General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Dreamland: AVB

Happy with: Lambert, Martinez, Hughton, Di Matteo or Ranieri

No: Bruce, McCarthy, Clark, Di Canio, Poyet, Hoddle, Rafa, Curbishley, Big Sam, Sven etc.........

As much as we say it's not about where he comes from - and we're right, it's not about that - I still think that would count against Hughton. There's just no way Lerner would risk going back to our hated rival twice in two seasons and risk the wrath of the fans again. As much as it doesn't matter, it would be seen as two fingers up to us. So I think that's a non-starter, even if it's for the wrong reasons.

As much as we say it's not about where he comes from - and we're right, it's not about that - I still think that would count against Hughton. There's just no way Lerner would risk going back to our hated rival twice in two seasons and risk the wrath of the fans again. As much as it doesn't matter, it would be seen as two fingers up to us. So I think that's a non-starter, even if it's for the wrong reasons.
I agree. As I said before, any criticism of Hughton during his tenure would be just waved away as being because he came from SHA. I'm just sick and tired of hearing about them really. Hughton is a good manager though.

There is only one man for the job!

2015597.png

I'm not sure if you are taking the piss, but I did mention a few times that I would have preferred him to Mcleish, and we would never have been in this situation. He is young enough, and is mentored by GH, hence the scouting, and style of play etc would be in the same vein.

Agreed. He wasn't my choice last summer and he certainly wouldn't be my choice this summer but I really don't know why we didn't appoint him manager if everybody turned us down? It would've provided continuity and I'm certain we wouldn't have had such a horrible season with him in charge.

True. And I'm not convinced Hughton is good enough to take that kind of risk for anyway. Yes he's a promising coach, but frankly a relegated side should be getting in the playoffs. Blackpool have done better, yet there's little mention of Holloway..

And Hughton did get sacked by Newcastle, perhaps harshly, but perhaps there's a reason that a big club didn't have faith in him to rebuild their team?

So if that's the case Lambert would be available compensation free

Not my choice but that may be a factor

I think a rolling contract means he always has 1 year contract, hence we'd probably have to pay compensation for that year.

But yes it would be cheaper than getting someone who has long-term contract (e.g. Brendan Rodgers, who signed 3.5 yr contract in Feb 2012).

Martinez seemingly signed 3 yr contract last year, so would have 2 years left.

Martinez is now firm favourite to take the Liverpool job this summer.

(rumours flying around that Kenny Daglish has been sacked this afternoon).

Looks like we'll have a fight on our hands if we want him to manage Villa.

martinez is 5/2 for the liverpool job and 8/11 on for us.

lambert doesn't figure for them and is 15/8 for us.

as has been mentioned more than once by the club they want someone young so all the rafa talk, ranieri talk etc. aint gonna happen. even if i think ranieri coudl do us a job to be honest, he's built good teams in the past, he tends to **** up winnin gthings after doing all the hard work to build a squad that challenges...