General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I also think that the new manager should be someone who knows european leagues, and naturally plays attractive football. I'm not that impressed by Martinez either, very much seems like hit'n'miss, also he doesn't seem like manager with the personality what Villa would need right now.

Why all the hype about Martinez?

The guy spunks money on crap and for 90% of the year is woeful

He would have us firmly in the bottom 5 year on year

Footballing philosophy, ability to motivate players and get results under pressure, young, intelligent, loyal, Gets average players peforming well, kept wigan in the prem with good quality play, better than mcleish.

He his not the perfect manager, granted.

Martinez or lambert are the realistic choices for me. Both need to be backed and given a few seasons to change the squad round.

I know people are saying martinez has a low points tally but because wigan have such limited money and always have to sell any half decent players i believe it would be hard to get consistency and thats why he performs better at the end of the season.

I keep hearing from everywhere in the media that there is no money this summer for players and we have to rely on what we have got. Any one know if this is the case?

If so, then I can imagine whoever is the manager we will struggle.

We also have to look at what influence a new manager will have on our new generation coming through.

If the right funding is made available i couldn't see the likes of Rafa persisting with Baker and Lichaj in our back four, Herd, Gardner and Albrighton in midfield and Weiman up front. My feeling is that the majority of those players will be sent out on loan and eventually sold. Carruthers might turn out to be the only jewel we have and we'll not know that until next season if he gets the game time with the new manager.

For me that is the crux of the matter. If the chairman isn't going to make enough funding available to revamp the whole squad then he must choose a manager who has a track record of getting the best out of what is available to him. Alternatively, if Lerner's cheque book is to be opened significantly then he has to go for a name manager like Rafa.

The chairman must choose the manager not only to fit the club but also to fit the budget.

Wigan do not have limited money though

They get at least £40m a year TV money and have been for 7 years now

The amount going in is neither here nor there when talking about how Martinez has done. Look instead at how much he has had to spend on players recently. It isn't much at all.

I keep hearing from everywhere in the media that there is no money this summer for players and we have to rely on what we have got. Any one know if this is the case?

That's your problem right there mate - you heard the media and thought there was truth in it.

They know as much as you when it comes down to how Lerner spends his money

The media turn on Lerner because he doesn't speak to them, so they constantly make up he won't spend to try and get him to come out. Let's be brutally honest AM was backed last season, he spent more at VP than he was ever given at Blues, he bought shite or players who did not perform for him. We can go on and on about Downing, Young but under McLeish they would have made no difference.

Wigan do not have limited money though

They get at least £40m a year TV money and have been for 7 years now

But if your wage bill is 50m and you only get crowds of around 15,000, that leaves little for transfer fees.

I really don't get the fuss around Martinez, Wigan have been dire for a large proportion of the season but because they ended it well he is flavour of the month. I fear we'd spend another season around the lower regions of the table with the word "transition" being used every five minutes.

Lambert for me is a much stronger appointment, I think the squad (whatever it will look like next season) would quickly unify around him and we'd have a solid if not spectacular season. While that doesn't sound too inspiring I think it's what we need, a bit stability. We need to shed this image of a club in perpetual crisis and once again become an attractive proposition for quality players, then we can push on in years to come and re-establish ourselves as a club competing for European football.

We were apparently skint when we sign Darren Bent tho mate.

Money for players is not the issue...it's the wage bill.

Lambert for me is a much stronger appointment, I think the squad (whatever it will look like next season) would quickly unify around him and we'd have a solid if not spectacular season

:shock: He's not a magician. I think some people are getting a little bit carried away with the credentials of Martinez/Lambert.

For how much longer? I find it hard to believe our current squad get so much considering half of it is made up of kids.

I look at Fulham's squad with envy!

Lambert for me is a much stronger appointment, I think the squad (whatever it will look like next season) would quickly unify around him and we'd have a solid if not spectacular season

:shock: He's not a magician. I think some people are getting a little bit carried away with the credentials of Martinez/Lambert.

Not sure what he said wrong.

I think we would have a "solid" season with Lambert. Solid being mid-table.

which is why the likes of bent,gabby,ireland,dunne and warnock need to be moved on