General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I think Lambert is a much, much better fit for where we are now and I hope her gets the job.

I can see your logic and more than that I actually agree with it.

The problem for me is that we've got rid of one problem in McLeish but another remains and that is the players.

Personally I don't much want a manager who is a better fit with these players (the senior ones) I'd rather a manager who would want rid of them.

The likes of Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Hutton can all go as far as I'm concerned and so can Gabby and Bent if they wish while N'Zogbia should start packing now.

I agree with you that Lambert would be more suited to working with these players than Rodgers but I'd just much rather we went in a different direction as a club.

That might make next season another bumpy one but even with someone like Lambert I think this current group of players are going to struggle to do much better in any case.

That might be a nice idea in principle but, as we know, these players are on wages way above what they could earn elsewhere, and that rather anchors them to the club. Dunne, N'Zogbia, Bent and Gabby can be good players under the right management. We've seen that, I don't think we should forget it.

I can't see anyone wanting to to come in for any of our senior players except Bent (and I'm hopeful that we'll keep him). Although I would expect there to be some money available, radical squad overhaul isn't on the cards I don't think, let alone radical squad overhaul combined with a total shift in playing style.

We'd be fighting relegation again, it wouldn't be pretty, it wouldn't be smart.

Personally think it'll be Steve Bruce, unfortunately.

I'd actually prefer McLeish over him. I'm almost certain he won't be hired...he's just too similar to McLeish.

I just think we'll have a summer of avoiding stepping on other club's toes, only to come to the conclusion that we should employ an out of job manager with PL experience...

I want a manager here who has the knowledge to not only bring in some overseas talent & the "pull" to get them to come here but also has the tactical awareness to counter balance the fact that we have less talent at the club than the top 6 clubs & are likely to continue to be faced with that issue.

Lets face it we do not have the financial pull of say either of the Manchester clubs & Liverpool or the locational pull of the London clubs. So for me we have to compensate for this by having a manager with enough "pull" to attract players here.

Based on this i would have to say someone with a big international image such as Rafa or possibly AVB?

Other than that i agree our only option is to go with a complete restructuring of our style & go for the likes of Martinez, Rogers etc..to enable us to simply out play teams!

One thing is for sure the kick n rush thing has been tried to death & for me is now old skool out of date football which nobody wants to watch. I don't mind that as a plan B however! After all Man Utd are past masters at it but you have to have the style option too in my opinion. For me any team will struggle to finish in the top 8 now with anti football which is a good thing surely?

So

1.AVB / Rafa / A N other Manager with international "Pull"

2. Martinez / Rogers

3. Lambert

I think Lambert is a much, much better fit for where we are now and I hope her gets the job.

I can see your logic and more than that I actually agree with it.

The problem for me is that we've got rid of one problem in McLeish but another remains and that is the players.

Personally I don't much want a manager who is a better fit with these players (the senior ones) I'd rather a manager who would want rid of them.

The likes of Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Hutton can all go as far as I'm concerned and so can Gabby and Bent if they wish while N'Zogbia should start packing now.

I agree with you that Lambert would be more suited to working with these players than Rodgers but I'd just much rather we went in a different direction as a club.

That might make next season another bumpy one but even with someone like Lambert I think this current group of players are going to struggle to do much better in any case.

I think that was the point I was trying to make and might have been missed (not by you Trent).

We are at a crossroads, pledging allegiance to a self centered and self serving set of senior pros would be suicidal. To move forward, those players need to be removed and replaced. Otherwise, we will waste a generation of kids that need nurturing in a professional manner, not influenced by the bad behaviour of those they seek inspiration from.

There needs to be an overhaul otherwise we risk continuing down our "just enough, just in time" development path which is financially and competitively ridiculous.

I would like to see Andre Villas Boas so every time I see his name in the press at a glance I no longer have to get annoyed that it does not, in fact, have nothing to do with Aston Villa.

Problem with the likes of Rafa & AVB is they have currency across Europe and even if we did land them as soon as a pretty girl with a champions league skirt batted her eyelids at them they'd be off. What we desperately need is stability - a quality man with a vision to build a squad and achieve some consistency in our performances and squad composition.

