General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

IMHO, if we don't persuade Lambert, someone else will. And in 2 years, or sooner, we'll be looking at him and thinking "i wish we'd got him to manage Aston Villa")

Exactly what I thought when Norwich got him. Please all stop this 'good football' thing regards Martinez. What we NEED is WINNING football. That means sometimes you have to play ugly. Fergie's done it for years when needed to.

Lambert would be a real coup I think, maybe not in the eyes of alot of supporters but I think within the game people would really sit up and take notice again. If we don't take a risk on these 'up and coming managers' then we are stuckk with the stale old guard types such as McLeish, McCarthy, fat sam.

I wonder if Preston North End thought hiring Darren Ferguson was a no risk strategy? Afterall he got consecutive promotions which is the yard stick which all upcoming managers are measured by. His Dad could also keep a fresh supply of hungry Man utd players coming in. How could it possible go wrong? :D

Why not AVB? Is not he really affordable? He has a lot to prove on the PL level but he is proven I think. I am sure he would rebuild Chelsea if there were not the old dogs like Terry, Drogba and Lampard.

I wonder if Preston North End thought hiring Darren Ferguson was a no risk strategy? Afterall he got consecutive promotions which is the yard stick which all upcoming managers are measured by. His Dad could also keep a fresh supply of hungry Man utd players coming in. How could it possible go wrong? :D

Firstly, there's a difference between consecutive promotions from League 2 to the championship, and from League 1 to the premier league before we even mention that Lambert has followed up on his promotions with a very good season in the Premier League, making 3 excellent seasons in a row.

Secondly, Lambert's achievement isn't taken in isolation. I (and others) don't rate him JUST because he gained promotion twice. That could be misleading. After all, in the extreme situation, if a team was backed with billions then any half decent manager could do that and it wouldn't mean he would be a success elsewhere.

But with lambert he has qualities that go along with the achievement of promotion back to back. He is very tactically astute, he motivates his players to perform above their apparent abilities, he produces teams greater than the sum of their parts etc.

We're not saying he's good purely because he got promoted twice. That's just one reason why he's rated.

But with lambert he has qualities that go along with the achievement of promotion back to back. He is very tactically astute, he motivates his players to perform above their apparent abilities, he produces teams greater than the sum of their parts etc.

We're not saying he's good purely because he got promoted twice. That's just one reason why he's rated.

Wouldn't all that apply to any manager who got a team promoted twice? You can't be a crap manager and get a team promoted twice, can you?

I just think people are getting very excited about the prospect of a manager who, in reality, has not really proved himself at the top level. He could just as easily be a flop as a success. Nothing against the guy, if he comes, great.

I just feel a bit uneasy about the talk of having to get on our knees and beg him to join our club like he's Mourinho or Guardiola.

Firstly, there's a difference between consecutive promotions from League 2 to the championship, and from League 1 to the premier league before we even mention that Lambert has followed up on his promotions with a very good season in the Premier League, making 3 excellent seasons in a row.

Secondly, Lambert's achievement isn't taken in isolation. I (and others) don't rate him JUST because he gained promotion twice. That could be misleading. After all, in the extreme situation, if a team was backed with billions then any half decent manager could do that and it wouldn't mean he would be a success elsewhere.

Quick question, did Lambert redo the team when they went up from league one to the championship, then got a few players in when getting into the premier league. Or does the squad mostly consist off "league one players" ?

Quick question, did Lambert redo the team when they went up from league one to the championship, then got a few players in when getting into the premier league. Or does the squad mostly consist off "league one players" ?

The latter.

He's added to the squad. but he's had hardly any money to do it, and the players he has added would hardly be considered premier League Quality.

About the biggest signing he's made is Kyle Naughton

Wouldn't all that apply to any manager who got a team promoted twice? You can't be a crap manager and get a team promoted twice, can you?

I just think people are getting very excited about the prospect of a manager who, in reality, has not really proved himself at the top level. He could just as easily be a flop as a success. Nothing against the guy, if he comes, great.

I just feel a bit uneasy about the talk of having to get on our knees and beg him to join our club like he's Mourinho or Guardiola.

Who do you want in next?

Who do you want in next?

If I was Randy (oo er) I'd go after Rafa Benitez as my first choice.

Fair enough. But you do know that pretty much everything good he has ever achieved in management was done with Pako Ayestarán as his number 2 and it all fell apart as soon as they (irreconcilably) fell out. Ayestarán is generally acknowledged as the brains behind Rafa and without him Rafa is fairly close to useless. Just something to consider.

I want DiCanio. After the last two miserable seasons, we need some entertainment, both on and off the pitch.

Sorry, but with his history with the far right in Italy, Villa is really the last place for a man like that. Still agree he was a great personality though.

I notice that a lot of people are making a big deal about his political views but are they really that important? I get the impression that if he was a communist (far-left as opposed to far-right) nobody would care.

For the record, I don't want DiCanio nor do I agree with his views.

100% agree wth Richard its got to be Lambert. Dont forget in the build up to the Norwch game he said he was a close friend of Stan and had been up to visit him. Stan could have spoken about our club and convinced him to consider being the manager if the job became available. It would then be good if Stan cant play again he could return in some coaching capacity when recovered.

It is without doubt the club will approach Lambert. Regards to "not nice to see comments" (fans abusing McLeish). Lambert witnessed similar scenes with Bryan Gunn (a fellow actually ran on the field seeking retribution) after his Colchester side demolished Norwich 7-1. Gunn was given 2 games. Lambert did not take umbrage to this.

However on his decision to join Norwich he commented:

“I spoke to Martin (O'Neill) about the offer and he told me that Norwich was a huge club and that it was too good a job to turn down. He said that he (O'Neill) had enjoyed his time here and that while there is a lot of pressure, it could be an incredible place.”

The Gent ponders, could O'Neill's negative working relationship with the board/Lerner affect Lambert decision to take the job?

The Gentleman was in the Martinez camp initially but after consideration of Lambert achievements and potential he now gets the Gents seal of approval (not quite a illusions as Fergie Seal of Approval). Back to back promotions, solid Prem start with poor squad, CC semi-finalists with Wycombe, tactically adaptive, young allowing room to improve, and seemingly highly motivated with a no-nonsense attitude.

Fair enough. But you do know that pretty much everything good he has ever achieved in management was done with Pako Ayestarán as his number 2 and it all fell apart as soon as they (irreconcilably) fell out. Ayestarán is generally acknowledged as the brains behind Rafa and without him Rafa is fairly close to useless. Just something to consider.

Yeah, I see what you mean but it would be difficult to prove how much influence he had on Rafa's success.

I remember a certain Birmingham based Premier League club using the fitness team that master minded France's World Cup and European Championships glory... and it didn't end well.

Yeah, I see what you mean but it would be difficult to prove how much influence he had on Rafa's success.

I haven't bothered because he was a Liverpool manager, but I'm told it's fairly easy and a fairly immediate deterioration. It's certainly enough that I wouldn't trust him here on his own. I'd have most of the likely candidates over him. The only advantage to Benitez; and it's a small one; would be the little boost in profile we'd get by having a 'name' in charge. But considering we've already experienced that with Houllier, I'd much rather go down the 'Moyes' route for want of a better analogy, and bring in someone who is hungry and who I see as tailor-made for us.