Stan Petrov

LondonLax

It's just got to happen, even if he only plays a bit part. The club was toxic and negative last season. Even if we don't manage to offload the negative influences, who aren't fit to tie Stan's boots, the positivity brought by his presence will outweigh all that. A bit like atom science in school, we'll move from having a negative charge to having an overall positive one in just one single move.

I hope that the likes of Lescott, Richards, Gabby and co. take a long hard look at themselves and feel ashamed.

The word 'inspirational' just doesn't do Stan justice.

• Like 1

This is what football should be all about. 

I think it's amazing. The most heroic and legendary moment I've known as a villa fan. Truly inspirational.

I hope the other players look at him and really take note. Don't want to make this into a negative post, but regardless of any situation, they should surely now realise that they're efforts last year were beyond inexcusable.

I'd like to make a bold statement that we would have not gone down, certainly not in the pathetic manner we did, with this guy in the side.

You can start every game for me stan this season, next season and every season that follows. I know that whatever your circumstance you will be giving your best.

7 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

This is what football should be all about. 

I think it's amazing. The most heroic and legendary moment I've known as a villa fan. Truly inspirational.

I hope the other players look at him and really take note. Don't want to make this into a negative post, but regardless of any situation, they should surely now realise that they're efforts last year were beyond inexcusable.

I'd like to make a bold statement that we would have not gone down, certainly not in the pathetic manner we did, with this guy in the side.

You can start every game for me stan this season, next season and every season that follows. I know that whatever your circumstance you will be giving your best.

This is all getting a little bit over the top.

• Like 2

It's great that he has come back and is involved in the friendly matches,  but doesn't really look fit enough to play competitively.  It's a wonderful thing but no man is bigger than this football club,  automatic starts?  No thanks. 

Don't mind him being in the squad,  being a leader in the dressing room and playing occasionally.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

This is all getting a little bit over the top.

Why is it?

Right now, because let's face it, we can not see into the future, all we have is a team of players who are a disgrace. Sure things might be brighter soon, but how many new dawns have we looked forward to?

Going off recent times, I'd much prefer 11 players nowhere near good or fit enough, but who give their all than the dismal pathetic shite we've had to endure.

It would make me prouder as a fan. I'm singing from the rooftops to friends/family about villa and petrov. Nothing has made me do that over the last half a decade.

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

It's great that he has come back and is involved in the friendly matches,  but doesn't really look fit enough to play competitively.  It's a wonderful thing but no man is bigger than this football club,  automatic starts?  No thanks. 

Don't mind him being in the squad,  being a leader in the dressing room and playing occasionally.  

Who is suggesting automatic starts?

Is pre season over then? Final judgement in?

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Who is suggesting automatic starts?

Is pre season over then? Final judgement in?

Woodytom did.  He said he could start every game this year and next year. 

No,  pre season isn't over,  but he's over weight and 37 going into a 46 game  season.  Let's be realistic here,  a squad player would be an incredible achievement still.  

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

No,  pre season isn't over,  but he's over weight and 37 going into a 46 game  season.  Let's be realistic here,  a squad player would be an incredible achievement still.  

Yes but my thoughts are not just down to current fitness and talent. I've always stood by that the first thing I want is 11 players giving their all. Should we have players who give as much to the cause as stan does and are in addition more capable then of course I'm not going to suggest starting him. There is very little to suggest we have that yet tho... given the pathetic effort from them all last season.

I think people are rightly ecstatic that he's come this far. To go from being our captain to genuinely fearing for his life, coming this far alone shows a level of character not often found in any walk of life.  He cannot help but have a positive affect on many members of the squad.

I also believe that most fans would want him to have a place in the squad on merit - as I'm sure Stan would himself. For me, if his fitness getting close then it's a no-brainer as this will improve on a daily basis. The footballing brain will still be there but, as you rightly say, he's 37 years old and won't be able to last an entire season. 