I just don't see that with the likes of Rafa and Boas

Whatever Randy decides we have to make sure we back the new manager 100% (unless he goes for someone like Bruce or McCarthy, who were both sacked for being shit)

Whoever gets the job will have an uphill battle to undo the mess left behind by McLeish. Players need a boost in confidence and the new manager needs to instil a winning mentality and also root out the bad apples in the squad. Not an easy task.

The most important thing is to give him the time needed. In my opinion Lambert looks the most likely candidate to be able to meet all those requirements. Lets hope Randy pulls out all the stops to get him, as he did to get McLeish.

I see a downside of McLeish being sacked...I can now see a summer of us being a (continued) laughing tock due to our inability to find a manager...much like Wolves and much like we have the past 2 summers

Even if this is the case, it will be infinitely better than being a laughing stock for keeping McLeish and watching him sign Karl Henry and co. :D

Personally think it'll be Steve Bruce, unfortunately.

No chance. The club statement yesterday showed they have learned from McLeish. 5 minutes research would show them that Bruce would be just as disastrous as McLeish.

I think it will be Martinez or Lambert I would say Martinez because he is out of contract with Wigan and he has proved he can keep a club in the PL on next to nothing.

Lambert would be good but Norwich will really fight to keep him.

If we have to lower wages then we need a manager like Martinez,whoever we get they have to work under those conditions so that cuts out a lot of managers.

Either Martinez or Lambert will be great by me.

Both have qualities that are exactly what our club needs right now.

Most importantly either one will unify the club from top to bottom if appointed.

Martinez so far has got 36, 42 & 43 points in his 3 years at Wigan. Im not so sure about him compared to Lambert win League One, finish 2nd in the Championship & 12th amasing 47 points level with 10th place WBA. I dont think anyone could argue Norwich have a better squad than Wigan?

Solskjaer has had one good season with a lot of money to spend (relatively in the league) and not a great start this season. I think there are better options out there, dont rate him yet. I rate wolves Solbakken higher amongst the young norwegian manager at the moment, Solksjaer needs more time to develop his own style.

A tiny part of me genuinely wonders if Pepe Guardiola fancies a real challenge in the world's biggest league...

We have to go for someone who has knowledge of european and world leagues. We can't start all over again with the limited, overly-safe O'Neill approach, we need to be more adventurous. Look at teams like Newcastle and Fulham, and Everton to a degree. All seem able to incorporate very good foreign players into their squads. Even Wigan have unearthed good players in recent years. We need someone who is tapped in to that world, someone who speaks to foreign coaches and scouts and watches their games.

I suppose Paul Lambert, with his Dormund connection, might tick boxes but I don't know if it's enough. It might be, I just don't know enough about him. I'm also not sure whether his philosphy is what I'd want. OK, he has had to work on a low budget and has managed to get the best from his players using counter-attacking/direct football, and maybe he could incorporate a different style of play if he was able to spend a bit more money. I'm just not convinced.

The man for me is Gus Poyet. He has been working hard, earning his stripes in the lower leagues with some success, which is very admirable. He was an excellent player in both Spain and England and has international experience. He is also a likeable fellow who seems to have the respect of his peers. I know that similar things could also be said of people like Paul Ince (maybe not the likeable bit) but I just get the impression with Poyet that he is more of a deep thinker, someone who reads the intricacies of the game a bit better and who imparts a calming influence on his players rather than just winding them up.

I also really like what Rogers has done at Swansea. Some of the football they play is fantastic and I get the feeling it would only take a couple of good-quality players for that team to be up there chasing European places. Martinez, some would say, set the ball rolling at Swansea and I wouldn't be against him either, he just wouldn't be my first choice.

We also have to look at what influence a new manager will have on our new generation coming through.

If the right funding is made available i couldn't see the likes of Rafa persisting with Baker and Lichaj in our back four, Herd, Gardner and Albrighton in midfield and Weiman up front. My feeling is that the majority of those players will be sent out on loan and eventually sold. Carruthers might turn out to be the only jewel we have and we'll not know that until next season if he gets the game time with the new manager.

For me that is the crux of the matter. If the chairman isn't going to make enough funding available to revamp the whole squad then he must choose a manager who has a track record of getting the best out of what is available to him. Alternatively, if Lerner's cheque book is to be opened significantly then he has to go for a name manager like Rafa.

The chairman must choose the manager not only to fit the club but also to fit the budget.