Stan Petrov

LondonLax

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

because some football fans are knuckledraggers and might not take it well

Then they're still not going to take it well.

Mentioning it reinforces the idea that the rivalry is even remotely important when it comes to this. 

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

From the pictures of the game, which is all I have to go on, he looks SLIGHTLY overweight to me. 

However, that doesn't mean he'll be overweight by the time the season starts. He could easily shed 8-10lbs before then. Secondly, appearing slightly overweight doesn't mean he's not fit enough to play. 

Agree. Frank Lampard looked slightly 'overweight' his entire career and didn't do him any harm. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Then they're still not going to take it well.

Mentioning it reinforces the idea that the rivalry is even remotely important when it comes to this. 

Earlier today you were criticising a poster for getting worked up about nothing at all :P

Last year our players were consistently booed at home. Me personally, I've never hated a villa squad like I did last year. 

I don't care if he can only play the last 5 mins in the last home game of the season. give him a 1 yr deal and let us enjoy something villa related again. 

• Like 2

Even if he plays 1 minute of football for us this season it will be remarkable. This man is an inspiration to come back from what he had. We should be just happy he is in a Villa shirt again. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Richard said:

What I have said is I would hope we could do better than a 37 year old who effectively retired a few years ago.

And it's been pointed out numerous times on this thread that if we can do better, Stan won't get a contract, so there's nothing for you to worry about there.

I think though, your argument is slightly different than what you've posted here, since in your opinion, Stan will definitely not be good enough given what he's been through, so having him train with the first team is a waste of everyone's time. Would you agree?

On 7/10/2016 at 14:01, a m ole said:

As long as he's as fit of the rest of the squad, right?

rlfBl19.jpg

Fixed for you to represent actual current accuracy bro, you can thank me later..... ;)

Unless you were just trying to be a word removed and facts don't matter? Doubt that would ever be the case though. :trollface:

Petrov.jpg

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Bennett thinks he'll do well

Stiliyan Petrov: Returning Aston Villa midfielder can play 'big part' says Joe Bennett

Sharethis page
Stilyan Petrov
Stiliyan Petrov played the last of his 219 senior appearances for Aston Villa against Arsenal in May 2012

Stiliyan Petrov can be a "big part" of Aston Villa's season after his recovery from cancer says defender Joe Bennett. 

Bulgarian Petrov, 37, made his comeback on Villa's pre-season tour of Austria, just over four years after being diagnosed with acute leukaemia.

"It was really good to see him back out there," Bennett, 26, told BBC WM 95.6.

"He's obviously been through a tough time and I've got a lot of respect for him and you can see, when he's out there, he can still play football."

Former captain Petrov, who retired in May 2013, now has his sights set on making a professional return with the Championship club and has been building his fitness during pre-season with Villa.

Click me

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fixed for you to represent actual current accuracy bro, you can thank me later..... ;)

Unless you were just trying to be a word removed and facts don't matter? Doubt that would ever be the case though. :trollface:

Petrov.jpg

The point was very clearly that people are saying Petrov looks overweight and unfortunately too unfit to contribute while Gabby was playing in the Premier League last season in similar shape.

Here's a few facts for you: Petrov is 37 and has recovered from potentially terminal leukaemia. Gabby has just recovered from a weekend in Dubai.

I'm not sure why me highlighting this to support that idea that Petrov can still contribute warrants you backhandedly calling me a word removed but whatever man. I get the impression you know him or friends of his in real life and that's fine, but it's really not worth your energy being so sensitive about criticism.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 18:07, Richard said:

....evidence of him playing competitively will do that and should he contribute to a number of championship games for us in a season we need every player to have a positive contribution to get promotion, I'd happily admit to changing my opinion. At the moment there is nothing to try and change my opinion except those opinions from other fans, ....What I have said is I would hope we could do better than a 37 year old who effectively retired a few years ago.  This is nothing to do with a lack of admiration for what he has been through and survived , or his strength of character in doing that. This is to do with what playing contribution he can make in a tough season for us. This is my doubt.  I don't think he can, but again that will only be proved or otherwise if he plays....

I think you make a valid point Richard.....fwiw

I must confess the prospect of Stan getting fit and turning out for us does fill me with pride and admiration for him and a result I could not envisage, but would cherish.

My heart tells me its right to give him the opportunity,my head is not so sure and more inclined to see Richards point.

However, i do see the point of what have we got to lose and everything to gain.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

The point was very clearly that people are saying Petrov looks overweight and unfortunately too unfit to contribute while Gabby was playing in the Premier League last season in similar shape.

Here's a few facts for you: Petrov is 37 and has recovered from potentially terminal leukaemia. Gabby has just recovered from a weekend in Dubai.

I'm not sure why me highlighting this to support that idea that Petrov can still contribute warrants you backhandedly calling me a word removed but whatever man. I get the impression you know him or friends of his in real life and that's fine, but it's really not worth your energy being so sensitive about criticism.

I'm on your side with regards to Petrov, and have been throughout the whole thread, i'm just not on side with the bashing Gabby at every opportunity even when things have zero to do with him. Me saying "trying to be a word removed" was tongue in cheek, just a joke, hence the troll face.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm on your side with regards to Petrov, and have been throughout the whole thread, i'm just not on side with the bashing Gabby at every opportunity even when things have zero to do with him. Me saying "trying to be a word removed" was tongue in cheek, just a joke, hence the troll face.

cool  :cheers: no drama

its certainly a very tough decision to make, do we sign a 37 year old who hasnt played for 4 years, or do we sign a holte hero, a fans favourite, a player that always gave everything to the cause and tried his damned best to win a game? who was passionate about his job?

imo, i would love to see villa sign stan, even if its only for this season, even a bit part contribution would be more than what most of the wasters did last season

We really have nothing to lose signing him for another year.

From a financial perspective it won't be much, we can play him in the cup games which will not matter as promotion will be our main aim, he will be an inspiration to have around the squad, I fail to see any negatives it's not like he's going to be a regular starter week in week out?

I think the sheikh of muscles will get him up to peak fitness and he will surprise us all

Edited by AshVilla

Â