Stan Petrov

LondonLax

On 09/07/2016 at 22:40, Richard said:

look fair play to petrov for playing 45 minutes and coming back from the illness he had, amazing . But 45 minutes against little more than a pub team does not mean he is or could be ready to take any part in a competitive game for Aston villa 

"They've had one pre-season game, of which Stan played 45 minutes.

I'm sure he's still proving his fitness. As great as it would be to have him, I doubt RDM will be offering him a deal until he shows he's fit enough to play. And play properly, not 45 mins against a pub team"

Seem to me to be similar opinions.

I have made no secret that I hope he gets a contract and plays.  If he does I will not shed a "wee tear" as an earlier post.  I will need a towel to dry my face.

RDM praised him for 100% commitment and effort.  IF Stan's 100% effort and commitment isn't enough to earn a one year playing contract (even though I think it will) it HAS to earn a contract as a coach or a player liaison (since it appears that role is currently empty.).

2 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

..,,,,,,. Looking at the pictures, Tweets and videos coming out of the training sessions I would put money on players pushing themselves harder than they ever have before because of his presence in the dressing room. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this

• Like 1

There is no way that Stan is going to want, or accept, a 'pity' contract. He will earn it on merit or won't take it. If he gets a playing contract then we will see him play at times, even though a 'normal' 37 year old wouldn't expect to play every game, but a contract will mean him being named in the squad regularly. I assume most people hope that's the case.

If it is a case of him not meeting the grade, or feeling it's for morale rather than his ability then I strongly suspect Stan will make that call before RDM has to. He'll either take a coaching role on (woukd be great alongside te youth team to begin with) or he will drop down another division - we know he just loves playing football.

I don't think anyone needs to fear him being offered, or him accepting, a contract based on sentiment. I just can't see that happening.

Hopefully he earns that year contract, 99.9% of fans will be backing him all the way. Come on Stan, we're behind you...!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Richard said:

"They've had one pre-season game, of which Stan played 45 minutes.

I'm sure he's still proving his fitness. As great as it would be to have him, I doubt RDM will be offering him a deal until he shows he's fit enough to play. And play properly, not 45 mins against a pub team"

Seem to me to be similar opinions.

Not really. I've given him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he will be fit. I was merely saying a contract offer wouldn't come until he'd proved it to management. I was being positive.

You've done the opposite. You've assumed he won't be fit and stated your opinion hasn't been changed by 45 minutes in a pre season friendly. You were, and this may come as a shock to some people, being overly negative. 

Edited by Stevo985

On 3/30/2012 at 20:39, villabromsgrove said:

Stan will be 33 years old in three months time, so his career is sadly over unless there's been an incorrect diagnosis.

I'm not picking on villabromsgrove here obviously, but I remember reading this at the time and thinking yep, that's Stan done on the pitch. Didn't even question it. 

Now look at the bugger! I'm welling up just thinking about him running out to the sound of the Holte End's roar once again. 

Please make it Stan. Keep fighting brother x

:D

• Like 1

I'll also add this - if Petrov doesn't earn a pro playing contract with The Villa, but he feels he can earn one elsewhere whether it be in The Championship, League One or even lower he should go do that.

There will be a spot here for him when he's ready to hang up his boots.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Has anyone been back to read the first few pages of this thread? Gut wrenching

Especially when you see who MADE that post. :(

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Especially when you see who MADE that post. :(

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Shit :(

Just had to look at this, went and had a look at what were seemingly his last few posts in VT, I obviously never met the chap, but, devastating. Got pretty emotional actually. What a fella. 

10 hours ago, Tayls said:

Just had to look at this, went and had a look at what were seemingly his last few posts in VT, I obviously never met the chap, but, devastating. Got pretty emotional actually. What a fella. 

It is gut wrenching. He was only 30. It brings it home that we all moan about irrelevant shit when we should all do our best to enjoy and cherish every day.

It is another reason that this is such a great story about Stan.  For what it is worth I think Stan will be able to contribute plenty on the pitch next season but if he is only fit enough to play 10 minutes of games for us then give him the contract. I know there have been a couple of naysayers on here but this goes way beyond what Stan can personally contribute on the pitch. The inspiration it will provide to his team mates is immeasurable. Not just that it will also inspire others facing their own battles with illness and show what is possible.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Â