General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Lambert is not a risk. He has had consecutive promotions. That is hugely more impressive than just the usual promotion. And it means that his comfortable midtable Premier League finish was achieved with a League One flavour to his squad. If people can't see that Lambert is the real deal then they're beyond help. We won't get Lambert if we wait. I think we'd get him now, but even that will be a struggle. He is the next big thing to emerge from British football management and we need him here now.
You rate him, then? :lol:

Lambert is not a risk. He has had consecutive promotions. That is hugely more impressive than just the usual promotion. And it means that his comfortable midtable Premier League finish was achieved with a League One flavour to his squad. If people can't see that Lambert is the real deal then they're beyond help. We won't get Lambert if we wait. I think we'd get him now, but even that will be a struggle. He is the next big thing to emerge from British football management and we need him here now.

Who was the last big thing?

Can we please get one thing straight…..Lambert is not like MON.

Lambert has built his reputation on his ability to

(1) adapt his tactics to exploit the oppositions weaknesses. (pre match and in game!)

(2) An ability to rotate his squad and not over rely on any players

Yes he does prefer to employ direct football but then again so do most mangers in Europe!!

I think the only downside I can find with Lambert is that his standards may be lower. I don't mean that ambition wise, but in players. He may look at the likes of Warnock and compare them to players he's seen at Norwich in training and keep them on as they are "good" to him..

Let me return the compliment.

nail.gif

I'll add that if we do appoint Lambert it will be the second thing on the trot that Lerner will have done right and maybe, just maybe, point to the fact that he is learning and listening. He would then need to back Lambert with a boat load of reddies and jobs a good un.

I agree with what you are saying bri, but the next big thing isnt going to throw his career down the notorious Villa Park drain. Managing this club has destroyed the reputations of just about everyone to have sat in that dugout over the past thirty years with only one or two exceptions. Managers graveyard. Coming to Villa would be a huge gamble for Lambert, esepecially given the state of our finances, and to be frank, if I was him I wouldnt touch us with a bargepole.

Much more likely to be Rodgers imo, as Martinez is surely going to bigger fish than us also. There is also the matter of last summer's debacle where Martinez played us for the fools we appear to be. i think it would be a mistake to go back there after that, he doesnt seem to respect the Villa based on that

My one big fear about the like Lambert, Rogers and McDermott, is this a season too early for them - there’s always the fear of 1st season wonders, eg Owen Coyle, who was flavour of the month last season, only to relegate Bolton this year.

Maybe but on the other hand are we a club that can afford to wait to see if they do it in year two or three.

Firstly we cannot e changing manager again in 12 months or two years IMO we need stability. And secondly if we wait for them to prove it in year two or three then other clubs far more attractive than us will come looking. There are clubs who will be looking for new managers in a year or two, Plop, Evernot even Le Arse and if Lambert or Rodgers had the choice then, not sure they would go with us. Not sure they would go with us now mind but I think we are better placed now because if they are looking to move they do not have much choice.

I think Lambert is looking to move to the next step, I think we are ideal for him and I would love to see him here. I just hope he can be persuaded and I hope we try to persuade him bebfore the boggies do

So to conclude, you agree they may be 'flavour of the month' / first season wonders and that Villa cannot afford to change manager again next year but we should still try and bring in Lambert....?? its a risk bringing him in. If Villa need stability then I personally think its a risk too far.

No.

I am saying it is a difficult choice, we have to weigh up all the options of this type of appointment. But I conclude by saying we should go for Lambert, that , IMO, he is an ideal fit for us and we an ideal fit for him at this time. It may be a risk but I think it is a risk waiting to see how he does in year two or three and then saying "wish we would have got him". I do think he is the real deal

We need stability for sure. But that comes from having the goodwill and success, that allows the manager the time to bring further success. I think the next manager will automatically have some goodwill from not being Mcleish, but that does not mean that that is good enough to allow him the time to do stuff. It also has to be the right manager with a shared vision, a plan to get there and a track record to back that up. It has to be an ambitious manager as well in many respects.

Sad to say this but we are not the end point in clubs, we are a stepping stone now to bigger and better clubs. Managers who want to get to those bigger and better clubs will look at us as the ideal opportunity to help them get there in two or three years time. This was another problem with Mcleish for me. He was never going to get there, we are the pinnacle of his career, there was nothing for him to strive for personally.

Lambert, IMO, will be looking to progress personally and that ambition will not allow him to fail in this job.