However if he's anywhere near the level of a Championship player in terms of footballing ability alone, as a leader, as someone to have in the squad, someone that can come on to the pitch when the team needs a lift, as someone to hold his nerve and lead the dressing room in (hopefully) a promotion challenging side, whilst pushing his teammates as hard as they dare, he fully deserves a place in the squad IMO.

• Like 1

Let's look at this 'taking one of the valuable squad positions' thing.

GK - Gollini, Bunn, Guzan, Steer

DF - Hutton, Okore, Elphick, Baker, Clark, Bennett, Amavi, (1 new DF)  Lescott, Richards, Cissokho

MF - Traore, Gil, Gardner, Westwood, Gana, Veretout, Grealish, (2 new MF) Bacuna, Sanchez, Sinclair

FW - Ayew, Kozak, Gestede (2 new FW) Agbonlahor

I've highlighted the players I think we are likely to keep. That's 19. Five more signings takes us to 24, providing none of the players I've highlighted are replaced by those signings (we might sign a centre back to replace Clark, for example). Players under the age of 21 are unlimited, so our current youngsters and Tshibola who was born one day after the cut off can all be involved.

So even if we have to keep a lot of the shit from last season, there is more than enough room for Petrov to have a number.

21 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Why is it?

Right now, because let's face it, we can not see into the future, all we have is a team of players who are a disgrace. Sure things might be brighter soon, but how many new dawns have we looked forward to?

Going off recent times, I'd much prefer 11 players nowhere near good or fit enough, but who give their all than the dismal pathetic shite we've had to endure.

It would make me prouder as a fan. I'm singing from the rooftops to friends/family about villa and petrov. Nothing has made me do that over the last half a decade.

I get this, Tom.

If having money, the best facilities, playing at Villa park and some other fantastic grounds cannot inspire certain players to put the maximum amount of effort in - some of whom call themselves fans of the club - then perhaps the prospect of being out-trained and out-fought by a 37 year old might just trigger a reaction in whatever profession pride they have left.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

1) Is he actually overweight? Can somebody prove this either way, because it seems incomprehensible to me that he would come all this way and stop 15lbs short of where he needs to be. 

2) Either way, were not going into the season yet. 4 weeks to go. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if there is a squad size limit in the championship, but even if there is, Petrov has to take a place. Even if he only a makes 1 appearance it will still be worth it. He will be such a big influence on everyone, but especially the likes of Grealish and Gardner. 

I was one of those that didn't think he was that a player great pre illness (even though looking at the team in his absence has certainly shown that he was way above everyone else we've had recently). But even I can see that his attitude and behavior will be hugely influential on the team, as a registered player it will have more impact than that of a coach (which I think he'll take up after 1 yr).

30 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Why is it?

This is exactly what I mean. I want to get promoted. This club is bigger than any one man, and the longer we stay in this division, the more difficult it becomes to get out of it, and the further away from us even average Premier League teams get.

Leave it up to Petrov, Di Matteo and the rest of the team to make the correct decision. Whether we on here think he should have place in the squad or not, next season, is neither here nor there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

I really struggle to see the negatives here. In a world where the footballing mercenary is more prevalent than ever, we have a player that has done pretty much most things one could expect in the game and is determined to play for us once more. He's a national hero in Bulgaria, captained his country, captained Celtic and, of course, has captained this fine club. He's fought off a life threatening illness and has subsequently worked tirelessly of his own accord to bust a gut just to put on an Aston Villa shirt again.

I very much doubt he needs the money and I'm sure a lucrative career in broadcasting could have been an easier option, but when was the last time we saw anyone so determined to play for our club? We have local boys that couldn't have given less of a shit last season, yet here is a man would literally give everything his mind and body will allow just to try and make the grade.

That's a leader, a fighter and a captain that you want in the dressing room. Whether he sets foot on the pitch in a competitive match or not, this is a man I want to help us fight our way back into the Premier League again.

There aren't any negatives, people are inventing them as there's not much else to moan about right now.

• Like 1

Â