General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I just listened to Paul Faulkner on Five Live and to me he was talking about "long term" and wanting a manager to "build his squad" here.. think they are very much after a young manager for what he says is "stability"

He was asked would you get in a manager before the end of may and he said we don't want to put a timeframe on it but equally we don't want to be "hanging around"

One comment that did make me think hmm was when he said "we will get advice from people around us", not sure if that is a good thing or not judging from the past decisions.

Pretty much the same crap he was coming out with last summer then.

True but that's not really a criticism. That's all standard stuff to say. It's all 'right'. They just need to go and do it. I still think (hope?) they've a better idea this time around and the market is better.

One comment that did make me think hmm was when he said "we will get advice from people around us", not sure if that is a good thing or not judging from the past decisions.

They're going to consult with Glenn Roeder aren't they

We need to approach Lambert today, if we haven't already, and make him an offer he can't refuse. This to me includes Faulkner having nothing to do with the football side of things.

I just hope it isnt Lambert.

He is miserable, his football is one dimensional and there is something about him I dont like at all. Plus he wears a tracksuit, I dont like managers that do this. they should look like they are in charge instead of trying to look like one of the lads.(this is only a monor gripe of mine :lol: )

Hopefully Norwich will refuse permission to speak to him as he wont do anything special. I thinks its time we changed our football approach like Houllieer started to do, I would like to see Martinez or Brendan Rodgers over Paul Lambert any day of the week.

I have a feeling that Lerner may yet again suprise us and as a dark horse I dont think Lee Clark would be a bad bet at the bookies.

Are you serious?? Have you actually seen Norwich play?

Yes I have plenty of times. They are straight out of the MON direct counter attack copybook. The majority of Villa fans seem desperate for this again.

I think the next 24/48 hours we will know who's a real possibility and who's out.

Until I hear PL, RM or AVB or Rafa say no I will stick that i think they could be the front 4. Infact I read that sources close to Rafa say he's interested.

He is miserable, his football is one dimensional and there is something about him I dont like at all. Plus he wears a tracksuit, I dont like managers that do this. they should look like they are in charge instead of trying to look like one of the lads.(this is only a monor gripe of mine :lol: )

Hopefully Norwich will refuse permission to speak to him as he wont do anything special. I thinks its time we changed our football approach like Houllieer started to do, I would like to see Martinez or Brendan Rodgers over Paul Lambert any day of the week.

I have a feeling that Lerner may yet again suprise us and as a dark horse I dont think Lee Clark would be a bad bet at the bookies.

Lambert has a plan A and a plan B, he knows how to get the best out of his players and adjust the system with the right players in the right place.

I'd take either Martinez, Lambert or Rodgers. The only concern i would have is Martinez's teams can concede a few goals. However if we see an improvement on last season with decent football i will be happy. This will be a long transistion period and I am sure either of tbhese managers with the right backing can definately move us to the top half of the table again.

Yes I have plenty of times. They are straight out of the MON direct counter attack copybook. The majority of Villa fans seem desperate for this again.
Well they just aren't, I'm sorry. Lambert's tactics are far more varied. And another important point is that he rotates his squad, so EVEN IF he was playing the way O'Neill does, then his sides wouldn't get tired in March. But he doesn't. He changes losing teams. He rotates his sides. I've heard him described as O'Neill but with tactics. If you add in the ability to rotate a squad then ... oh I dunno. I think I'm going around in circles :)

Ugh, in typical fashion, Dave Whelan is going to be on SSN to talk about the interest in Roberto Martinez. Expect him to disrespect AVFC yet again, attention-seeking dickface.

Anyone else heard any rumours about Lambert supposedly leaving Norwich today?

Someone just questioned it on another site that's all.

It's probably not true. Twatter, etc.

The way I see it, is that 'he who shall not be named' was obviously brought in to lower our expectations. Clearly, our expectations cannot be lower than simply being happy with not being relegated.

RL now has the opportunity to bring in a younger manager who can try and develop the club and instil a footballing philosophy. Essentially, the stupidity in appointing the Ginger One has now bought any new manager much more time with the fans.

Say, for example, we'd have hired Martinez last year and results hadn't gone his way by Christmas, would we have been trying to hound him out the door? Its quite likey (a la Houllier). Our patience was still a little short as it was only 18 months since we were chasing 4th. At present, if we bring in a Martinez, a Lambert, a Rodgers, a Poyet, we would probably be more inclined to give them a bit longer to get the job right as we now accept that we don't have a squad capable of competing in the top half of the league.

Does that make sense?

RL and PF need to make sure they get this next appointment right, otherwise thats three managers in three years who haven't been up to the task.

Lambert has a plan A and a plan B, he knows how to get the best out of his players and adjust the system with the right players in the right place.

I'd take either Martinez, Lambert or Rodgers. The only concern i would have is Martinez's teams can concede a few goals. However if we see an improvement on last season with decent football i will be happy. This will be a long transistion period and I am sure either of tbhese managers with the right backing can definately move us to the top half of the table again.

Wigan conceeded 62 goals this season, Lamberts Norwich conceeded 66

Right? So whats your point?

Lambert's Norwich scored 52, won 12 and finished 12th.

Martinez's Wigan scored 44, won 11 and finished 15th.

Wigan won less, lost more, scored fewer, and had a worse goal difference. Not great for an established PL team or manager.

Lambert in his first season, with a squad for the most part he had used in League 1 achieved more on less money. THere is no contest between the two. It must be Lambert.

There is only one man for the job!

2015597.png

I'm not sure if you are taking the piss, but I did mention a few times that I would have preferred him to Mcleish, and we would never have been in this situation. He is young enough, and is mentored by GH, hence the scouting, and style of play etc would be in the same vein.

He is miserable, his football is one dimensional and there is something about him I dont like at all. Plus he wears a tracksuit, I dont like managers that do this. they should look like they are in charge instead of trying to look like one of the lads.(this is only a monor gripe of mine )

god this laughable

have you seen norwich this season? are you not getting him getting confused with mcleish!

Very true…by the way we only conceded 53!!

On the flip side Lamberts Norwich scored 52 making them the 7th highest goal scorers in the premier division compared to Wigans 42.

Anyway I would welcome either Lambert or Martinez.

I just don’t understand how you have drawn the conclusion that Lamberts teams are one dimensional?

If you get a chance watch their victories over Spurs and Swansea both of which show a tactical astuteness rarely seen at Villa Park.