So it may be a risk, every appointment is actually. If there is a risk free managerial appointment then show me who it is. IMO Lambert is a risk worth taking while we still have the option of taking it.

I guiess my post was basically saying strike now while the iron is hot

The only thing I don't fully agree with is the notion that Villa should be a stepping stone. We can only be a stepping stone if the manager is successful and if a manager has success with Villa, then there are very very few bigger clubs. At the moment only City, United and Chelsea are bigger clubs than a successful Villa and for City and Chelsea it is only because of the financial backing. We can "easily" be as big as Arsenal and Spurs - just look at Newcastle's chance in fortune.

So I think that for the right manager Villa can be the greatest club not owned by oil sheik.

There is always a downside (Risk) to any managerial appointment. Ron Atkinson was relegated with Sheff Weds, Brain Little had only managed around 12 top flight games - John Gregory - Non at all. Roy Hodgson flopped at Liverpool. At first glance Houllier has a great track record.

I really think it needs closer examination than that. Houllier and Mcleish were never right for us and looked flawed from the outset.

I am 'hoping' that Faulkner and Lerner have grasped wot a lot of us on here know - you can't fudge the manager position - I hope they are more determined, and crafty to get there man. They acted swiftly to dismiss mcleish - i hope they are equally decisive in pursuit of the new guy - if we wait 5 weeks and they unveil Steve Bruce its gonna be one hell of a let down !

I hope its lambert - there is the risk he could be a one season wonder - but there are no sure things in appointing managers - on balance he looks the best. - I still dunno how he would get along with Faulkner !!

I agree with what you are saying bri, but the next big thing isnt going to throw his career down the notorious Villa Park drain. Managing this club has destroyed the reputations of just about everyone to have sat in that dugout over the past thirty years with only one or two exceptions. Managers graveyard. Coming to Villa would be a huge gamble for Lambert, esepecially given the state of our finances, and to be frank, if I was him I wouldnt touch us with a bargepole.

Much more likely to be Rodgers imo, as Martinez is surely going to bigger fish than us also. There is also the matter of last summer's debacle where Martinez played us for the fools we appear to be. i think it would be a mistake to go back there after that, he doesnt seem to respect the Villa based on that

I think attracting him here is a big problem for us agreed. But that does not mean we should try as he is the best man for it IMO

My one big fear about the like Lambert, Rogers and McDermott, is this a season too early for them - there’s always the fear of 1st season wonders, eg Owen Coyle, who was flavour of the month last season, only to relegate Bolton this year.

Maybe but on the other hand are we a club that can afford to wait to see if they do it in year two or three.

Firstly we cannot e changing manager again in 12 months or two years IMO we need stability. And secondly if we wait for them to prove it in year two or three then other clubs far more attractive than us will come looking. There are clubs who will be looking for new managers in a year or two, Plop, Evernot even Le Arse and if Lambert or Rodgers had the choice then, not sure they would go with us. Not sure they would go with us now mind but I think we are better placed now because if they are looking to move they do not have much choice.

I think Lambert is looking to move to the next step, I think we are ideal for him and I would love to see him here. I just hope he can be persuaded and I hope we try to persuade him bebfore the boggies do

So to conclude, you agree they may be 'flavour of the month' / first season wonders and that Villa cannot afford to change manager again next year but we should still try and bring in Lambert....?? its a risk bringing him in. If Villa need stability then I personally think its a risk too far.

Lambert isn't "flavour of the month"

He's had 3 really excellent seasons. Just because they're not in the Prem doesn't mean they don't count.

IMHO, if we don't persuade Lambert, someone else will. And in 2 years, or sooner, we'll be looking at him and thinking "i wish we'd got him to manage Aston Villa"

(unless of course who we actually appoint is even better. but I think that's unlikely. To me, Lambert is the best available/gettable)

If people can't see that Lambert is the real deal then they're beyond help.

I can't see that Ireland is the 'real deal' and its been suggest that I'm beyond help by some lol.

Thankfully on this occasion I do share your point of view.

Lambert would be my choice but if its not possible I really hope the board go for a young up and coming manager who has the bit between his teeth and takes no sh1t.

I really dont want us to go down the premiership experience crap that they came out with last time. That just gets you failed has beens. Much better to take a calculated gamble on a younger model

Thissy thissy this this

I feel we've been down this road before BOF... ;)

I think the only thing that will stop us getting Lambert other than him saying no is if Liverpool fire Dalglish. We are the biggest club currently looking for a manager which puts us in a great position.