa board totally ignore him - and then poach Owen Coyle from relegated Bolton

Does anyone think Lambert would actually come? in our current state I don't (bosmans etc).

However if Lerner promises a good amount funds I can see him coming.

Yes, he has shown in the past he leaves when he feels there isn't much more he can do. On the face of things he's taken Norwich as high as they can probably realistically go with their finances. If he stays on another year he's looking at a possible relegation on his CV which will do more harm than good in the long run. I do think he'll move on and join a bigger club, a club with funds to spend.

Lambert is not a risk. He has had consecutive promotions. That is hugely more impressive than just the usual promotion. And it means that his comfortable midtable Premier League finish was achieved with a League One flavour to his squad. If people can't see that Lambert is the real deal then they're beyond help. We won't get Lambert if we wait. I think we'd get him now, but even that will be a struggle. He is the next big thing to emerge from British football management and we need him here now.